GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Production ready Volkswagen Golf GTI will debut at the Geneva Motor Show n

mkvhaz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I have a feeling that the US GTI might only end up with XDS. Since that nice 'torque vectoring system' was developed for 'small-winding english roads', they'll probably nix it for the sake of lowering the cost of the GTI in the North American market. Or, make it an optional feature.

I had the same thought when I first heard about the two different models being offered. I think it is a trategy for VW to stay competitive performance wise and yet keep the cost down for the base model which is fine for most consumers. That means that the performance model will be priced to be low volume (read expensive) and therefore very likely not fit for the NA market. It would probably hurt R sales too much so something has to give.

DAS_STIG

Banned
i don't follow how an expensive GTI would hurt R sales. i think it's quite the opposite. people shopping for something FWD with decent power see MS3, focus ST, VW GTI. then they spy the GTI performance pack... extra power? sure why not. but wait, i can get the golf R with 70 more hp and awd for even a bit more. car purchases are very emotionally driven.

Nuieve

Hope they keep the red stripe as is -looks great on white GTI which I want, you guys can paint it out yourself if you want. :) I also love the new steering wheel (by looks alone).

One thing I definitely don't love is the fake carbon fiber dash. MUST GO. I hope that nice black glossy piano finish will be available.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Hope they keep the red stripe as is -looks great on white GTI which I want, you guys can paint it out yourself if you want. :) I also love the new steering wheel (by looks alone).

One thing I definitely don't love is the fake carbon fiber dash. MUST GO. I hope that nice black glossy piano finish will be available.
it's not fake carbon fiber. it's supposed to mimic the honeycomb pattern of the grill on the GTI. from certain angles/pictures it looks like carbon fiber though. i'm going to reserve judgement on that until i see it in person because i think it'll actually look good when you're sitting right there.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
it's not fake carbon fiber. it's supposed to mimic the honeycomb pattern of the grill on the GTI. from certain angles/pictures it looks like carbon fiber though. i'm going to reserve judgement on that until i see it in person because i think it'll actually look good when you're sitting right there.

Yes, it's not fake carbon fiber.:confused:
The black inserts on the Mk6 GTi have a pattern as well, though a different one.
But that's not fake carbon fiber on the 7.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Fair enough. :cool:

mkvhaz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
i don't follow how an expensive GTI would hurt R sales. i think it's quite the opposite. people shopping for something FWD with decent power see MS3, focus ST, VW GTI. then they spy the GTI performance pack... extra power? sure why not. but wait, i can get the golf R with 70 more hp and awd for even a bit more. car purchases are very emotionally driven.

I don't follow your argument, it seems like you just proved my point. History has shown that expensive hot hatches don't sell well in the US (which is sad) so I just don't see them selling the performance pack here. We did not get the GTI 30 or 35 edition nor will we get the S3 hatchback. Were lucky that we still get the R.

DAS_STIG

Banned
yeah, but you're saying we won't get the performance pack because it will take away R sales when it's the other way around. we don't get the performance pack because the R will take away the sales.

either way... who knows. maybe VW will bring the more powerful engine here but leave out the other goodies like brakes to keep costs down. americans in general prefer more power so it would help sales.

mkvhaz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
yeah, but you're saying we won't get the performance pack because it will take away R sales when it's the other way around. we don't get the performance pack because the R will take away the sales.

either way... who knows. maybe VW will bring the more powerful engine here but leave out the other goodies like brakes to keep costs down. americans in general prefer more power so it would help sales.

Ah, I see your meaning. I agree with you there, either way it's unlikely we'll get it. I guess it all depends on price and where it will be manufactured.

tman1

Ready to race!
Someone pointed out that the arc that the red stripe draws through the headlights and grill mimics the grin of the Fast.
Might they plan on resurrecting the Fast campaign?
In that case, the stripe through the headlights might be part of the plan.

yeah i saw that post. could be... i have a fast at home haha. bought it from a guy over on mkv cause my 09 was already after the campaign :(.

ME ME!! It was ME!! :D

Aftershok

Here's to hoping that the production fixes the gripes everyone's had. It seems almost disingenuous to call this a concept and then reveal the exact same thing almost 6 months later with such feigned pomp and circumstance. Especially that steering wheel. Urf. With what was explained about the production schedule, there might be a glimmer of hope.