GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Production ready Volkswagen Golf GTI will debut at the Geneva Motor Show n

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
We’ve already seen the Volkswagen Golf GTI Mk7 in concept unveiled at the Paris Motor Show. But we have to wait until next March’s Geneva show before the full production model is launched.

The news comes from Dr Ulrich Hackenberg, VW’s board member for product development, who confirmed that the production car will debut in the spring.

However, he added that the GTI will “deliver a stunning drive”, thanks to the car's new torque vectoring system.

The system is different to the XDS differential, which is standard on all Mk7 models, as it doesn’t use the car’s brakes. Instead, it features electronically controlled clutches on each half-shaft, allowing power to be moved between each front wheel without affecting forward motion.

Hackenberg added that the GTi “was made for small, winding English roads.” - http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/60619/vw-hot-hatches-geneva

If you already like the concept GTI, no worries, as the production model is expected to be very close to the concept form.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
That's a long wait...:(

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Must be maturing the mass production tooling. I'd suspect these are ET trial builds which is still considered Prototype builds.

I'll retract my statement about saying they were production level.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Must be maturing the mass production tooling. I'd suspect these are ET trial builds which is still considered Prototype builds.

I'll retract my statement about saying they were production level.

Grambles was wrong!

Either way... Polo R? Sounds interesting. Still no word on the Golf R though... annoying.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Still time to switch that steering wheel! ;)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I think this is good. It gives them time to find out what everyone hates about it, makes a quick switch and then everyone is happy. I'm hoping they fix the wheel. THe headlights are a toss up. I'd still like them regardless.

DAS_STIG

Banned
headlights i think they'll change simply because it's an easy switch. they already have the setup in place for the regular golf to not have the red stripe... on the other hand the wheel is kinda tough i imagine. their suppliers probably already have specs and although the buttons might not be getting made already the tooling is probably purchased/made.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
headlights i think they'll change simply because it's an easy switch. they already have the setup in place for the regular golf to not have the red stripe... on the other hand the wheel is kinda tough i imagine. their suppliers probably already have specs and although the buttons might not be getting made already the tooling is probably purchased/made.

I dont think it's an exclusive wheel though. I havent done the research to see otherwise, but if the supplier is still producing the older wheel I would assume it would be easy to switch back. A simple application and part number change.

DAS_STIG

Banned
actually my bad, looks like it does share many things with the beetle wheel (forgot about that). there are differences though. especially the lower arm. older wheel might also make things tough due to different # of buttons, wiring, and ECU coding.

not saying it can't be done if the response is extremely negative, but i think they'll need a really polarized response to go through that hassle.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
actually my bad, looks like it does share many things with the beetle wheel (forgot about that). there are differences though. especially the lower arm. older wheel might also make things tough due to different # of buttons, wiring, and ECU coding.

not saying it can't be done if the response is extremely negative, but i think they'll need a really polarized response to go through that hassle.

Agreed. Which is why I stuck with my "what you see is what you get" sort of thing.

The headlights, I'm sure, are on a temporary basis since its a simple paint process switch from red to gloss black.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Someone pointed out that the arc that the red stripe draws through the headlights and grill mimics the grin of the Fast.
Might they plan on resurrecting the Fast campaign?
In that case, the stripe through the headlights might be part of the plan.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Someone pointed out that the arc that the red stripe draws through the headlights and grill mimics the grin of the Fast.
Might they plan on resurrecting the Fast campaign?
In that case, the stripe through the headlights might be part of the plan.

yeah i saw that post. could be... i have a fast at home haha. bought it from a guy over on mkv cause my 09 was already after the campaign :(.

Becks

Ready to race!
Change the steering wheel out for something less bulbous, and remove the red stripes from the headlights. Otherwise the rest is growing nicely on me. The timing of arrival is fine for me, as I want to sell my current ride next summer/fall.

plat

Ready to race!
I have a feeling that the US GTI might only end up with XDS. Since that nice 'torque vectoring system' was developed for 'small-winding english roads', they'll probably nix it for the sake of lowering the cost of the GTI in the North American market. Or, make it an optional feature.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Not a bad assumption, but to toy with the NA like that is just wrong.