GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIVE from Paris Show: Debut of 2013 GTI and Golf [Photos]

DAS_STIG

Banned
I think diff is under more stress though, especially if it has to alter the path of torque flow since its acting on engine power AND tractive force...

as does the transmission.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Yeah, a little bummed about that.

Not denying it. But time will tell if it can handle it. VW is good about putting safety measures in there in case of failure. If we're running K04 power levels, we will definitely need it to be robust enough to handle the corners. Let's pray that it does. If not, let's pray that the solution is simple :)

i'm praying that the golf R will be cheap because i'm tired of FWD :(

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
i'm praying that the golf R will be cheap because i'm tired of FWD :(

Yeah. I'm assuming it'll be the same price if not a little more. AWD is the tits on this platform. 300hp is definitely sounding really nice.

FWD is great as long as you're not pushing gobs upon gobs of hp which is what we all do right? K04 is really REALLY pushing the limits of control in spirited driving scenarios. Even with summer tires, traction is hard to get down low.

I hope the clutch is more sturdy than the current generation!

Figure with 258ftlbs......it HAS to be right? I've talked with a Quality at VW and he seems to think they've considered a LOT of the warranty claims they had from the manual. We'll see if it trickles into production

marchone

I would expect a price for the US that will reach $40K with manual, sunroof, and nav. More with DSG.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I would expect a price for the US that will reach $40K with manual, sunroof, and nav. More with DSG.

Speculation for the Golf R, correct?

DAS_STIG

Banned
i'm hoping it'll be a bit less than maybe even the current gen R... i mean the point of the MQB was to reduce costs, no? granted it depends just how many other new goodies they've developed for the R.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
i'm hoping it'll be a bit less than maybe even the current gen R... i mean the point of the MQB was to reduce costs, no? granted it depends just how many other new goodies they've developed for the R.

That's a good point, however the new driveline might offset those manufacturing savings. Still, you bring up a great point.

300hp + a lighter MQB setup? That'll be really nice.

J-Dub1488

Ready to race!
i will be waiting for this to purchase my next car :) So happy I waited.. Almost bought an mk6

marchone

Speculation for the Golf R, correct?

Yes, I am speculating pricing for the Mk7 Golf R at close to $40K for a fully loaded car. I doubt very much pricing will be lower than the Mk6 R. They sold every one they shipped and stopped taking orders a couple months ago. It will be a market-demand equation; not a volume sales proposition.

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
Yes, I am speculating pricing for the Golf R at close to $40K for a fully loaded car. I doubt very much pricing will be lower than the Mk6 R. They sold every one they shipped and stopped taking orders a couple months ago. It will be a market-demand equation; not a volume sales proposition.

I would not say the MK6 R has been THAT successful. Not a failure, but they are not moving that fast. My buddy sells VWs andbthebR inventory has been slower to move. Still two on the lot for almost 3 months now.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Can somebody explain me those straps around the rear springs?

They needed to lower the car! That's probably standard golf springs. Things like this happen - "aw sh*t the prototype xyz springs won't be delivered in time for Paris!! What are we gonna do?!"

"Why don't we just pull the springs together with some straps? Nobody's gonna look down there."

Last edited:

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
They needed to lower the car! That's probably standard golf springs. Things like this happen - "aw sh*t the prototype xyz springs won't be delivered in time for Geneva!! What are we gonna do?!"

"Why don't we just pull the springs together with some straps? Nobody's gonna look down there."

That or those are the real springs and VW wanted to make it look hotter for the show. My theory.