GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 wipers are s**t!

shadow2

Newbie with same problem

Only had my GT 1.4 ACT for 5 weeks but had the smearing issue since the start. Dealer was useless, put on 2 sets of blades 1st set Valeo 2nd set Bosch both sets OEM part and both complete rubbish, new arm tried but still just as bad.

I took matters under my control and got the aftermarket Bosch blades from windscreen wipers direct, problem solved. Why cant dealers be honest with you and so disappointed with VW for putting a substandard safety critical part on cars. Other than this love the car.

Tillysnanna

Newbie Here

Hi, Had my golf GTD for a month now and absolutely love it apart from the wipers!!!!

I've just read through all this thread and gone ahead and ordered the bosch wipers. Are they easy to replace being as I'm a middle aged female!!! Fingers crossed they fix the problem.

Essjay

Ready to race!
Newbie Here

Hi, Had my golf GTD for a month now and absolutely love it apart from the wipers!!!!

I've just read through all this thread and gone ahead and ordered the bosch wipers. Are they easy to replace being as I'm a middle aged female!!! Fingers crossed they fix the problem.

Just don't forget that there's a "service" position for the wipers that will move them to a point on the screen where they can be removed. There's a section in the manual that explains how!

PS. It's on the bottom of page 122 (unless they've recently updated the manual :D)

Last edited:

VDubber1

Ready to race!
*IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL GOLF MK7 OWNERS*
My Golf 2.0 GT TDi (150) was bought brand new in April 2013, it was the first golf to be entered into the VW Network for the smearing windscreen issue where over the past 11mths used me and my car as guinea pigs. After the car was only 3wks old they had gone through 3 sets of wiper blades and ripped out and replaced the windscreen....etc....etc
I wont bore you with all the details but can do if requested....bottom line is they replaced the car with a brand new GTi :)
There is a cure for this smearing but as VWUK failed to follow up with this after agreeing to replace the car your dealer will have no idea. They will replace your wipers with new 'optimised' ones which although might perform better than the standard ones the secret is to Clay your windscreen.
My GTi windscreen just started smearing after 4wks despite getting the car replaced due to this issue, so I bought a 'Clay Mitt' with detailer and performed this procedure myself. Then got the dealer to fit new optimised wipers and hey-presto 100% sorted!

Tillysnanna

Newbie Here

Hi Thanks so much for the information here. Especially about putting them in service position........ I wouldn't have thought of that!

VDubber1

Ready to race!
Remember and use a clay mitt on your windscreen if replacing your wipers. My VW retailer and I are trying to get VWUK to implement this as part of the PDI prior to customer delivery, it will stop all future wiper issues. Its crazy but VWUK will not pay the retailers for the clay kit....yet!

testcard

Ready to race!
I'm puzzled by what exotic substances will be removed by claying the windscreen compared to using a decent car shampoo or glass cleaner.

VDubber1

Ready to race!
There seems to be a contaminent on the windscreen that shampoo or cleaner alone cant shift. The clay mitt or bar removes this contaminent and along with the new optimised Bosch wipers that are being developed for VW gives amazing results.
Once we can get VWUK back round the table they will need to investigate their suppliers. I got a new screen fitted to my last Golf 7 after just 3wks and it was just the same.
I cant believe that this issue is still ongoing when we have a solution that can be rolled out to other customers??

Last edited:

Judesman

Ready to race!
My dealer "clayed" the windscreen with something VW sent them and it didn't make any difference. The dealer told me that the problem was caused by the adhesive on the notices that are stuck to the windscreen on delivery. The only thing that worked for me was Bosch Aerotwins.

Wolksvagen

Banned
*IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL GOLF MK7 OWNERS*
My Golf 2.0 GT TDi (150) was bought brand new in April 2013, it was the first golf to be entered into the VW Network for the smearing windscreen issue where over the past 11mths used me and my car as guinea pigs. After the car was only 3wks old they had gone through 3 sets of wiper blades and ripped out and replaced the windscreen....etc....etc
I wont bore you with all the details but can do if requested....bottom line is they replaced the car with a brand new GTi :)
There is a cure for this smearing but as VWUK failed to follow up with this after agreeing to replace the car your dealer will have no idea. They will replace your wipers with new 'optimised' ones which although might perform better than the standard ones the secret is to Clay your windscreen.
My GTi windscreen just started smearing after 4wks despite getting the car replaced due to this issue, so I bought a 'Clay Mitt' with detailer and performed this procedure myself. Then got the dealer to fit new optimised wipers and hey-presto 100% sorted!

If this were true, simply claying the windshield to solve the problem, then how would you explain this.

After three sets of VW blades, my smearing issue was not resolved. After fitting the Bosch aerotwin blades as linked in this thread my smearing problem was 100% history. I didn't clay the windshield or treat it to any deep cleaning other than regular hand washing of the entire car.

Others here have clayed the windshield with no success.

Claying is not the solution to those who have the smearing issue.

Re-designed OEM blades may work, Bosch Aerotwin are most likely to work.

testcard

Ready to race!
Hmmm. Still not totally convinced. If there was some form of sticky residue or glue left behind by notices stuck to the screen, then I'm not sure any wiper blade would clear the residue. The blade would simply glide over the glue, or spread it further across the screen.

VDubber1

Ready to race!
Pass??....All I can say is that this is my 2nd golf and on both cars after the windscreen was clayed and the most recent optimised wipers were fitted the cleaning performance was faultless. Incidently I have noticed that on both cars that the most recent wipers has a yellow graphic on the tip of the drivers side??