2013 Volkswagen Golf VII GTI concept revealed

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
golfmk7gti.jpg

mk7gti.jpg

mk7gti2.jpg

mk7gti1.jpg

These are the first official photos with the new Volkswagen Golf VII GTI which is scheduled to hit the market next spring, despite initial predictions that were referring to a 2013 autumn launch. According to AutoBild, this is a near-production concept that will be shown this week in Paris but the one that will go on sale will look almost the same.

At the heart of the hot hatch is a 2.0-liter TFSI turbo engine with 220 hp (164 kW), but Volkswagen will offer an optional performance package that will increase the output of the engine to 230 hp (171 kW). It has a peak torque of 258 lb-ft (350 Nm) and promises to provide a fuel consumption of 6.6 liters / 100 km (35.6 mpg US or 42.8 mpg UK).

The Golf VII GTI needs 6.6 seconds to perform the 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) sprint and can hit a top speed of 152 mph (246 km/h). Fitted with the performance package, it does the sprint 0.1 quicker and reaches 155 mph (250 km/h).

As far as the design is concerned, this GTI concept gets a honeycomb radiator grille with a red line in typical GTI style, along with twin chrome exhaust pipes and LED taillights. Compared to the standard Golf VII, the hotter version has been lowered by 15mm and comes with red brake calipers and the usual array of GTI wheels: Denver, Detroit and Glendale, offered in 17- or 18-inch sizes. It can also be fitted with the updated Brooklyn alloys.

The interior of the cabin doesn’t hold any surprises as it has the usual red stitching, a three-spoke flattened steering wheel, the gear knob in golf ball design and the black roof lining. There’s also a special instrument cluster with a color display and chronograph-style instruments. Other features include aluminum pedals and red ambient lightning.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I definitely like it. Its an evolution of the current whilst having most of the technical advancements underneath.

I'm not surprised about the power bump, but I wonder how this will translate to upgrades. I'm sure the companies are already on it considering their routes. From what I've gathered, OEM turbo swaps will not be an issue :)

Looks like the Huffs have taken an angular refinement as well to compliment the angularity of the body. I'm not sure about the red line across the grille INTO the headlights, but its a nice touch. Not feeling the reflectors on the rear. Body lines look great. Still iffy about the lower grille color match.

The side sill spoilers is much like something you would see on the Honda Odyssey. Personally, these have been an issue with fit and finish and windnoise concerns, but I'm sure they kept it reasonable to design. I'll have to see this feature in person.

Quarter glass is a nice angular touch.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
20-30hp + 220lbs. Talk about no brainers now right? We will finally see a sub 3000lb GTI again and a quick one to boot.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
I like the new interior but I'm still not too thrilled with the exterior. I'm sure it will grow on me like the Mk6 did but I don't think I'm going to give up my Mk6 for a Mk7 unless its an R.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I like the new interior but I'm still not too thrilled with the exterior. I'm sure it will grow on me like the Mk6 did but I don't think I'm going to give up my Mk6 for a Mk7 unless its an R.

Yeah. The MK6 took a while to mature on me. I have better initial feelings about this one, but probably more so since the technical details are hundreds of times better.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I like the buttons around the DSG Shifter. Probably wont have many on the NA version

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I like it quite a bit. Still not 100% official, but it's looking good.

I like the color matched lower grill. I always liked that look when people did it on their MK6, especially on CW.

CFG9000

Ready to race!
  • It looks like they put a lot of the Mk6 back into the front end for the GTI. It looks very similar to people who color-match part of the lower grille.
  • It seems like they've ditched the Serrons, which sucks. Those new wheels are not as good, IMO.
  • Is it just me or does the red line on the front end spread across the headlights? Don't like that at all.
  • Those taillights better light up nice, because they look terrible in the pictures.
  • The window switches look like they've been moved farther from the mirror adjustment. I prefer the Mk6 placement.
  • The center stack definitely looks upgraded, but I wonder what it will look like in North America. If all those buttons around the gear lever end up turning into blanks, it's going to be very underwhelming.
  • Said it before, I'll say it again: that gloss finish over the dash is going to look like crap in about 2 days.
  • That steering wheel makes me want to puke.
  • Electronic parking brake. :(

The weight loss and slight power bump are awesome, but visually this is a massive letdown compared to the Mk6.