GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Christmas Fog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
ECS Tuning Center Compartment Tray.

Picked up the new tray once they came out with it for the GTI.
No secret that the tray is made in China as it is on the box in bold print. The tray is solid and good thickness. Is a friction fit as it does not move around and to pull out you push from the inside on each side and lift out. Not hard but the fit is well enough that you can not just pinch a divider and pull out. This is good as the tray will not move around in driving. I purchased one for my wife’s car and any downward pressure on the tray and it would drop down in pocket. The ECS GTI tray is solid enough you could turn in upside down on the ground and stand on it. Comes with rubber inside pads with ECS logo. Don’t want logo? Use rubber pads as a templet and trace out some adhesive felt. Line each pocket with felt to cushion moving parts.

ECS has this part right if interested.

Did you make a hole in it for the 12v socket?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Did you make a hole in it for the 12v socket?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

No. I don’t use this plug much to charge.
There is an opening toward the front of the tray so it clears the latch. A charge cable might fit through this area. The part is thick so one could easily drip a hole large enough for a plug to pass through if one wanted to do this. The coin area might be a good spot to drill. Hope this info helps.
Thanks for question.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
DCC Shocks holding up with the Pro Kit?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
DCC Shocks holding up with the Pro Kit?

Yes.
Coming up on 61,000 miles.
Lowered at 10,0000
Still feel fine and all modes work well.
Sport for high speeds turns.
Normal for when I am driving roads I do not drive on daily. Trips.
Comfort for around town as I know all man hole covers by name.
Recently had some work performed on the mounts and asked my new Mechanic if I should change shocks while it is apart. He said yes if it was a standard shock at 60,000 but the cost of DCC he would run to failure. So we keep going.

Navi

Autocross Champion
That sounds like a good honest mechanic.

My mom just took her car to a dodge dealership and they charged her 189 for injector cleaning and 119 for throttle body cleaning. I can imagine them holding the injector cleaner bottle in the gas tank while eating a burger and then not even removing the throttle body to give it a quick 2 second spray of throttle body cleaner. SMH.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
OZ Center Wheel Caps.

Over the last 3 years my OZ Leggera wheels have seen the clear coat on the center caps start to peal off. I know I can buy adhesive covers but over Christmas I noticed Tirerack sells the center cap for $8 each. So while I cleaned and waxed them for winter storage I changed out the caps. I may also look for a cap sticker for those removed in case I want a change. Maybe some red.

New Caps.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Sweet, thanks for the update. :)

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Wife said she needed something from town.
Reluctantly I went.

Yes! I get to use my new shifter.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Badgeless mod!

I had no plans to mod the air intake system until someone on the Forum posted a used Unitronic air intake duct. This piece is part of a costly system Unitronic sells. So I purchased the part and started down the hole. To go with this part I picked the new ECS Tuning grill air deflector kit in red. I like this kit as it is well engineered and produced. Also comes with templates, which are easy to position so you can cut and drill holes in correct location.
So on a rainy Saturday I removed my grill to start work. So for a couple runs to town I was badgeless and cool.

The templates make it easy to located the place to drill and cut.
I kept them after incase I ever needed to transfer the parts to a new grill.

Even if the hole is not perfect the black grill covers a lot. Parts look very good and fitment it perfect.

Not sure if this was an intended design, but the red deflector (also in black) has a gap at the top so any water that hits the plate in the rain will pass through and not go up through the grill. Some air likely gets through also, but most is pushed up and through.

Will it help a lot?
Likely not, but looks good and was a fun project.
It does provide the coolest air possible to the air duct which feeds the engine, which is a good thing!

The only thing I would change is to add two screws to the center of each grill to hold the middle solid but not a big item.

Last edited:

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
That looks clean man! How long did it take to install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
That looks clean man! How long did it take to install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a Dremel tool with a new plastic cut off wheel.
Total time to cut, clean up the edges and bolt in is easy on two hours.
Could be less depending on how much you clean up the cuts and drilled holes.
I worked on that a while with files and box cutter. It holes drilled correctly then bolting is no issue. I also cleaned it up and rewrapped my red stripes. Use use tinted film so they match the tinted film on head lights. The older tint on grill was showing age.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Are those the SRSTech foglight thingamajigs?