Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
December 2018

Project: upgrade swaybar mounts/bushings
Product: ECS billet rear swaybar mounting kit
Cost: $55 (on sale)
Install time: 45 minutes
Difficulty: 1/5

A few months ago I upgraded the rear swaybar to a 25mm ST bar with Moog endlinks. It's a great upgrade and absolutely worth the money. The only slight issue is that during certain amounts of wheel articulation I get a clanking sound and more recently some squeaks over bumps.

I got under the car to check all the bolts and noticed the "self-lubricating" lining of the ST bushings had worked itself out, likely causing the noise. I had noticed a bushings/mount set from ECS a while ago. It happened to be on sale so I snagged it.

The unit included the mounts, bushings (which come is various sizes chosen at checkout) and new bolts (which are hex instead of triple squares). The mounts seem really solid and I like the Zerk fitting for adding grease.

After about 1,200 miles the car is noise free and feels great!

The ST mounts and bushings after about 800 miles

Bushing comparison (notice the channels for the grease)

New mounts and bushings installed

Last edited:

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
March 2019

Project: front license plate mount
Product: Legit Speed Designs MK7 mount
Cost: $95
Install time: 5 minutes

I swapped out my US Millworks QR plate mount for one from Legit Speed Designs that mounts to the lower grille.

The US Millworks is a great product but I never really loved the position and I've had a couple of friends and family almost catch their legs on the plate (tight driveway access).

I've had a couple of days to reflect and I really like the look and placement. Here are my initial impressions:

+Looks great, a nice alternative to the OEM or tow hook locations
+Well designed and all parts fit without issue
+Installs in under 5 minutes
+Flexible mounting options, plate can move side-to-side
+Does not block airflow or protrude too much
+Well packaged with printed directions
+Plate is mounted with Hex vs Phillips-head screws
+Shipped quickly
----------
-Price is too high, dropping it to by $40 would seem reasonable to me
-While not flimsy, long-term reliability of parts vs a metal mount is a consideration

Last edited:

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
June 2019

Did an oil change this weekend. It was a little early (about 4,500 miles since the last) but I tend to do lots of short trips plus I have a few road trips coming up so it made sense to do it now.

This was my first time using the Schwaben oil extractor and it exceeded my expectations. It ended up get about 5.5 of the 6 liters out and was dead simple to use. If you can snag one on sale I definitely recommend it.

Last edited:

Robajon

After having it for a bit, do you still think the rear sway bar helps your dog not get thrown around in the back? That would make my life much easier haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
After having it for a bit, do you still think the rear sway bar helps your dog not get thrown around in the back? That would make my life much easier haha

Haha, it certainly helps but I'd call it a secondary benefit. Really, I've just had to adjust my driving habits.

I feel like having a dog in the back would be a good teaching method for track instructors to teach smooth transitions. The fastest lap and with the happiest dog wins.

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
April 2020

Spent Saturday doing some spring cleaning/maintenance:

-Oil/filter change: used the extractor again and it was a breeze. Filled with Liqui Moly and an OEM filter.

-Brake fluid flush: it's been three and a half years since I bought the car so it was time to do a flush. Used the Motive power extractor and filled with Pentosin DOT 4 LV fluid.

-Manual gearbox oil change: my 2017 does have a fill hole so the process was straight forward. I wanted to keep things smooth in colder weather so I went with OEM fluid.

-Tire rotation: this one was due and is always a good excuse to check pressures and inspect the wheels/tires.

-Cabin air filter: replaced with another charcoal filter. The old was roughly a year old and looked pretty dirty.

-Cleaned engine bay: things were more dusty than dirty but this is always a satisfying task. I covered key components and used Meguiars All Purpose cleaner and brush to agitate then added some 303 Aerospace Protectant on the plastic bits.

-Wash/clay/wax: after claying, I used Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax. I don't normally use this kind of wax but with more free to time I'll just reapply in a month or so when it wears off. It does make the car pretty damn shiny.

The car just rolled past 20k miles/3.5 years so at this rate I'll probably replace the diff fluid in another 10k or so when I do another brake fluid flush.

All in all, pretty minor stuff was really satisfying to get done!

Last edited:

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
April 2020

I set out to install a set of CTS engine and transmission mounts today and ran into an issue.

I found that the three points where the engine mount bolts to the frame/body don't all align. I could get the two frame bolt holes lined up but then body mount was off or I could get one of the frame bolt holes and the body mount lined but the other frame bolt hole was off.

I triple checked that the mount was seated property and I can't think of a reason why this would be an issue. The car hasn't been in an accident and since the issue is with the alignment of the mount to the frame/body the position of the engine shouldn't be a factor.

I requested a return from ECS so hopefully they'll take these back. The tranny mount could have been fine and I could certainly get a replacement engine mount but I'm inclined to move on to different brand.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should grab the 034 mounts or save up a little longer for the BFI mounts. I know the BFI mounts are well regarded but I am concerned about NVH.

Last edited:

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
May 2020

Project:
Auto dimming mirror install
Product: VW auto dimming Homelink rear view mirror (PN 000-072-548-E)
Cost: $230
Install time: 45 minutes

This is the model for cars without a factory auto dimming mirror or rain sensor such as the S and Sport trims. The kit is completely plug-and-play and comes with the wiring harness that connects to the headlight switch and the plastic trim to conceal the mount/wiring.

Installation took about half an hour and was pretty straightforward. The most time consuming part is running the wiring up the a-pillar. The wires are thin enough that I was able to wedge them between the a pillar and the windshield, out of the way of the airbag but still out of sight. When I re-install my dash cam I'll probably deal with the clips and take of the a-pillar and run all the wires properly.

The mirror looks great and the auto dimming functionality is indispensable for night driving. It's not cheap but if you can find it used or catch a sale it's totally worthwhile.

Last edited:

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
May 2020

I've been having issues with the front tow hook cover staying secured and flush with the bumper (hopefully you weren't expecting something exciting like a new tune or turbo :p)

The cover was removed and reinstalled after a license place mount and somewhere along the way the two tabs that actually lock the cover in place weakened to the point of almost breaking off.

The two tabs are connected part way up which seems to be where the requisite tension to keep them engaged with the bumper comes from. As a quick fix, I added some JB Weld to the broken connection and to the bottom where the tabs meet the base for additional reinforcement. I also added high-density foam in between the two tabs to create more resistance to push those two tabs out so they'll engage with the bumper.

The cover now sits flush and still feels secure after a 400 mile road trip last weekend. A couple of bucks in foam and some JB Weld I had lying around solved a very minor but very annoying issue.

Last edited:

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
May 2020

Project:
skid plate install
Product: Import Evolution Ares MQB skid plate
Cost: $300 (shipped)
Install time: ~90 minutes
Difficulty: 2/5

After a few near-misses with road debris and a growing number of camping adventures I decided to invest in a skid plate.

I prefer this approach to a metal oil pan since I'm still under the power train warranty could easily uninstall this for any warranty work.

The OEM Alltrack option was my first choice but I couldn't find any with shipping that weren't in the $400-$450 range. The ECS Street Shield is an obvious choice and it's often on sale but you really need the reinforcement kit and that pushes the cost closer to $400. Plus, installation seems more difficult than the OEM option. I found a mention of the Evolution Import Ares skid plate in a post here and did a little research. It's a Candaian company that's been making skid plates for various VW/Audi models for a while. The skid plate installs similarly to the OEM models, looked robust, and the price was right so I picked one up.

My thoughts so far
+Seems well made and stout
+Uses all OEM mounting locations
+Straightforward install, just requires access under the car and removal of the OEM skid tray
+Good balance robustness and ease of removal
+Price w/ reasonable shipping ($30 shipped from BC to VA
----------
-Passenger side bracket has clearance issues with one of the A/C lines. I had trouble getting the brace and A/C line not to touch while lining up all the other mounting points.
-The two side wings are less "finished" than the main skid plate with rough edges and tool markings. Seems like an afterthought.
-Cooling ducts seems fine for a M/T car but might not be sufficient for those with a DSG
-No cutouts for the oil drain plug makes oil changes more involved (good reason to use an extractor) however it's fewer bolts than some other models out there.
-I seemed to lose about 1/2" of ground clearance and now scrape on my driveway more easily than before

Couple of install notes
-Installation was straightforward and required only basic hand tools. The install manual wasn't included but is available on their site
-Consider cleaning the treads of the three subframe mounting points. Mine had some surface rust and it makes the bolts difficult to thread in (and could result in cross threading)
-Watch the clearance between the passenger side blue brace and the A/C line. It's very tight and easy to move out of place when bolting everything down. I opened the hood and looked down to check once the skid plate was fully installed. I have an email out to Evolution Import asking for some advice on how get more clearance.
-There are two additional screw mounts (one on each side) that I decided not to install. These link the skid plate to the plastic on each sides but it didn't seem necessary and was just hardware to remove if I needed to do an oil change.

On to the pictures!
The item was well packaged and shipping was very reasonable from Western Canada to the Eastern US

I had never heard of the company but it's great to have choices!

What's in the box

Hardware is smartly chosen, not too many different sized bolts. Should be straight forward to remove if needed.

The braces use existing mounting holes on the frame

Clearance between the passenger side brace and the A/C line is very tight

No clearance issues on the driver side but access is much tighter!

The wings are functional but really rough/unfinished compared to the main skid plate

The final result! I'm happy with balance of price/protection/ease of removal

Overall I'm satisfied with my purchase and feel confident this skid plate can protect the oil pan from road hazards. I'll update with any additional thoughts.

Last edited:

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
June 2020

Project:
rear subframe harmonic damper
Product: damper (P/N: 1K0505563) and nuts (x2 P/N: N90183803)
Cost: $75 (shipped from Latvia)

I stumbled on this great golfdave thread a while back and was intrigued to try this out. To be honest, I didn't see this as a solution to any particular problem I had but it was an OEM part that was affordable, easy to install, and could provide some subtle benefits to noise under certain conditions. I couldn't resist so I added it to an E-Acca order I was already placing.

Installation was about as simple as it gets. I backed the car up onto ramps, slid the damper into place, and bolted it down. Took a total of 5 minutes including getting the ramps out from the shed. The thread linked above has loads of information so check it out to learn more.

I've only driven a few miles since the install so I can't comment on any improvements but I'll report back with my thoughts after more driving.

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
June 2020

Project:
8" EDM display upgrade
Product: 5NA919606 (one of two, non-nav models) and 5G1819728AFDAR (GTI faux carbon trim)
Cost: display was $300 used (shipped from Germany) and the trim was $145 used (shipped from the US)

I waited a while to do this upgrade partly to decide if it was really worth the money and partly because the parts were not that easy to source.

It was hard not to spend the same money on performance oriented mods but this is something I'll see and use every time I drive the car so I ultimately decided it was worthwhile.

I have a 2017 Sport which doesn't come with navigation so I essentially had two choices for screen upgrades (three if you want a non-functioning nav button). There is the 7C0919606 model that most closely mirrors the stock non-nav button layout. These are kinda difficult to find and are more expensive than the others. The option I ended up with is the 5NA919606 model which keeps the mute button but removes the voice button in favor of a setup button.

The trim was purchased used on eBay but is available new from places like E-Acca and BKS-tuning among others. The display was supposedly out of a Tiguan and was purchased from a German seller on eBay.

I was tempted to order the 5G0919606 model which is a cheaper and more common version with nav and traffic buttons. My understanding is that the display would still work and pressing Nav or Traffic would just bring up a "function not available" type message. The screen is just the display and the brains of the unit are in the glove box. If the button pressed doesn't have the corresponding functionality programmed in then you'll just get a warning message. I thought the extra $100 or so dollars was worth it to have a display with fully functioning buttons but that may be a necessary compromise as the non-nav versions get harder to find.

For those wondering about the various options out there, here's a visual summary:

VW 5NA919606 - the slightly cheaper and easier to find non-nav option, setup replaces the voice button

VW 7C0919606 - the most desirable non-nav version with mute and voice buttons

VW 5G0919606 - the only nav option as far as I know, cheaper and more plentiful than the non-nav models

Installation was straightforward and I referenced this VWVortex thread and this video for some extra info. I struggled to get the original trim and vents out as the two wanted to separate but with the trim tool and some force it came out. I suspect the 90 degree weather helped nothing snap or break.

You'll need four radio keys which are available online for pretty cheap. I picked up this set on Amazon. Once the trim was off, you'll need to file down/cut off a nub on the blue fiber optic connector but otherwise it's all plug and play. The new trim was a little tough to get started at the bottom where it connects to the HVAC trim but just be patient and take your time.

All told it took about 30 minutes to install.

Out with the old...

The larger size makes Android Auto easier to use while driving

Maps look great!

Here are my thoughts so far:
+More usable (especially with Android Auto), easier for your finger to find it's target while driving
+Looks more modern (I can only image coming from the MIB1 5.8" screen!)
----------
-You're paying a lot for an extra 1.5" of screen and the trim is pretty pricey
-Non-nav versions are harder to find and can be costly but keep scouring eBay and consider expanding your search to international vendors
-No increase in screen resolution so text/icons will look larger but not sharper. I think this is most pronounced with the VW UI vs AA or CP
-A scan will reveal a fault code but no lights appear on the dash and there are no issues with functionality

Overall, I'm happy with the outcome and don't regret the investment.

Last edited: