GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the Gti under the radar

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Interesting. I'd bet it's because if you buy a GTI, your insurance card says "GTI" on it (as mine does), while the GLI is just a trim level, so the insurer classifies it as a Jetta.

As far as i have seen, college kids and teens add to a good chunk of population who owns a GTI. That might also be a reason for the perceived image of GTIs by insurance companies.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I remember my insurance agent telling me my GTI has a higher rate vs my Golf-R. There is no specific designation for the Golf-R's premium so it falls under the regular Golf premium (was cheaper for me) I was told.

I don't remember the last time I got cited for speeding. Not in the last decade or two. I drive spiritedly at times but never abusively. No crazy street racing like some of you folks do.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
As far as i have seen, college kids and teens add to a good chunk of population who owns a GTI. That might also be a reason for the perceived image of GTIs by insurance companies.

You make a good point. The same friends who jokingly refer to my car as "what a rich kid drives in high school" wouldn't say the same if I'd bought a GLI. In this country, hatchbacks aren't considered "grown-up" cars.

If only VW would make a Sportwagen GTI...

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
You make a good point. The same friends who jokingly refer to my car as "what a rich kid drives in high school" wouldn't say the same if I'd bought a GLI. In this country, hatchbacks aren't considered "grown-up" cars.

If only VW would make a Sportwagen GTI...

That would be perfect, though it'd probably be fwd only so it wouldn't wind up cannibalizing the R

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I remember my insurance agent telling me my GTI has a higher rate vs my Golf-R. There is no specific designation for the Golf-R's premium so it falls under the regular Golf premium (was cheaper for me) I was told.

I don't remember the last time I got cited for speeding. Not in the last decade or two. I drive spiritedly at times but never abusively. No crazy street racing like some of you folks do.
IIRC, back in '09, it was cheaper to insure my C5 Corvette than my MKV GTI. Probably due to the average Corvette owner being much older, not being driven as much and having a lower amount of accidents, etc...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk