GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Footwell Lighting Troubleshooting

mgvdubz

Hi everybody - this is my first post here.

I have a 2016 Golf TSI. I've done a few things to it... VWR Springs, 15 mm spacers up front, 20 mm in the back. APR stage 1 tune, LED interior lighting, HID headlamps, LED tails, window tint. A few other things but I will make a post about that later.

A few pictures... She's a lil dirty!

I have a question for you all that I hope you can help me with in regards to the footwell lighting retrofit for the Golf.

My car did not come equipped with footwell lighting and I like this feature, so I got the following:

Retrofit Spool with LEDs: https://www.bks-tuning.com/retrofit-kit-led-footwell-lighting-front-vw-golf-7.html
Retrofit Coding Dongle: https://www.bks-tuning.com/coding-dongle-footwell-lighting-mqb.html

I am all wired up into the BCM at pin C72, properly grounded, and coded with the Kufatec dongle. Footwell lighting now appears in my car's settings. It wasn't there before. This confirms to me that it is likely installed properly. Without the wiring being in the proper pin and grounded, the coding would have no affect on the settings. I know, because I tried to code BEFORE it was wired and the lighting menu did not change.

Interior:

Problem is: the LEDs do not light up. I tried the deAutokey color changing LEDs and they did not work either. I checked the voltage at the LED plugs and I am getting nothing but resistance - no current or voltage.

My first guess after double checking that nothing was messed up with the pin on the BCM and the ground was that the coding dongle did not work properly.

I am pretty sure that my BCM is up to the task of footwell lighting... otherwise, it wouldn't have pin C72, right???

Anybody?

:confused:

Last edited:

capitan828

Ready to race!
Good luck with this one. Im in the same boat as you. I was never able to get the footwell lights to work on my base model tdi either. I just ended up connecting them to the licence plate lights. If you ever get it working PLEASE let me know how! Good luck!

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Same issue here as well, physically connected the BCM C72 pin to 4 footwell lights. After enabling it on VCDS, I see the menu on the infotainment., but the light would not work. Tried both Incandescent and LED.

Here is my Footwell settings for the Adaptions :
(8)-Interior light; light configuration-Foot Well = Installed
(4)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtfunktion A 30 = Foot well
(1)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lasttyp 30 = ‘18 – 2* 5W’
(6)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Dimmwert AB 30 = 90

Coding – Long coding
Byte 5, Bit 7 = Checked
Byte 17, Bit 3 = Checked.

I think this is something to do with the adaptations/coding that would prevent it from working.

Troubleshooting :
- Changed the Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtfunktion A = Brake and noticed that the footwell lights work on Braking. That confirms that the pin is active.

- With Lichtfunktion A = Footwell, i can see it working on the Output Test on Footwell function.

VCDS Gurus, please shed some lights on this. Let me know if you need a copy of my adaptations / coding for CECM.

THanks,
Ravi.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I have them working on my 15 TSI. I don't know if model year makes a difference.

I ran the lights, installed in pin 72 and used OBDeleven to code. If you check my build thread you'll find some info. Congrats MGVDUBS on the car! Also, I can't see the pictures... not sure why.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
I have them working on my 15 TSI. I don't know if model year makes a difference.

I ran the lights, installed in pin 72 and used OBDeleven to code. If you check my build thread you'll find some info. Congrats MGVDUBS on the car! Also, I can't see the pictures... not sure why.

Thanks for the response on this Basemodel., that exactly what I did on mine. But no success.

Would you mind posting/sending your long coding and Adaptations Channel Map, so i can compare against ?

Thanks,
Ravi.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
By the way, this the BCM Model, I have on the Car -

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels: 5Q0-937-08X-MV1.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 937 087 AA HW: 5Q0 937 087 AA
Component: BCM PQ37BOSCH 028 0162

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Ok just to update, after multiple unsuccessful attempts to enable the footwell lights, it appears that there are additional "Fussraum" settings that may need to be enabled to get it working. However these parameters could not not be enabled via VCDS., not sure if these are locked or the current VCDS do not support.

As a alternative solution to get it work, I am using this settings and works perfect for me. thought, I may share it and will be useful for those like me.

Here is the Adaptation to make it work -

Leuchte30FR LC72-Dimmwert AB 30 = 100
Leuchte30FR LC72-Dimmwert CD 30 = 100
Leuchte30FR LC72-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 30 = 2
Leuchte30FR LC72-Lasttyp 30 = 36 - LED Kleinleistung
Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtansteuerung HD AB 30 = Always
Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtfunktion A 30 = Footwell light
Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtfunktion B 30 = Terminal 58xs dimmer
Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtfunktion C 30 = Interior Lights

The trick lies in Lichtfunction B & C (Last 2 lines). With the Headlight/Parking Lights on, Footwell Lights/Bulb is powered by Terminal 58., as per the dimmer settings.

With Doors open, Footwell Lights is powered by the Interior Lights in Full Brightness.

I think this is close enough and works for me.

THanks,
Ravi.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Just wanted to bump this and see if there are any solutions?

I finished installing my lights, coded them and have the menu showing up on the MIBII.

But they were not working. If I set them to active 100% or to the brake switch it works, so I know the wiring is fine.

I then followed o_a_ravi's modified coding instructions he posted above. But the car menu doesn't actually adjust brightness or anything. Also when I turn the car off with the light switch in auto, all my lights (DRLs and footwell lights) blink a few times.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
^^^ hmm........ so which of the changes did you make and what sort of lamps did you install in the car

Don

murtaza911

Ready to race!
^^^ hmm........ so which of the changes did you make and what sort of lamps did you install in the car

Don
I installed LED lights from Aliexpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM...32788898789.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.v0Ci4Y)
First I did these changes, got it to show up in menu but light didnt work:
Controller 09 - Central Electronics
16 - Security Access - enter 31347
10 - Adaptations

Go to
(8)-Interior light; light configuration-Fussraumbeleuchtung
Change value from ‘not installed’ to ‘installed’

(4)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtfunktion A 30
Change this value from ‘not active’ to ‘Footwell light’ from the dropdown menu

(1)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lasttyp 30
Change this value from ‘not active’ to ‘18 – 2* 5W’

(6)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Dimmwert AB 30
Change this value from ‘0’ to ‘100'

Long coding:
Byte 5 and ensure Bit 7 is ticked
Go to Byte 17 and ensure Bit 3 is ticked

AFTER THAT DIDN'T WORK:

Leuchte30FR LC72-Dimmwert AB 30 = 100
Leuchte30FR LC72-Dimmwert CD 30 = 100
Leuchte30FR LC72-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 30 = 2
Leuchte30FR LC72-Lasttyp 30 = 36 - LED Kleinleistung
Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtansteuerung HD AB 30 = Always
Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtfunktion A 30 = Footwell light
Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtfunktion B 30 = Terminal 58xs dimmer
Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtfunktion C 30 = Interior Lights

With this second set of changes I was able to get the lights to come on with my dash lights. But the car menu doesn't work, and everything flashes when I turn off and park in my garage.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
More info about the flashing lights:

This only seems to be happening when my car is parked in my garage, and the auto lights were active (Chinese auto switch +light sensor).
It flashes multiple times, makes a beeping sound, and the dash says switch off lights each time.

Also, my foot well lights do not turn on when I open the doors (are they supposed to?)

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Just wanted to bump this and see if there are any solutions?

I finished installing my lights, coded them and have the menu showing up on the MIBII.

But they were not working. If I set them to active 100% or to the brake switch it works, so I know the wiring is fine.

I then followed o_a_ravi's modified coding instructions he posted above. But the car menu doesn't actually adjust brightness or anything. Also when I turn the car off with the light switch in auto, all my lights (DRLs and footwell lights) blink a few times.
Hi Murtaza911, the solution provided above is an alternative solution, only because the footwell coding and the menu did not work for me, (like for few others).

With my set of coding, the footwell lights are not controlled from the footwell menu on the MIB., as you see on the last 2 lines of my code FunctionB@72 is interior lights, this is to turn on footwell in full brightness when the door is opened along with interior dome lights.

FunctionC@72 is set to x dimmer terminal, where the footwell lights turn on with head lights on and brightness is controlled by back light brightness knob next to the headlights.

I hope this clarifies your question.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Thanks ravi, I realized that. I'm just trying to see if anyone has found a way to make it work the OEM way.

Your coding seems to do the trick (thanks btw!) but there are a few issues I'm having.
- The lights don't turn on when I open the door
- The lights (inside and out) flash multiple times when I turn off and park my car in my Garage (I think this has to do with the auto switch, but not sure).

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks ravi, I realized that. I'm just trying to see if anyone has found a way to make it work the OEM way.

Your coding seems to do the trick (thanks btw!) but there are a few issues I'm having.
- The lights don't turn on when I open the door
- The lights (inside and out) flash multiple times when I turn off and park my car in my Garage (I think this has to do with the auto switch, but not sure).
Footwell light not working when door open - your
Front dome light switch should be set to auto position, if the dome lights work when the door is opened, the footwell lights will also.

Flickering/Blinking, I have not seen this behaviour in mine other than the bulb out diagnostic, where the Leds flicker for few second., during a cold start. Not sure your auto headlights are doing it. I do not have this setup, and not sure how these works.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk