GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

YES another MIB1 -> MIB2 question

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
I wasn't envious of anything when the 2016MY gti released right after I got my 2015. Okay, the updated infotainment maybe. As a little project, I may go ahead and do the upgrade after 7 years. I've read some threads over the years and understand the overall gist of things.

However, I am doing this install strictly for aesthetics. I don't even want the new glass screen, just the slightly bigger display in the 2016+. I also could care less about CarPlay, I am more than happy with what the interface has provided in the MIB1 for this long (yes, I am a caveman). With that being said, how much easier could this install be for me if I am disregarding upgrading WITH carplay?

Thanks in advance. I am sorry this is another redundant question probably on a topic beat to death. But most want carplay, I dont.

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
The question is not correct. Why? Because almost every (read as every) MIB2 is capable of so called App-connect (i. e. Android Auto and Carplay), if the appropriate SWaP code is installed in the unit.

More important is to know whether you have sat nav or not and if yes, if you would like to still have it or not (non sat-nav units use to be cheaper and are capable of App-connect) and what version of the infotainment do you have at the moment.

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
No nav, don’t need it. I understand all MIB2 of app connect, which needs like a new USB adapter if upgrading from MIB1 (which is what I have). I’m assuming if I don’t want app connect, I can forgo needing to do the USB stuff making my install inherently easier, is what I’m trying to clarify.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you're not going to use app connect you don't need to replace the USB port (although it's quite easy). App connect is a SWAP function, so there are MIB 2 units without it (it was optional in some markets).

For a larger screen you need MIB2. You don't have to enable app connect. Although that is the reason most people do the upgrade. I don't know if the people that do remote coding charge less if you don't get app connect. Undoubtedly an unpopular choice so you would have to ask.

My guess is the price is similar. May as well have it activated. And then when you decide you want to use it you'll just have to replace the USB port 😂.

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
If you're not going to use app connect you don't need to replace the USB port (although it's quite easy). App connect is a SWAP function, so there are MIB 2 units without it (it was optional in some markets).

For a larger screen you need MIB2. You don't have to enable app connect. Although that is the reason most people do the upgrade. I don't know if the people that do remote coding charge less if you don't get app connect. Undoubtedly an unpopular choice so you would have to ask.

My guess is the price is similar. May as well have it activated. And then when you decide you want to use it you'll just have to replace the USB port 😂.

I have carplay and all that in my mercedes. I honestly don't need it in my gti. But thanks for your reply. I found that what I want is a simple swap to an MIB2 brain (still researching differences in part numbers) and a 6.5" screen. No rear view cam, nav, fender audio, or app connect so I'm not even sure if I would need coding for my needs.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You will need coding, even if you were to replace your current MIB I with another MIB I. Granted if you were replacing your unit with a light unit that's something the dealer can handle.

With a new radio you have to get component protection taken care of and FECs activated anyway, even if you choose not to do app connect. What I'm saying is a dealer is unlikely to help you with any of this, so you're going to have to reach out to one of the people that do remote activation.

They probably aren't going to charge you any less if you choose not to do app connect. So you may as well have it activated and then if you or someone in the future ever wants to use it you just have to replace the USB port.

I understand that you just want a larger screen. Although I would personally go for the 8-in matte screen. It's just very unlikely that you are saving any money by not having app connect activated. Fender and backup camera are available on MIB I. So if you don't have them now won't have them on MIB II unless decide to retrofit.

If you don't have navigation and don't plan to install the digital dash or Fender at any point then you can get any MIB II unit. Get whatever is cheapest. They all work with the 6 and 8-in screens

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
You will need coding, even if you were to replace your current MIB I with another MIB I. Granted if you were replacing your unit with a light unit that's something the dealer can handle.

With a new radio you have to get component protection taken care of and FECs activated anyway, even if you choose not to do app connect. What I'm saying is a dealer is unlikely to help you with any of this, so you're going to have to reach out to one of the people that do remote activation.

They probably aren't going to charge you any less if you choose not to do app connect. So you may as well have it activated and then if you or someone in the future ever wants to use it you just have to replace the USB port.

I understand that you just want a larger screen. Although I would personally go for the 8-in matte screen. It's just very unlikely that you are saving any money by not having app connect activated. Fender and backup camera are available on MIB I. So if you don't have them now won't have them on MIB II unless decide to retrofit.

If you don't have navigation and don't plan to install the digital dash or Fender at any point then you can get any MIB II unit. Get whatever is cheapest. They all work with the 6 and 8-in screens
Thanks for info! Yeah the 8 inch looks great but believe it or not would almost look too “nice” for my 15 interior lol (in my opinion) more than happy with the 6.5. Eurozone sells what looks to be pre coded kits. For my needs it comes out to $1500. I can source the parts for far less than that (like $400-500). I have no idea how much it would be to spend the time and money to find someone to do the coding. I’m doing the physical install myself. So not sure if $1500 is reasonable or not.

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
Well, I had an experience that USB port from MIB1 worked only as a charger after replacing the unit for MIB2. So, if you want to still use the features of using USB as a memory reader, I think you have to replace also USB.