GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Yellow Scale In Coolant

Toddster900

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GTD
Evening All

The heating in my 65 plate GTD has recently stopped working on the right side. It still blows air but only cold air.

I checked all the flaps and they are all operating correctly. I checked the left and right temperature sensors and they appear to be reading accurately. The supply and return onto the matrix are both hot when engine is at temperature and the engine heats up and maintains temperature as expected. I removed the silicone bag in the header tank and it appears to be in a perfect condition although I don't think I am going to replace it. The coolant also looks fine.

As it was the only thing left I flushed out the heater matrix and got quite a lot of light yellow coloured scale coming out. It's a hard scaley substance like yellow limescale.

After the flush the temperature was much better for a brief period but very quickly started to drop again on the right side so I assume the matrix is blocked again.

I plan to drain the system, fill with water, flush with flushing product and then replace the coolant but I would like to know where this substance is coming from before I do.

Any ideas?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I would do the water flush a few times times (maybe the product too) till it comes clear. Depending on temps where you are distilled water alone for a week if freezing is not a danger

Toddster900

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GTD
Thanks for the response.

Im in Scotland and its getting colder. I couldn't leave it over night without antifreeze in but I could take it for a good run with just water in and keep doing so until it flushes clean.

I'm happy with the flushing. I'd just like to know what this yellow scale is and where its coming from.

Anyone seem this before?

Toddster900

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GTD
Today I drained the coolant and flushed with water several times. All coolant removed was clean. I then added a flushing product and took the car for a good drive and then flushed with water several more times before refilling with coolant. I also flushed the heater matrix again and did get a bit more yellow scale but not as much as before.

The heating is now much better but it is still around 10 degrees cooler on the right than on the left.

Could someone else please check the readings they are getting on left and right vent temperatures and let me know what they are?