GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Xenon Headlights

Jones_7r

Passed Driver's Ed
I've rang up Volkswagen parts today mainly to find out whether the GTD/GTI/R headlights (LED DRL + Xenon projectors) could be retrofitted to the Golf GT. However, it comes to a great expense!

I know what the responses I'm going to receive by mentioning this. I'm wanting to get nice crystal white headlights to go with my LED fog lights/cornering lights. I've tried a variety of different halogen bulbs such as phillips, ultra & osram. They are okay, although they give off a horrible blue tint when the car is turned off, and still have a slight blue colour to them when they're on.

I would love to get a 5000k HID conversion kit, which I know people will say it'll blind oncoming drivers. In a way it would, but there's HID conversion kits which are made to work with reflector headlights, to prevent glare to oncoming drivers.

I'm wanting to know whether anyone has actually managed to fit an HID conversion kit to their MK7 Golf? I've heard it's not doable on the MK7 Golf's due to the bulb holder they have?] for the H7 bulbs.

James75

Go Kart Champion
It will cost you around 3k at least to retrofit Xenons. If you're looking at bulbs to replicate Xenons, that does miss what Xenons are about but I understand why you want to upgrade. I have to say I got tired of being blinded by HID bulbs. It's a pet hate of mine, it's dangerous, I hope they are safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
I've rang up Volkswagen parts today mainly to find out whether the GTD/GTI/R headlights (LED DRL + Xenon projectors) could be retrofitted to the Golf GT. However, it comes to a great expense!

I know what the responses I'm going to receive by mentioning this. I'm wanting to get nice crystal white headlights to go with my LED fog lights/cornering lights. I've tried a variety of different halogen bulbs such as phillips, ultra & osram. They are okay, although they give off a horrible blue tint when the car is turned off, and still have a slight blue colour to them when they're on.

I would love to get a 5000k HID conversion kit, which I know people will say it'll blind oncoming drivers. In a way it would, but there's HID conversion kits which are made to work with reflector headlights, to prevent glare to oncoming drivers.

I'm wanting to know whether anyone has actually managed to fit an HID conversion kit to their MK7 Golf? I've heard it's not doable on the MK7 Golf's due to the bulb holder they have?] for the H7 bulbs.

No matter what kit you buy (even if its the one "for reflectors"), you're going to have a suboptimal beam pattern and will likely dazzle other drivers.

If you don't want to go the OEM retrofit route, at least go with some nice replica projectors. Not entirely sure where to get them, but some others have been able to find some pretty convincing replicas. Only functions you lose are adaptive lighting and cornering lights.

amullo

Ready to race!
Try some MTEC 4750K Halogens. They exactly match the LED lights I have on my bike.

Jones_7r

Passed Driver's Ed
It will cost you around 3k at least to retrofit Xenons. If you're looking at bulbs to replicate Xenons, that does miss what Xenons are about but I understand why you want to upgrade. I have to say I got tired of being blinded by HID bulbs. It's a pet hate of mine, it's dangerous, I hope they are safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's the thing, I totally regret not adding the xenon headlights as an extra now. By the time I decided I wanted them and contacted the dealer, it was too late as the car was scheduled for build. Definitely need an upgrade though!

If you don't want to go the OEM retrofit route, at least go with some nice replica projectors. Not entirely sure where to get them, but some others have been able to find some pretty convincing replicas. Only functions you lose are adaptive lighting and cornering lights.
Oh really? Where would I find these replica's? I wouldn't mind taking a look as 3k is a lot for a retrofit. I'm not so bothered about the cornering lights & adaptive lighting. As long as they have the xenon projectors and the LED daytime lights, then I'm not bothered.

Stripey

Ready to race!
As far as I'm aware, if by fitting your own HID kit without all the UK legal requirements (auto levelling, washers etc) the car would fail an MOT. Even before your MOT is due, the illegal lights may invalidate your insurance and warranty. So personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Jones_7r

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh really? Where would I find these replica's? I wouldn't mind taking a look as 3k is a lot for a retrofit. I'm not so bothered about the cornering lights & adaptive lighting. As long as they have the xenon projectors and the LED daytime lights, then I'm not bothered.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5327

That's great but there's one downside to that, they're for LHD cars only at the moment. He doesn't have them available for RHD cars, like mine. This is due to the beam pattern would be different for people in the UK.

Do you know of anyone else that does them for RHD cars?