-2020-2021 for GLI

-under 40k miles unless you have proof the DSG service has been accomplished

Preference:

-White or gray exterior

-DSG if it’s a GLI

-One owner

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Would also consider A4, A6, A5/S5 sportback.

I fly for free, so location isn’t a big deal, but obviously would prefer east coast/

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Don’t get the Passat. It’s a bastardization that was the product of Winterkorn/Dieselgate-era corporate leadership + culture. It feels like a plastic toy, bc it is a plastic toy.

Get the GLI. Best value prop in the list you noted. MK7 MQB Jetta interior space is very close to my parent’s Passat, while performing sooooo much better, and getting similar gas mileage.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Don’t get the Passat. It’s a bastardization that was the product of Winterkorn/Dieselgate-era corporate leadership + culture. It feels like a plastic toy, bc it is a plastic toy.

Get the GLI. Best value prop in the list you noted. MK7 MQB Jetta interior space is very close to my parent’s Passat, while performing sooooo much better, and getting similar gas mileage.

The rear seat room is massive by comparison in the Passat, plus there’s about a 10k price difference between a 2018 Passat and a 2020 GLI.

I’m really torn, at first I was dead set on a S5 Sportback, but I keep reminding myself it’s for my wife who really doesn’t care and not me.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
The rear seat room is massive by comparison in the Passat, plus there’s about a 10k price difference between a 2018 Passat and a 2020 GLI.

I’m really torn, at first I was dead set on a S5 Sportback, but I keep reminding myself it’s for my wife who really doesn’t care and not me.

Lol word. Fair enough

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Agreed. It's not truly German, but it's a lot of car for the money & a decent car at that.
And you can find them used in the mid to low teens no problem at all, for a low mileage & newer car still.

I'd add the "Lighting Package" (LED head & tail lights) as a requirement too, btw.
The R-line looks the part, and is nice, but doesn't have every bell & whistle.

The SE w/Tech was the sweet spot IMO (well for 2017 anyways, for sure).
I've never driven the new(er) 2.0t with the B cycle, but the 1.8T wasn't bad although the VR6 was the better choice.

Last edited:

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
I have a 2017 Passat SE Tech package with the 1.8t my girlfriend and I take the car on a lot of road trips and I absolutely hate the transmission the downshifts are harsh if you drive it semi hard on the backroad and the up shifts are so slow. Other than that the car gets great gas mileage it’s pretty smooth and quiet. But the transmission has made me not enjoy the car as much as I want too.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Agreed. It's not truly German, but it's a lot of car for the money & a decent car at that.
And you can find them used in the mid to low teens no problem at all, for a low mileage & newer car still.

I'd add the "Lighting Package" (LED head & tail lights) as a requirement too, btw.
The R-line looks the part, and is nice, but doesn't have every bell & whistle.

The SE w/Tech was the sweet spot IMO (well for 2017 anyways, for sure).
I've never driven the new(er) 2.0t with the B cycle, but the 1.8T wasn't bad although the VR6 was the better choice.
Yeah I’ve seen a few 18-19 R line for mid teens, I wonder if lighting package was ever a thing on them?

As long as it has CarPlay, reverse camera & heated seats that’s really all the tech we use. The Burb is loaded for the year with the exception on vented seats, which are absolutely awesome in the GLI AB although they’ve held their value so well thanks to Covid car price inflation that used cost about the same as new.

I’m hoping someone here on the forums will offer one up for sale that fits the bill as I’d much rather buy from an enthusiast than a dealership

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Buy my GTI, then you guys can race each other...

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I have a 2017 Passat SE Tech package with the 1.8t my girlfriend and I take the car on a lot of road trips and I absolutely hate the transmission the downshifts are harsh if you drive it semi hard on the backroad and the up shifts are so slow. Other than that the car gets great gas mileage it’s pretty smooth and quiet. But the transmission has made me not enjoy the car as much as I want too.
Correct...the downfall of the car (ultimately) is the 6 speed auto slush box, concerning drivability.
An APR (engine) tune with the 1.8T helps though make up for it. (just throw more power at it, lol)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yeah I’ve seen a few 18-19 R line for mid teens, I wonder if lighting package was ever a thing on them
Yes sir!
(I had a '17 R-line before with the Lighting Package)

It was a $1195 option for 2018::
https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinsp...8_VW_Passat_and_Passat_GT_Order_Guide.pdf.pdf

You can easily tell by looking at it if it has it or not. It'll have a silver strip on top of the headlights/grille. (if it's gloss black, then it just has halogen head lights & tail lights)

The lighting package was standard on the 2019 SE R-line though...as it was just that trim & the Wolfsburg for the only trims for 2019....and the SE R-line was pretty damn loaded!
https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinsp...20/03/MY2019_Retail_Order_Guide_US_passat.pdf