GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WTB: Baun Performance FMIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoominms3

Ready to race!
Thank you for educating me about the correct way of looking at it. However, considering the core can be purchased for $200 via Prime, I believe that paying a $500 premium for piping, as well as additional shipping is beyond what I would want to swallow. I will revisit purchasing the Baun kit if it turns out I cannot use the hoses I have or if I cannot find the ones that will work.
Have you checked a shop fee for welding prices lately? It’s not just the pipe you’re paying for. It’s also the labor. And it’s not half assed welds either. Also factor the four couplers and 8 t bolt clamps, not shitty worm gear clamps. And the stainless pipe itself. But some of us have no issue supporting a fellow owner who fabs custom products for the platform. I would rather see it go to him than to some Chinese knock off eBay company, but that’s just me.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Have you checked a shop fee for welding prices lately? It’s not just the pipe you’re paying for. It’s also the labor. And it’s not half assed welds either. Also factor the four couplers and 8 t bolt clamps, not shitty worm gear clamps. And the stainless pipe itself. But some of us have no issue supporting a fellow owner who fabs custom products for the platform. I would rather see it go to him than to some Chinese knock off eBay company, but that’s just me.

You are by all means free to support whomever you want, I won't stop you. I would rather support myself, first and foremost. If that means paying less instead of paying more, then so be it.

Lol at not supporting Chinese companies. I missed the part when we brought all manufacturing, large and small, back home.

zoominms3

Ready to race!
You are by all means free to support whomever you want, I won't stop you. I would rather support myself, first and foremost. If that means paying less instead of paying more, then so be it.

Lol at not supporting Chinese companies. I missed the part when we brought all manufacturing, large and small, back home.
Spoken like a truly self centered douche bag. 👍🏼

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
How is that being self-centered douche bag? I'm just curious since everyone has their own opinion and some want to pay more or less depending what you're getting.

Apparently I'm supposed to care about people who decided to take up entrepreneurship as a way to make a living. I find it very interesting how businessmen are singled out as the ones that need the general public's support. "Support your local businesses, buy local, etc." I have yet to hear "support your local engineer" or "support your local teacher" or "support your local bank clerk." I do my best to buy either whatever I truly like or whatever has the best cost/return ratio. If I have to choose between supporting my likes and the potential to save money for my family versus supporting local businesses, I'll definitely choose the former. The bud upstairs should have been this active when Walmart and other huge corporations were kicking smaller companies and individuals out of business.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Spoken like a truly self centered douche bag. 👍🏼

You sound like an entitled prick.

I'm a fan of Baun's stuff. I have been waiting for Jake to make an R downpipe ever since I heard his videos of the GTI downpipe about a year ago. Unfortunately, his development has been too slow (Baun is a side gig, afterall), and I bought a downpipe the day before he posted on facebook asking for an R development car. I have nothing against him, in fact, if people ask for downpipe suggestions, I usually mention his.

With that being said, expecting anotero to spend an additional $500 to "support a member" when he already has piping for an FMIC on his car is idiotic, and you trying to blast him for not supporting Jake when Jake has clearly stated what FMIC core he's using is beyond stupid. Jake keeps the secrets he wants to himself, which is why he has certain things covered in his pictures because they are specific parts he's found and provides for the benefit of his customers. But, stay on your high horse and spend an extra $500 for redundant parts.

Also, those shitty worm gear clamps? Oh yeah, manufacturers like AMS recommend them over the t-bolt clamps for forced induction pieces. https://www.amsperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Worm_Gear_Clamp.pdf

:rolleyes:

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Also, those shitty worm gear clamps? Oh yeah, manufacturers like AMS recommend them over the t-bolt clamps for forced induction pieces. https://www.amsperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Worm_Gear_Clamp.pdf

:rolleyes:

The cheap worm gear clamps that AMS cites and uses can actually damage the silicone piping itself. All of the slots for the worm drive as well as the edges are likely not rolled, will dig into the silicone hose.

Since they insist on worm gear clamps as superior, they should be using the proper worm gear clamps for the hose material.
Such as:

https://www.mcmaster.com/hose-clamp...s-with-smooth-bands-for-soft-hose-and-tube-8/
or
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3613

The proper clamps for the material isn't exactly cheap either.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
In that case I can get the Vibrant core, obtain mounting brackets and hoses of the right diameter and have an intercooler for much less.

Edit.
Just checked the Amazon listing and it already comes with mounting brackets and hardware. In that case what are the benefits of paying for the Baun performance IC that's made up pretty much of this core and metal ducts?

The Neuspeed FMIC I run right now is connected via hoses. What makes the Vibrant 12810 so special that it needs metal pipes?

Not that simple. While a person claims it comes with mounting brackets, how are you going to attach the bracket to the car? If you plan on using the existing mounting locations from the Neuspeed FMIC which you had to drill into the radiator support and install nutserts, you need to get a bracket made to use it and have it welded to the Vibrant FMIC, or you'll have to find another suitable location to mount the FMIC to, using the supplied brackets.

If there is a dimensional difference between the 2 FMIC's, ie the Vibrant is shorter, and the Neuspeed couplings don't reach, as well as if the Vibrant code is thicker, as well as the Neuspeed End tanks are a little sweep back for the coupler... chances are the Neuspeed silicone coupling won't work, so you'll need to make it work by sourcing out universal silicone couplers, and probably get some pipes bent.

Paying more upfront means you paid someone to figure out how to install it when you bought it, vs making it work on your car as a one-off job, especially more difficult if you don't have the means and materials to make it work and pay a custom shop to make it work for you... then when you compare the $200 initial cost of the intercooler AND the unknown cost of finding a shop that will custom make the parts to install it, is it still less expensive than say buying it from GTI Jake himself?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Not that simple. While a person claims it comes with mounting brackets, how are you going to attach the bracket to the car? If you plan on using the existing mounting locations from the Neuspeed FMIC which you had to drill into the radiator support and install nutserts, you need to get a bracket made to use it and have it welded to the Vibrant FMIC, or you'll have to find another suitable location to mount the FMIC to, using the supplied brackets.

If there is a dimensional difference between the 2 FMIC's, ie the Vibrant is shorter, and the Neuspeed couplings don't reach, as well as if the Vibrant code is thicker, as well as the Neuspeed End tanks are a little sweep back for the coupler... chances are the Neuspeed silicone coupling won't work, so you'll need to make it work by sourcing out universal silicone couplers, and probably get some pipes bent.

Paying more upfront means you paid someone to figure out how to install it when you bought it, vs making it work on your car as a one-off job, especially more difficult if you don't have the means and materials to make it work and pay a custom shop to make it work for you... then when you compare the $200 initial cost of the intercooler AND the unknown cost of finding a shop that will custom make the parts to install it, is it still less expensive than say buying it from GTI Jake himself?

All of those are valid points. It will greatly depend on whether I have the desire to fully investigate the Vibrant core. I understand that paying a premium is oftentimes a matter of convenience. However, I am not ready to pay a nearly $600 premium at the moment. Will see how it goes.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The difference between just sort of kind of making it work and buying a proven turn key solution is a BIG difference.

I don’t pay retail for the materials including the IC, so don’t be surprised when you email me for a quote on everything but the intercooler and it’s more than my price minus amazon...I’m not going to short myself because someone thinks they can “do it cheaper”. I get that question at least weekly, but if it’s between spending time with my wife and kids or building parts for someone who doesn’t appreciate the quality & craftsmanship I offer then I’ll be enjoying my weekend with my family. Not sitting here pushing anything, keep in mind I turn down more work than I accept.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
The difference between just sort of kind of making it work and buying a proven turn key solution is a BIG difference.

I don’t pay retail for the materials including the IC, so don’t be surprised when you email me for a quote on everything but the intercooler and it’s more than my price minus amazon...I’m not going to short myself because someone thinks they can “do it cheaper”. I get that question at least weekly, but if it’s between spending time with my wife and kids or building parts for someone who doesn’t appreciate the quality & craftsmanship I offer then I’ll be enjoying my weekend with my family. Not sitting here pushing anything, keep in mind I turn down more work than I accept.

You sound like you are the only one capable of making things truly work, while everyone else is left to make things work only kinda sorta. Correct me if I'm getting the wrong impression.

None of this has to do with appreciating or not appreciating your work. This wasn't meant to be personal. It's about looking for alternate solutions that may help strike that perfect input/output balance. At this point your IC is not making the cut for me personally. Once again, this is not about people, but rather about the product and its price.

Status
Not open for further replies.