GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WTB 2017 short block

ILoveButter

Ready to race!
My car currently has 29k on it, so I would obviously like less miles on the engine. I dont want an engine from the northeast that is rusted out from road salt. Leads on an engine are highly encouraged. Thanks

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
My engine got crank walk and.right now I'm unsure if the block and/or crank is messed up

I contacted them when the same thing happened to me and IE said that crank walk usually leads to an un-salvageable block because the channel for the crankshaft (which they reuse OEM) will no longer seat correctly into the thrust bearings/channel.

Best thing to do is buy a new motor. It won't happen again. You don't need a built motor on these cars unless you're trying to put down 500tq in a fwd car.

armedferret

Ready to race!
car-part.com is a boneyard search engine. looks like you'll be looking at $3k-$4500

eta: looks like a yard in Fort Myers FL has one with 28k and change for 2900 or so.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Is this for a GTI or Golf R?

I thought they fixed the issues with crank walk after 2015.

Also it may be worth it to talk to a dealership if the engine is still fully assembled in the car. Shouldn't matter if you're tuned if the issue is physical. A mod friendly dealership should be able to help you out with this. At under 30k miles you're still well within warranty on your car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My car currently has 29k on it, so I would obviously like less miles on the engine. I dont want an engine from the northeast that is rusted out from road salt. Leads on an engine are highly encouraged. Thanks

If you have a 17 with only 29,000 miles aren't you under warranty?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo