GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wow you robust little thing...

jnj2455

Ready to race!
I was in New England this weekend and at points was on the beaches in Newport county in Rhode Island. A baby shark had washed up and all the locals were freaking out about it so me and my friends decided to check it out. The shark washed up on a very rocky area with little sand to stand on so most people were standing in shallow ocean water observing this rotting piece of nature. Everybody was precariously holding their cameras, iPhones, and ipads taking pictures and I was no exception...

My friend was behind me turned the other way when he was talking to some local and pointed at something and in the process hit my hand holding my iPhone as I was trying to snatch a picture of the corpse.

And so I watched in horror as my iPhone 4 tumbled into the the ocean waters of where I was standing. I had a case on it but the phone was fully submerged into salt water. I freaked out and grabbed it back up, turned it off, and quickly tried getting all the water out by shaking it or sucking on with my mouth. Immediately threw it into the a bowl of rice when I got back to my friend's house. But I noticed the phone somehow turned back on and the screen died so I couldn't do anything to turn it off.

As the day went by, I started to admit defeat and was mentally prepping myself to give Apple more money that they don't need. So it was to my great shock and surprise, after about 24 hours in the rice, when I plugged it in and the phone started right up. Granted my screen goes biserk sometimes and the camera can't focus all too well but everything is functioning ok. I can only hope that corrosion doesn't get to it till my contract expires which isn't till next summer.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2011 VW GTI
yeah i had a simialr experience but i did not do the rice trick instad i dismantled my screen due to the fact that i thought it was dead for good but now the itouch works if i plug it into my computer or car. i can synch it and play music. if i put a new screen on it it should work. i got mine wet in the bathtub, listening to music. i should have left it in one piece. lesson learned.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
I suspect your joy will be only temporary. Salt and other minerals are deadly for electronics, corrosion is sure to follow soon.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Yep that ain't gonna last.
And your warranty, if you still have it, is void with water damage.
There will be pink marks at the end of the headphone jack and in the bottom connector that shows water damage. And some inside.
If you try and sync or restore the phone may show a hardware error code.
There are ways to get a replacement but I'll leave it at that
Hopefully though it will be ok. Main thing is you got it started so that's good. More than I could and rice did nothing for it. Was replaced within 5 mins in the apple store

Put it back in the rice for well over a week. Or silica gel packs

jnj2455

Ready to race!
It's that awkward moment where I'm a few months past warranty. And all the indicators have turned pink so there's no lying to Apple that I didn't drop it into the ocean.

Like I said, at this point I was ready to pluck down more money to get a replacement. But I'm gonna ride on this train for as long as I can till my phone becomes useless. Think apple quoted me $150 for an out of warranty replacement.

I predict that the screen is gonna fail first if anything.