GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wow - This Anti-VW Video from Scotty Kilmer Jumped The Shark

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
It's hard to read reviews about anything these days. While you would think it is to just give an honest self review of what you feel about a product, they're just as much an influencer. Some guy hears 1 person review a product and says it sucks, he doesn't hear anyone else talk about it, so it just must suck.

All I can say is keep an open mind about everything. Before I was into VW, I also thought they sucked. I heard a lot of negativity about them coming from my Honda friends. I heard so much negativity that VW was at the back of my mind whenever I thought about looking for another car. It wasn't until I drove a fully loaded 2012 PASSAT rental that it all changed my mind on what I thought about VW.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It's hard to read reviews about anything these days. While you would think it is to just give an honest self review of what you feel about a product, they're just as much an influencer. Some guy hears 1 person review a product and says it sucks, he doesn't hear anyone else talk about it, so it just must suck.

All I can say is keep an open mind about everything. Before I was into VW, I also thought they sucked. I heard a lot of negativity about them coming from my Honda friends. I heard so much negativity that VW was at the back of my mind whenever I thought about looking for another car. It wasn't until I drove a fully loaded 2012 PASSAT rental that it all changed my mind on what I thought about VW.

But did that fully loaded 2012 Passat get past 45k miles?

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
If it was up to him we’d all be driving 20 yr old Corollas with manual windows and 300k miles on the clock...because no one makes reliable car anymore, anything with a turbo is just unreliable, all BMW engines are plastic nowadays, Volvo is owned by Chinese so it’s junk by default, VWs are just the worst... blah blah blah...he is full of shit and half the time has no idea what the hell he is talking about, but there is an audience and he’s banking on it.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Scott's audience is low income people who need to take out a loan for 5000$ to buy a car that will last 10 years without changing the oil. He panders to them and makes them feel good by making them feel superior to the "fools" who buy Porsche, BMW, audi, etc

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

You're exactly right. I read a review of 2 smartphones today and the reviewer said that one phone definitely felt heavier. It was less than 2/10ths of an ounce heavier. Nobody could feel that small of a difference. I just quit reading after that because it wasn't a creditable review.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
The 7A-FE in my 95 Celica was like 115HP. Thing was sweet.
My first car was a baby blue colored 1990 Toyota Celica GT. Not sure the powa it had but I wasn't in it for the power back then. I enjoyed the 2 door, sun roof, flip up head lights, sporty vibe all for the $1,150 bucks that I paid, lol. Once I got some Motegi's on it, that ish was freeeeesh! Or as my co-worker said in 2005 when I bought the car, "Those rims took about 10 years off the car!" lol.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
My first car was a baby blue colored 1990 Toyota Celica GT. Not sure the powa it had but I wasn't in it for the power back then. I enjoyed the 2 door, sun roof, flip up head lights, sporty vibe all for the $1,150 bucks that I paid, lol. Once I got some Motegi's on it, that ish was freeeeesh! Or as my co-worker said in 2005 when I bought the car, "Those rims took about 10 years off the car!" lol.

I've shared this story and pics before, but... I crashed mine, and being 18 years old didn't have money to fix it properly. Got an aftermarket body kit and fenders, since that was cheaper than OEM. Didn't fit right, went on horribly, etc... And of course didn't have money for paint... I drove it like that until I got rid of it...

1617286085112.png

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Yeah I remember that year. Didn't see as many of those around as I did the generation prior in my neck of the woods. I initially wasn't a fan of the headlights but they grew on me.

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
I don't enjoy scotty's videos but if you do watch the video his main point is that VW/Audi are fun to drive (answering his own question) but are hard to work on and keep running as they age, and that's hard to dispute. Everybody knows it and it's why VW/Audi have such low resale. I got a GTI because it was fun to drive, and if I wanted something easier or cheaper to work on I'd have bought something else, probably Japanese. I think the disconnect occurring here is that from Scotty's perspective, longevity and ease/cost of maintenance are the most important things about a car, from his obviously biased perspective as a tech. And yes, if those are the only things that matter to you, don't buy a VW.

As for our cars, the earliest mk7s are still barely out of warranty, so the real test of longevity has yet to take place. I'm bullish about the EA888 itself (if carbon cleaned, which VW ignores due to planned obsolescence), time will tell with all the sensors/electrics/control units.

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I don't enjoy scotty's videos but if you do watch the video his main point is that VW/Audi are fun to drive (answering his own question) but are hard to work on and keep running as they age, and that's hard to dispute. Everybody knows it and it's why VW/Audi have such low resale. I got a GTI because it was fun to drive, and if I wanted something easier or cheaper to work on I'd have bought something else, probably Japanese. I think the disconnect occurring here is that from Scotty's perspective, longevity and ease/cost of maintenance are the most important things about a car, from his obviously biased perspective as a tech. And yes, if those are the only things that matter to you, don't buy a VW.

As for our cars, the earliest mk7s are still barely out of warranty, so the real test of longevity has yet to take place. I'm bullish about the EA888 itself (if carbon cleaned, which VW ignores due to planned obsolescence), time will tell with all the sensors/electrics/control units.
If Scotty spoke like you wrote, he'd have more credibility.
But that isn't the way he explains things.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Car Wizard is the youtube mechanic that I like to watch.