GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would you buy this GTI?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Yeah these aren't porsches. If you care about the paint thickness on a gti you are delusional. Quality of the repair is important though ;)

happycamper515

Car(s)
RX350
Good catch. They must have repaired or even replaced the front quarter panel on the repair. My biggest concern is still the auction by the original dealer after the leases. I'm sure they could have made a larger profit certifying the car and selling it rather than dumping it at auction. The Hyundai dealer does have a 3-day/100-mile money back guarantee so that is an option as it'd give me 3 days to get the car fully checked out.

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
Good catch. They must have repaired or even replaced the front quarter panel on the repair.
I think they replaced the fender because the panels line up pretty well. Panel must’ve been off a base model or brand new. My concern would be the front apron and if the actual frame has any damage.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
No reason to speculate on the damage. The car could have been hit by a driver on the dealer lot for all we know.

Sounds like supply is extremely limited. Have you talked to this hyundai dealer about a veloster N?

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
low mileage is cool and all, but is there such thing as "too low" on a used car? What if the car never got driven because it was always in the shop?
I bought my certified GTI in june - one owner (sixty-some year old man who turned in the lease - - funny how the two or three GTI's I looked at were all driven by sixty-something year olds, eye roll) 17 SE with 26k miles. From what I gather about how "hot" this car is, a VW dealership that takes a GTI in on a trade will likely re-sell it (certified if possible cause more $). If the car has a bad history or doesn't line up to their standards, they'll offload it to the auctions where some other (most likely) used retailer will pick it up - moral: I don't want to look at a car that has been thru the auction. Now, I'm probably only marginally correct about this, but its what I believe for whatever reason.
Other thing to mull over, why would someone trade a car into an off-brand dealership? no right or wrong answer, just something to think about in the grand scheme of things

happycamper515

Car(s)
RX350
I totally agree on auction cars, there's a reason why they end up there and it's usually not a good one.

But from another point of view if this was your personal vehicle that got into an accident and the insurance company refused to total it and cash you out, most of us would repair it and keep driving it which doesn't necessarily make it an unreliable or unsafe daily driver. At the very least I feel like I need to go and take a look at this car because we have so few manual transmission used VWs that come to market here and it's the color I want with the equipment I want at a fair price for the resale market here.

This is not a must have car for me so maybe I'll wait another week or two to see if another price drop happens which would make it a more attractive purchase.

Danger Will Robinson

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
low mileage is cool and all, but is there such thing as "too low" on a used car? What if the car never got driven because it was always in the shop?
I bought my certified GTI in june - one owner (sixty-some year old man who turned in the lease - - funny how the two or three GTI's I looked at were all driven by sixty-something year olds, eye roll) 17 SE with 26k miles. From what I gather about how "hot" this car is, a VW dealership that takes a GTI in on a trade will likely re-sell it (certified if possible cause more $). If the car has a bad history or doesn't line up to their standards, they'll offload it to the auctions where some other (most likely) used retailer will pick it up - moral: I don't want to look at a car that has been thru the auction. Now, I'm probably only marginally correct about this, but its what I believe for whatever reason.
Other thing to mull over, why would someone trade a car into an off-brand dealership? no right or wrong answer, just something to think about in the grand scheme of things

Easy answer why they would trade it in at an off brand dealership. They wanted a different brand.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
which often means they had such a poor experience they won’t give the manufacturer another chance

Certainly not true in my case or many others. People often switch brands. I traded my Veloster Turbo in for the GTI.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

You have a problem with 60 year olds? I drove a myriad of the highest high-performance cars from the domestic market and Japan up to when I was 50. Then it was GTI's. Now it's R's. Let's see what you drive when you're my age. Probably a minivan. :)

happycamper515

Car(s)
RX350
I'm in my mid-50s so this GTI is my mid life crisis car. Done with minivans, kid old enough to sit in the front seat, this is my car...wife has a SUV. I drove MT just about all my life until I got married. It's been over 15 years since I've driven a MT but if I don't do it now I probably never will again. Wife thinks she needs to be able to drive both cars but I keep telling her she has the SUV and I'll car her an Uber or rent a car if her SUV ever ends up in the shop :oops:

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
You have a problem with 60 year olds? I drove a myriad of the highest high-performance cars from the domestic market and Japan up to when I was 50. Then it was GTI's. Now it's R's. Let's see what you drive when you're my age. Probably a minivan. :)
Not at all, I was trying to point out the BS sales pitch dealerships use by trying to imply that a car is better off because it was driven by “an old person” (not necessarily true)