GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would you buy a buyback GTI or GSW? Stalling / Sunroof leak issues

Car(s)
2008 GTI Tornado Red
I have been looking for a slightly used GTI or Alltrack/GSW and have seen some places with cars VW bought back. Specifically there is a place near me in North Jersey called Deluxe Auto Sales that seems to have many "buyback" VWs at low mileage and good prices. For instance, they have a perfectly optioned, really nice looking '19 GTI SE with only 2,300 miles on it, going for $25k, and in the Ad right at the top before listing the options it says:

Please note, Volkswagen of America Inc reacquired this vehicle due to a customer complaint concerning "Vehicle Stalling".
Volkswagen of America Inc fully resolved this matter under warranty by simply
Updated Software, Completed 24FD Update.
In the interest of customer satisfaction, Volkswagen of America Inc agreed to repurchase the vehicle.
BUY WITH CONFIDENCE AS THE FACTORY WARRANTY IS STILL INTACT!

I have seen some threads a while back about the GTI stalling, perhaps due to an oil weight spec change. I can't tell how serious this was in terms of possible engine damage, other that the engine was stalling (not good) and is supposedly fixed now (is it?). Also, some were bought back for sunroof leaks and are supposedly fixed (I know this seems to be hit or miss).

Thoughts in general? Seems like could be a good deal on a very lightly used car.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
The found the fix for that stalling issue. So I wouldn't worry about it in that regard. The issue is this car will likely have a branded title, which makes re-selling it difficult if you ever need to sell. You might also have trouble getting a loan and even insurance on a car like this

gti_up

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
One thing to keep in mind; the resell value will probably take a huge hit. That may not necessarily be a big deal if you tend to keep your cars for a long time, but it's worth considering.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Some sunroofs leak and some don't. It's luck of the draw. If the car still has the bumper to bumper warranty you can certainly take it to your dealership to fix any sunroof problems

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
what they said. I would be confident the engine stalling is fixed. sunroofs can be an issue. As up mentioned resale may be affected, you are worried others will feel the same,

tarheelbob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 VW GTI S
Hmm, I bet there's more to the dealer's story. If it was truly fixed by "simply updated software", why weren't they able to accomplish that for the original owner? OEM companies aren't in the habit of easily buying back vehicles without a long track record of failed repeated attempts to fix, and a wretchedly unhappy customer. "Buyer beware" is flashing in my head.

BTW, a brand new GTI S can be had for $29,000. The extra $4000 over the advertised car would be worth it, in peace of mind alone.

For those reasons, and those mentioned above about title, insurance, and resale, I would stay away. Far away.

- Bob

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, I bet there's more to the dealer's story. If it was truly fixed by "simply updated software", why weren't they able to accomplish that for the original owner? OEM companies aren't in the habit of easily buying back vehicles without a long track record of failed repeated attempts to fix, and a wretchedly unhappy customer. "Buyer beware" is flashing in my head.

BTW, a brand new GTI S can be had for $29,000. The extra $4000 over the advertised car would be worth it, in peace of mind alone.

For those reasons, and those mentioned above about title, insurance, and resale, I would stay away. Far away.

- Bob
I think a bunch of 2019 cars were bought back before the fix was developed

cb1111

- Bob

I think a bunch of 2019 cars were bought back before the fix was developed

the stalling issue is a non-issue. VW bought back a boatload of these before the problem was fixed and there are zero reports of the 24FD service action not fixing the problem.

While resale might be a concern, you also need to take into consideration that the 2019's have the six year 72k warranty.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
If I bought a wagon that had leaks, I'd vinyl wrap the roof and pull the fuse so it would no longer be a concern.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

- Bob

Please don’t spread false information. The 24FD update to the ECU fixed the stalling issue. 100% not a single car that has received the flash has repeated the problem. This is a dead subject.

@TheGermanExperience2

Prior to the 24FD update coming out, VW was buying cars back under lemon protection. If the car has been flashed you can verify it by entering the VIN into VW’s recall page. You can also tell on the test drive if there’s a bogging under 3/4 throttle at about 3500rpm, and/or the current gear identifier in the cluster is not correct. If it hasn’t been flashed the fix is free of charge, just pull into your VW service bay and report the issue(s).

You will have a branded “lemon” or “dealer buyback“ related to a known issue. This may or may not affect the resale from you... it might not if your buyer knows the issues. As said before check your bank and insurance. Lemons are typically not much of an issue. It’s a “rebuild” that will typically cause problems in that arena.

I don’t buy a car for resale, so $4000 savings for a 2500mi old SE with an intact factory warranty under the price of a new S.... I would just make sure it has DCC and Fender, then laugh all way home in my new SE.

For what’s it worth. I was offered $20,500 for my 19 Rabbit 6mt with 6400mi at trade in a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R

- Bob
For this issue it could have been likely the dealer was attempting to repair it and sending the customer back in the car requiring repeat visits. This is compounded by there was a possibility of an update not being available soon enough. If VW knew about the issue and knew a fix was far off and bought the customer out of the vehicle just to remedy the situation.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
If you want that GTI that was bought back for stalling, buy it. It still has a 6/72K factory B2B warranty and they solved the stalling issue so that won’t be a problem for you. So you get a good price on a super low mileage used GTI with a great warranty. I say do it man.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

- Bob

It took them a while to figure it out, about a year. In that timeframe most lemon laws state 3 attempts for the same problem in under a year. It was a common enough issue that you would experience it again pretty soon after taking delivery of the car from the dealer. The stalling buybacks are a little treasure

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
@TheGermanExperience2 the red one you are looking at has the experience package. Snap that gem up (if you like red)

Car(s)
2008 GTI Tornado Red
thanks all. Yes it is the Red one and I noticed the experience package which is a huge plus. I can't stop drooling over it, Red is my color. Hope I can work something out!