GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Work 6PM to 6AM, any night shifters?

Aggression

Hey all,

I tried resurrecting a 10 year old thread based off of it popping up in a Google search when asking this same question, but it was locked---so I’ll re-ask.

I currently work 6PM to 6AM, on two days, off two days----and I can’t stand my off days.

I keep the sleep schedule (IE I fall asleep and wake up the same as my on days so I can keep my sleep somewhat efficient.

I’m currently on my Capstone Thesis for my Masters, and though it does take up time, my off days feel like I’m just existing. I gym it for about 1.5 hours on my off days, do some home work/reading, and then I am bored out of my skull.

Nothing is open, the streets are quiet, and I cannot switch to days for the foreseeable future.

Anyone in here work a similar schedule that could add on some pointers? I can only watch so much YouTube/Netflix before I go crazy! :mad0259:

I’m just outside the SF Bay area if that helps for location reasons.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I used to work 9pm to 8am.

On my off days i had Tuesday and Wednesday. (i got off at 8am Tuesday). I would usually stay awake until the mid afternoon on Tuesdays and go to like Moes or something with a friend for lunch(them)/dinner(me) at like 11am.
Then i would usually fall asleep by 1-3pmish and i would sleep until like midnight or so and then i would go out to my local bar/hookah spot.. luckily the hookah spot would stay open until at least 4am sometimes 5am.

I would go to bed around that time when i got home and wake up in the early afternoon on Wednesday and thats when i would go to some thing outdoorsy like kayak or mtn biking. I tried to always go somewhere that 2nd day off and do something. wether it be a theme park, scuba diving, the springs... something in a usual time manner to hangout with actual people lol

Then i would stay up and go out or something that night until i could play video games, netflix whatever to go to bed around the early to mid morning on Thursday to be back on the regular night sleeping schedule

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I work 11:30pm-7:30am, and have for the past 14 years now.

I like it because I don't have to deal with as many people as the day or afternoon shifts, but it screws with your life a little. And having kids now, only made it that much more complicated.
I'm a night owl on my days off

jon570

Ready to race!
I worked at Lowes years ago as an overnight stocker. 9PM-630AM. Worked sunday night thru thursday night. Usually friday i would stay up after getting off work do whatever i planned for the day then fall asleep around midnight. Try to sleep in as late as possible usually 9 ish saturday morning. Then stay up all day till 1 or 2 am. sleep in sunday till 9 or 10. then stay up all day and night until the next morning after my shift.

I also worked at a call center as a supervisor from 10pm-630am, and sometimes 8pm-430am. That was rough. Staring at a computer, monitoring calls, trying to stay awake. But i also had a girlfriend then who had a son who i spent as much time with as possible. Id usually only sleep from 730am till about 1 or 2 (thats when she got off work) then maybe nap for an hour before work.

Overnight for sure messes with your life. Its a hard thing to become accustomed to

joeyfrost

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK6 Golf R
I work from 930-8am off weds thurs fri right now until we have another shift bid. I work for united airlines as an aircraft maintenance tech out of newark international. Not fun but the people i work with make up for it. Definitely not easy. The hardest thing is losing time with family in order to sleep and your eating habits and quality of food suck unless you cook to take food every day.

i've been on midnights for 5years now and im 25.

As far as tips, I would say the first thing is get off of midnights. Lol other than that its maintaining a healthy lifestyle with lots of exercise and good eating habits. When i get home on my "friday" which is weds morning i try to stay up all day to sleep at night with my girl so i can wake up on a day schedule for my remaining two days off. Its kinda tough though because when I go back to work on my "monday" which is saturday night i dont have any sleep.

Mk6 Golf R | APR Stage 2+

Last edited:

BlueE30

Ready to race!
I do similar to you... 7am-7pm then 7pm-7am two days, two nights then 4 days off, sometimes an overtime shift on days off too. Have been doing that for 6 years and I'm 32.

Sleep pattern for me which works the best I find is get to bed by 10-1030pm for day shifts... swing day, get up early, good gym session, errands then nap from like 2pm-515pm get up and out of the house for 6pm.

Coming off my last night shift I sleep from 730am - 1pm. Get up and have a day with the wife and try to get back to a normal sleep pattern... She works shift work too so understands it, we have the same 4 on 4 off though which helps a ton... she's a cop, I'm a cop dispatcher so our hours differ a bit but days are the same.

What kind of work are you in that you do those shifts?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I do similar to you... 7am-7pm then 7pm-7am two days, two nights then 4 days off, sometimes an overtime shift on days off too. Have been doing that for 6 years and I'm 32.

Sleep pattern for me which works the best I find is get to bed by 10-1030pm for day shifts... swing day, get up early, good gym session, errands then nap from like 2pm-515pm get up and out of the house for 6pm.

Coming off my last night shift I sleep from 730am - 1pm. Get up and have a day with the wife and try to get back to a normal sleep pattern... She works shift work too so understands it, we have the same 4 on 4 off though which helps a ton... she's a cop, I'm a cop dispatcher so our hours differ a bit but days are the same.

What kind of work are you in that you do those shifts?
thats good that you guys have the same off days.

My buddy would work 2nd shift for a maintenance company (11am to 11pm) and his wife(a cop) would usually work nights from 7pm to 7am. And their off days didnt mesh it cause a strain on the relationship and among other things ultimately led to their divorce

joeyfrost

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK6 Golf R
I posted here before but i work 930-8am doing aircraft mx out of ewr. Recently had enough seniority to finally get a slice of the weekend!! Thurs fri sat off!! Woohoo!!!

lukesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
gti
I posted here before but i work 930-8am doing aircraft mx out of ewr. Recently had enough seniority to finally get a slice of the weekend!! Thurs fri sat off!! Woohoo!!!

Props to you brother. No-one really knows how cold the ramp gets in the winter unless they work there.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
I’ve been doing the same job for 8 years now. I just got bumped back to nights yet again. 9pm - 5:30am 6-7 days a week. All overtime is mandatory. [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgarcia1925

Go Kart Champion
Hey all,

I tried resurrecting a 10 year old thread based off of it popping up in a Google search when asking this same question, but it was locked---so I’ll re-ask.

I currently work 6PM to 6AM, on two days, off two days----and I can’t stand my off days.

I keep the sleep schedule (IE I fall asleep and wake up the same as my on days so I can keep my sleep somewhat efficient.

I’m currently on my Capstone Thesis for my Masters, and though it does take up time, my off days feel like I’m just existing. I gym it for about 1.5 hours on my off days, do some home work/reading, and then I am bored out of my skull.

Nothing is open, the streets are quiet, and I cannot switch to days for the foreseeable future.

Anyone in here work a similar schedule that could add on some pointers? I can only watch so much YouTube/Netflix before I go crazy! :mad0259:

I’m just outside the SF Bay area if that helps for location reasons.

Old thread is old but i used to work this shift. 6pm to 6am on a rotating 2-2-3 schedule.this was the worst. I felt like a zombie on my days off. I hope you are off this schedule now!

Last edited:

Aggression

Old thread is old but i used to work this shift. 6pm to 6am on a rotating 2-2-3 schedule.this was the worst. I felt like a zombie on my days off. I hope you are off this schedule now!

No longer doing that job. It was making me angry just thinking about going in, to the point where I was having aggressive tendencies.