GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wonky handling after lowering springs

Ljavi

Car(s)
2021 Volkswagen GTI
Hey guys,
I recently lowered my 2021 GTI last month on Eibach sport line springs. I got an alignment and after a week or so my car started to drive weird (loose steering feel even in Sport mode and vibration while driving. It feels like the car is floating)

I got all the wheels checked in case one was bent and nothing (crappy roads and alot of pot holes in the area). I checked the suspension and all the components I disconnected to installed the springs and everything looks good besides the passenger side inner cv axle. It had alittle grease and grim build up in the surrounding area (Im not sure if that would cause any of the symptoms im having )

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated because im stumped!

6BAA5B7C-2BFA-4AED-8A2C-D6E50686E779.jpeg

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Bad Alignment, something loose, riding the bump stops, That ride height looks pretty low to me but could be the angle.

Axle going bad could also account for some of it.

Floaty / weird steering could just be a bad pairing of those springs with the stock dampers.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
You have the alignment print out?

I’ve run both pro-kit and sportlines on personal cars - sportlines and really low and soft and don’t work well with oem struts as it’s easily unsettled on bad roads. But the vibrations should’nt be related to that unless the struts suddenly broke.

Last edited:

Ljavi

Car(s)
2021 Volkswagen GTI
You have the alignment print out?

I’ve run both pro-kit and sportlines on personal cars - sportlines and really low and soft and don’t work well with oem struts as it’s easily unsettled on bad roads. But the vibrations should’nt be related to that unless the struts suddenly broke.
I don’t have the print out with me.

I notice it the most on bad roads or dips (even the smallest crack in the road feels rough). I do notice the car is super bouncy when I hit a dip or driving on a bridge.
I wouldn’t think the struts are broken since I just got the car 3 months ago new.

Im contemplating putting the stock springs back on unfortunately and see if that fixes it.

Ljavi

Car(s)
2021 Volkswagen GTI
Bad Alignment, something loose, riding the bump stops, That ride height looks pretty low to me but could be the angle.

Axle going bad could also account for some of it.

Floaty / weird steering could just be a bad pairing of those springs with the stock dampers.
Sorry, what do you mean by riding the bump stops?
The car does seem pretty low for a “1.7 in drop”
07A4F142-F3EC-428E-B809-09CC9E5FE836.jpeg

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Sorry, what do you mean by riding the bump stops?
The car does seem pretty low for a “1.7 in drop” View attachment 228292

There are fairly hard rubber stops Im sure you noticed when changing everything over. Those prevent the shock from bottoming out to far which could lead to premature failure (it's still possible even with the bumpstops), if your car is lowered too much and its essentially riding on those, it can make for a very unpleasant ride.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to inspect the shock pistons for any leakage.

Ljavi

Car(s)
2021 Volkswagen GTI
There are fairly hard rubber stops Im sure you noticed when changing everything over. Those prevent the shock from bottoming out to far which could lead to premature failure (it's still possible even with the bumpstops), if your car is lowered too much and its essentially riding on those, it can make for a very unpleasant ride.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to inspect the shock pistons for any leakage.
Ahh gotcha,
The springs came with smaller bump stops which I installed. Do you think installing the factory ones back on might help?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Loose steering feel and excessive vibration sounds like something didn't get torqued properly. Are you talking only in turns or even when going straight?

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Ahh gotcha,
The springs came with smaller bump stops which I installed. Do you think installing the factory ones back on might help?
I imagine the factory ones would be too tall and would cause you to be riding on the stops.

Its quite possible those springs are just too short for the stock dampers.

Ljavi

Car(s)
2021 Volkswagen GTI
Loose steering feel and excessive vibration sounds like something didn't get torqued properly. Are you talking only in turns or even when going straight?
Pretty much 24/7.
When I first got the car the steering was super tight, now I feel the car floating. Having to make minor adjustments to keep the car straight. The best explanation I can give is the car feels like it’s in eco mode when it’s in sport mode.
Very possible something wasn’t torqued properly, after 4+ hours on the ground I was ready to be done with the install.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
My VWR lowering springs are working fine with my stock DCC shocks/struts. I did trim the stock bump stops a proportional amount to the expected lowering in order to maintain the same suspension travel before contacting the bump stops though. You should also look into performing a DCC recalibration if you haven't already.

Ljavi

Car(s)
2021 Volkswagen GTI
My VWR lowering springs are working fine with my stock DCC shocks/struts. I did trim the stock bump stops a proportional amount to the expected lowering in order to maintain the same suspension travel before contacting the bump stops though. You should also look into performing a DCC recalibration if you haven't already.
I don’t believe my car has DCC from what ive read (2021 SE model)