GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Won’t start Help please!

TVbuster

Passed Driver's Ed
I need some help. i had to take apart my interior and I disconnected the Push Start button connector and my front seats amongst other things because I was replacing my carpet. I put the car back together but it won’t start! The push button is doing nothing. But the floor lights ARE on and so is the head unit. I can’t jump start the car, I tried but it didn’t work. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and I tapped the wires together to do whatever for the immobilizer. Battery is getting 12.34 v on multimeter.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Might need a new Push Start button. If you had to press the button a couple time in order to get it to start, you need a new one. I have a 2016 and this is my 2nd button.

TVbuster

Passed Driver's Ed
Might need a new Push Start button. If you had to press the button a couple time in order to get it to start, you need a new one. I have a 2016 and this is my 2nd button.
Interesting. All I did was disconnect the connector from the push start button. I never had a problem with the button before.

did your dash light up? I can’t roll my windows up because I can’t even turn on Accessory. The battery seems ok but I’ve never replaced it. And i didn’t disconnect the battery while working yesterday for like 3-4 hours and had the doors open most of the time. But it’s weird the jump start didn’t work

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
It would have been better to disconnect the battery ground before messing with anything electrical.
Do you think it may be the immobilizer?

TVbuster

Passed Driver's Ed
It would have been better to disconnect the battery ground before messing with anything electrical.
Do you think it may be the immobilizer?
I know I’m kicking myself for that. But I’m not sure how to diagnose the immobilzer. I tried the recommended troubleshooting where I disconnected both battery cables, tapped them together, let it sit with the battery disconnected for 15 minutes and then tried to start the car again.
Is there anything else I should try?

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Maybe dumb but have you tried the thing where you hold the key fob against the spot on the side of the steering column? There’s something in the manual about that I thought.

Last edited:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
That is bizaar. I would look at all the interlock switches. If DSG, that car is in park switch and brake switch. Not sure were the start relay is. Might be time to pull out the schematics for the start circuit.

GolfRfrontend

Go Kart Newbie
I was right!! It’s was his fault. That’s what the dealer calls a oops mistake. Happened to me on 2015 q7 sunroof switch was same connector as sunshade switch, but luckily dealer have scan tool to active switches from scan tool and also verify wiring without visual checking. No harm no foul.