GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Woe is the DSG 7 speed

Rob_G

This is your first time with the car in cold weather?

No, it's not the first time in cold weather driving. All of these issues present themselves in the summer as well. My cold weather driving is from late winter and early spring when the car was new and not exhibiting these quirks like it is now. The transmission was really very smooth when I first got the car. Now, not so much.

On a side note, I have already had both front control arm bushings replaced under warranty. That fixed the creaking front suspension.

Rob

Rob_G

What mode are you driving it in? I don't have any of these issues if I have it in S and Race mode all the time. I find in Non S it is a little jerky.

I wish there was a sport mode that had the higher rpm gear changes of race mode, but still (eventually) shifted into a higher numbered gear when cruising speed was reached.

Rob

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Here you go. It's definitely a different software profile. My '19 does not exhibit any of these problems.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wowzers, everything is newer. Newer hardware number, higher software number, much higher software version.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Yeah, these definitely seem to be dq381 quirks. Seems encouraging that the 2019s seem to have much newer software and none of these issues. APRs tune doesn't help any of these things. Totally worth it either way, but not on this stuff :)

dr1980

Passed Driver's Ed
I wish there was a sport mode that had the higher rpm gear changes of race mode, but still (eventually) shifted into a higher numbered gear when cruising speed was reached.

My thoughts exactly, I usually end up dropping it back into D after accelerating in S.

WhyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
2019R here. And I came from a 2018 GTI. In sport mode I notice some jerky downshifts, and did as well in the GTI. In just drive, not near as noticeable or even bothersome to me. I personally love the DSG. I’ve had manual cars in the past too that were a blast. But I’m pretty damn impressed with DSG. They take a little to get used to but I think still give you the interaction you would want with a manual, not completely obviously! But for me with a bad back and knee, I truly appreciate how this car operates. Maybe like others have suggested, tuning or update is in order?

Last edited:

kch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R DSG; 15 BRZ s.b

Rob

Mine does that eventually. I don't think it'll shift to 7, but it definitely upshifts after a little bit of cruising.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Not sure if they have a 7 speed DSG tune out yet, but I really like the Unitronic TCU tune on my GTI. It really smoothed everything out and there's no more confusion.

JWTS

Ready to race!
Mine does that eventually. I don't think it'll shift to 7, but it definitely upshifts after a little bit of cruising.

My '19 shifts into 7th at between 72 and 75mph depending on throttle input.

The shift point in "D" seem be between 1,800 and 2,800 depending on gear and throttle position, in normal driving (throttle less than ~60%). At full throttle it's nearly a redline shift, even in "D".

Sport mode is between 2,800 and 3,500 in normal driving. If I'm on the highway and I want 7th earlier, I just pull it into "D".

For me, this is pretty much ideal in both cases, and better than my tuned 6 speed.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
My '19 shifts into 7th at between 72 and 75mph depending on throttle input.

The shift point in "D" seem be between 1,800 and 2,800 depending on gear and throttle position, in normal driving (throttle less than ~60%). At full throttle it's nearly a redline shift, even in "D".

Sport mode is between 2,800 and 3,500 in normal driving. If I'm on the highway and I want 7th earlier, I just pull it into "D".

For me, this is pretty much ideal in both cases, and better than my tuned 6 speed.
Weird. Mine shifts into 7 at about 42mph, or earlier if I engage cruise. It's infuriating, and the main reason I drive strictly in M.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
My 2019 R exhibits none of these problems. When I test drove a used 2018 R, the programming on the transmission definitely seemed different and there was weirdness going on.

I wonder if there's a software update that the dealer can flash? The hard parts seem the same, but I don't recall seeing many complaints on the '19. Mine is way better than my TCU-tuned 6 speed DSG, in pretty much every regard.

Yeah my stock 2019 DSG7 GTI drives way better than my 2015 DSG6 w/ Unitronic TCU. Must be a 2018 model year thing. Bummer :\

Mike Jesse

Passed Driver's Ed
My 19 R has none of the faults listed in this thread.

I find that on a cold start up mine will hang the first 1-2 shift of the day.

If I let it sit and idle until the RPM drops to under 1K RPM it is just fine.

It's even better since the APR TCU tune.

JWTS

Ready to race!
Yeah my stock 2019 DSG7 GTI drives way better than my 2015 DSG6 w/ Unitronic TCU. Must be a 2018 model year thing. Bummer :\

well, the real bummer is that there's no reason VW can't have dealers flash the newer programming to the older 7 speed boxes--but chances of that happening are pretty much zero...

I was doing some mixed/highway driving over the last couple of days, so I was paying attention to the shift points into 7th in "D". Depending on throttle input, it will shift into 7th somewhere between 48 and 60 mph, which is between ~1,800 and 2,200 in 6th. That's with throttle input between up to about 40-50%. More throttle and the shift point is higher.

It will also kick down to 6th with a bit more aggressive throttle (not hitting the kick-down point) if I'm going less than 65 mph. So yeah, I'd say the shift programming seems much improved in the newer versions.

FYI, I think my car had a June '19 build date.