GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Woe is the DSG 7 speed

Rob_G

I have never been more annoyed with the transmission in a car than with the DSG on my 2018 R. It's weird because there are a few times it will behave normally and it's really great then, but more often lately it's not behaving and it's annoying in its quirkiness.

1 - Constant jerking into first from a stop
2 - Random poor clutch engagement on first gear acceleration (it doesn't engage fully for 1 or 2 seconds) and then it jerks into gear.
3 - Almost constant 'rev-rev' shifting/clutch weirdness from 2 to 3.

I thought it would get better as the vehicle broke in more, but actually I think it's worse now at 10,000kms. I know there are A LOT of threads around the internet on the subject of DSG performance and some saying a 'tune' will help. I'm not looking to void my warranty at this time.

So I have decided to escalate to the dealer my concerns about the transmission and will see how it goes. I don't think the transmission operation falls into an acceptable category, but of course VW and the dealership will have their own opinion. I can probably live with it for a few years until warranty runs out, but I wouldn't keep the car past that point.

Sorry, I hope people don't lament another DSG thread, but I wanted to share my experience so far.

Rob

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I find when it's cold it acts jerky. Otherwise it's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Bdurrell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Z06
This....I did this...behaves like a proper transmission now.

Attachments

• 20191022_110349.jpg
    20191022_110349.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 929

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Good luck! That 2-3 (and 4-3) BS has annoyed the heck out of me since day one. There's a fix for 2-3 available ROW, but there apparently haven't been enough complaints for VW to get it certified here.

I have the APR tune, and it helps, but it doesn't really fix any of those issues (except, to some extent, the take off from a stop stuff). I'm convinced there's a problem with the clutch timing in all the odd numbered gears, and that it's just not very noticeable in 5/7 because of vehicle speed.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
These problems aren't strictly cold weather problems. All 3 happen year round. The first is definitely more pronounced in the cold, I'll give you that, but the other two always happen. I'm on my second winter with my '18 R and the DSG behaviors are definitely the most frustrating aspects of this car.

Coming from driving manuals forever, driving the DSG strictly in manual mode, and being accustomed to driving dead smack in the sweet spots of the torque curve I see this irritating nonsense every time i drive the car.

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
I can compare the R DSG (which I drive and love) it to the WRX CVT (which I drove for just around 3 years) and I will:

- It's rev hang is much less of an issue
- It shifts much more fluidly
- The R is a bunch faster and is almost as fast as the STI.

JWTS

Ready to race!
My 2019 R exhibits none of these problems. When I test drove a used 2018 R, the programming on the transmission definitely seemed different and there was weirdness going on.

I wonder if there's a software update that the dealer can flash? The hard parts seem the same, but I don't recall seeing many complaints on the '19. Mine is way better than my TCU-tuned 6 speed DSG, in pretty much every regard.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I wonder if there's a software update that the dealer can flash? The hard parts seem the same, but I don't recall seeing many complaints on the '19. Mine is way better than my TCU-tuned 6 speed DSG, in pretty much every regard.

There's a software update that fixes the rough 4->3 that the dealer can't flash in the US. What is the software version on your 2019? I haven't heard of anything else so far, and I've looked a lot.

Mine looks like this:

--Matt

JWTS

Ready to race!
grrrrr

well, I'll try to find out for you--but this is where my own griping starts..

My vagcom cable is not compatible w/my '19, so I picked up an OBD11. I hate it more than you hate your DSG...

I'll plug it in tomorrow, and half an hour later I'll be able to report back (unless it won't connect the control module). Assuming I'm able to get it to work, I'll post up the software info on it.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
grrrrr

well, I'll try to find out for you--but this is where my own griping starts..

My vagcom cable is not compatible w/my '19, so I picked up an OBD11. I hate it more than you hate your DSG...

I'll plug it in tomorrow, and half an hour later I'll be able to report back (unless it won't connect the control module). Assuming I'm able to get it to work, I'll post up the software info on it.
[emoji106] thanks

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
What mode are you driving it in? I don't have any of these issues if I have it in S and Race mode all the time. I find in Non S it is a little jerky.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
What mode are you driving it in? I don't have any of these issues if I have it in S and Race mode all the time. I find in Non S it is a little jerky.
M, only ever M. They happen in the race (higher idle, you get this if you jump to M from S or switch the drivetrain mode to race while in M) and non-race variants.

JWTS

Ready to race!
Here you go. It's definitely a different software profile. My '19 does not exhibit any of these problems.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk