GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wix Vs Mann Air Filter

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
I have a Wix filter in the car for 1900 miles fitted from the factory, but thought I would pick up a Mann filter for simple comparison. Not all filters are created equal so I thought it would be interesting to look at what VW supply from the factory and what the best on the market can offer.

*Wix on top

Wix has 109 pleats, Mann has 113 pleats

The Wix will have some dust retention as you can see, but is still weighs less than the Mann.

OE Wix Filter

Mann Filter. Mann filter has 4 more layers of filtration media, also heavier due to the added layers and possible the foam. It also appears thinner when held up to the light (but I appreciate the Wix isn't completely new)

Attachments

• FILTER.jpg
    FILTER.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 2,116
  • P1010249.JPG
    P1010249.JPG
    618.4 KB · Views: 1,772
  • P1010256.JPG
    P1010256.JPG
    413.1 KB · Views: 4,073
  • P1010253.JPG
    P1010253.JPG
    665.8 KB · Views: 1,700
  • P1010257.JPG
    P1010257.JPG
    375.8 KB · Views: 1,600
  • P1010258.JPG
    P1010258.JPG
    421.5 KB · Views: 1,598
  • P1010259.JPG
    P1010259.JPG
    418.8 KB · Views: 1,585
  • P1010260.JPG
    P1010260.JPG
    368.8 KB · Views: 1,639
Last edited:

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Usually a Mann is cheaper than orig. VW (which the "WIX" is)
as you don't buy Mann filters at the stealer . . . .

THANKS for the comparison !! Interesting to see in that case
the Orig. VW part seems to be just second.

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
Not sure, I didn't buy the VW filter, it came with the car. But I guess somethings are manufactured to a price point (like wiper blades) perhaps.

I'm sure I read the Mann one filters down to 3 microns at 99.9% efficiency but is very good for air flow too, (which seems almost too good to believe) I think someone did a comparison on a VW before, (mk6)?? and it flowed the best, but had more pleats.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Construction is so similar, makes one wonder if both made in same plant. In USA lawn mowers are made in basically two plants even though sold as many different brands. Sounds like based on material thickness that the Mann is slightly better. Enough for price if different? If same price buy Mann. If same price then Wixs is making more money on filter. Good job on checking weight. Redo with both new to verify. If you can.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Read, mate. ;)

The Mann is made in Germany, while Wix-filtron is made in Poland.
Also the number of pleats is different, and if they were made in
the same plant, that doesn't make sense, but they would most
probably be completely the same.

So no, they are not made in the same plant. ;)

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
FYI

I contacted ITG filters for information about the ITG panel filter. I understand they may make the foam panel filter for VW racing (which has the same Tri foam technology and I think this is an ITG trademark)

Anyway I received this reply.

Thanks for your email.

The part number you require is a WB-427 and you will be able to get this from Merlin Motorsport UK. It is a relatively new part so won’t appear on any listing yet.

All of our filters are produced to OEM specs, but you would need to check with VW if this would affect any warranty in place with the vehicle.

In normal European road use, the filter will achieve an efficiency well in excess of 99% and remove a very high proportion of particles down to 3 microns and a good proportion below that. In very dusty conditions the efficiency may drop off a little, possibly to around 97%, with the particle size drifting up towards 5 microns.

Best regards,

Not sure I think this is specific enough to help anyone making a decision on a panel filter for the car and whether long term it has sufficient filtration.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Read, mate. ;)

The Mann is made in Germany, while Wix-filtron is made in Poland.
Also the number of pleats is different, and if they were made in
the same plant, that doesn't make sense, but they would most
probably be completely the same.

So no, they are not made in the same plant. ;)

Understand now not same plant but number of pleats would not indicate this.
Different specs even in same plant could be made.
One spec for Walmart, one spec for BMW.
Just a machine adjustment likely.