GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WIX oil Filter WL10024

dah90

Ready to race!
Does anybody on here have any experience with the WIX WL10024 oil filter for our GTIs? How does it compare to the VW OEM filter?

Many Mk7 OE filters actually ARE made by WIX.

You may want to view some OE filter pics at ECS.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
There is literally zero not to just use VW OE / MANN filters.

Buy a bunch off amazon, or get an oil service kit with all of them.

Inferior quality filters are a false economy at best.

dah90

Ready to race!
The reason I am looking into this is because the local oreilly auto is offering a good deal on castrol with a wix filter. This would save me some money and I would be able to have 1 receipt per oil change to provide proof of maintenance in the event of a warranty claim. This would be much more organized and clear than writing 6 different mileages on one receipt that has multiple filters on it.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
You're saving a maximum of $3 per filter by going for inferior quality Wix rather than OE.

They generally do not let you buy the more expensive synthetic Castrol, but rather the cheap ones. Check the fine print.

There's really nothing more cost effective than 6L of oil, drain plug, and OE filter delivered right to your door, rather than fussing about receipts from junky auto stores.

dah90

Ready to race!
I should have specified castrol edge full synthetic. Also, I feel like you don't really know anything about WIX. They are one of the best filter manufacturers in the world. I only asked about this particular filter to see how it stacked up to the oem in the opinions of people that HAVE USED the wix filter.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
I should have specified castrol edge full synthetic. Also, I feel like you don't really know anything about WIX. They are one of the best filter manufacturers in the world. I only asked about this particular filter to see how it stacked up to the oem in the opinions of people that HAVE USED the wix filter.

There are cheap Wix filters, and there are good Wix filters.

Napa Gold are relabeled Wix for instance.

Assuming that a $7 filter of unknown quality is better than the actual manufacturer, proven $11 filter isn't worth the consideration. If it was just a relabeled Mann filter like the STP ones were, it wouldn't be a problem - but since this is clearly a different design it is.

According to O'Reilly, they limit the Castrol deal to oil that costs less than $6.80, and with Castrol 5w-40 costing $8-9/qt I don't think this deal applies to us.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/economy-oil-service-kit/gen3ecoktkt/

Here's a $40 kit delivered to your door with an OE drain plug & filter. You're not going to do better than that.

People's schemes for saving $2-3 a year are mind boggling.

dah90

Ready to race!
I prefer to use the castrol, if for no other reason than I have multiple family members that have VWs that have had nothing but castrol for 200k plus and still going. (Personally prefer Pennzoil Platinum Euro but is expensive and damn near impossible to find) General consensus seems to be that there is no point in risking it on a wix filter since it appears to have a different design. Guess I will just buy the oil from oreilly auto on special with the filter and through the filter in the trash. Then go to the dealership to buy the filter and drain plug. Even throwing a filter away is still cheaper than buying Everything separate. Looked at the oil change kit on shop dap. Probably won't buy that though simply because my local UPS guy tends to destroy every package he touched and I really don't want oil leaking out of the box. Lol

bcgti

Ready to race!
I use the WIX filter and don't think twice about it, especially since the filter is literally just filter media!

We drive a mild sporty version of a budget hatchback which is mass produced in Mexico. Don't over think it .... if it's from a well known manufacture that meets/exceeds OEM then it's good to go! IMO.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
I use the WIX filter and don't think twice about it, especially since the filter is literally just filter media!

We drive a mild sporty version of a budget hatchback which is mass produced in Mexico. Don't over think it .... if it's from a well known manufacture that meets/exceeds OEM then it's good to go! IMO.

I don't think WIX has the OE technical data packages like Mann+Hummel.

That said, if you really need to save those $3 vs OEM, and the idea of a small hole in your inferior quality filter totally ruining your $5999 engine doesn't bother you - go for it.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I use these, branded as NAPA Gold, 7500 interval.

Rather than make anecdotal claims, here is my oil analysis. Note I had Ceratec friction modifier added and I think their comment on viscosity references that.

Edit: After rereading, I realize that came across snarky. I didn't intend that and it wasn't a dig at anyone, I just wanted to provide some hard data. I've always known WIX to make quality filters, and this reenforced that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

bcgti

Ready to race!
Doesn't bother me one bit. In my 35 years of vehicle ownership I've always been good using "inferior oil filters" such as FRAM.

I'll make sure to report back if my engine grenades!

dah90

Ready to race!
Thanks everybody for the replies! I really appreciate it! I have until towards the end of the month to decide as that is when the oreilly auto deal ends. Hope everybody gets a long life out of thei cars. Never imagined that this question was going to attract so many strong opinions. Almost as bad as oil brand questions! Thanks again!