GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wireless Charging

K-Span

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MT DBP
Apparently the latest over-the-air update that they pushed enabled wireless Android Auto, which is pretty sweet. Problem is that it drains the phone battery like crazy because it's constant WiFi data flowing to and from the phone. What sort of wireless charging solutions have y'all had success with? There are a bunch of options out there, but few seem to work well in our little interiors.

Vent chargers are kinda tacky, and I don't want wires hanging down. Charging pads on the dashboard won't work very well because our dashboard is so curved that it won't stay in place (see my baby camera display falling off the dashboard constantly, for example), plus I don't want wires hanging down off the dash. Putting a charging pad on the center console arm rest might work depending on the size, but I actually use that armrest a lot, and I'm always changing its length depending on what I'm doing, what's in the cupholders, etc.

The sleekest solution seems to be replacing the tray with one that has wireless charging, but a cursory search shows that at least some of them are a bit of a hassle to install because the wiring harnesses were made for the electronic e-brake instead of the manual one, and that required some wire splicing or something to get it working correctly.

What have you guys done or seen to implement wireless charging in your cars? Anyone here with experience installing new trays? Any recommendations?

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
Well, maybe you could continue the discussion in this thread https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/oem-wireless-charger.378650/post-7758928

The above link will redirect you to my post where I mentioned my experience with the OEM charger. I also told that I wouldn't do such retrofit again, but...I did it agian, with a different charger (Inbay wireless charger with 10W charging pad), but the point remains the same. At least in case of charging of iPhones, which do allow to wirelessly charge up to 7.5W - this is not enough to charge and to use the GPS navigation, music player etc. at the same time. At least, the phone will keep the battery level.

I would say that if you have bigger phone than iPhone 12/13/14(Pro) the most suitable option is OEM charger due to the limited space for the phone on Inbay charger. However, OEM charger also has its limits.

guccigolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY17 TSI Comfortline
Apparently the latest over-the-air update that they pushed enabled wireless Android Auto, which is pretty sweet. Problem is that it drains the phone battery like crazy because it's constant WiFi data flowing to and from the phone. What sort of wireless charging solutions have y'all had success with? There are a bunch of options out there, but few seem to work well in our little interiors.

Vent chargers are kinda tacky, and I don't want wires hanging down. Charging pads on the dashboard won't work very well because our dashboard is so curved that it won't stay in place (see my baby camera display falling off the dashboard constantly, for example), plus I don't want wires hanging down off the dash. Putting a charging pad on the center console arm rest might work depending on the size, but I actually use that armrest a lot, and I'm always changing its length depending on what I'm doing, what's in the cupholders, etc.

The sleekest solution seems to be replacing the tray with one that has wireless charging, but a cursory search shows that at least some of them are a bit of a hassle to install because the wiring harnesses were made for the electronic e-brake instead of the manual one, and that required some wire splicing or something to get it working correctly.

What have you guys done or seen to implement wireless charging in your cars? Anyone here with experience installing new trays? Any recommendations
Wait, they enabled Wireless android auto? Was this through updating the MIB2 or MIB2.5 software? My latest version is about 2017, but if I have to update to 2022 to get wireless aa then it's worth a shot.

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
I assume you have MK8 with MIB3, since MK7 came with MIB2 and no OTAU not wireless AA/CP.

I'm personally using wired-to-wireless adapter in my MK7, so I was concerned about battery life as well. This is my solution:
  1. I'm using CarlinKit 4.0 (tested/reviewed here) which supports GPS pass-though (this feature is not exclusive to this device but not all adapters have it). Basically it provides GPS position from the vehicle to the phone, so the internal GPS receive in my phone can stay off. This saves a lot of battery when compared to my setup in Audi Q3 (vehicle not equipped with GPS at all, so my phone needs to use it's own GPS receiver). Also GPS accuracy is better, since car can estimate it's position based on the steering wheel position and vehicle speed when the GPS signal is low.
  2. I'm using MagClap Traveller Pro mount/charger in both cars (tested/reviewed here). This helps both with battery charge and additionally with voice assistant features that require FaceID authentication.

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Nope. Mk 7.5. System information page shows hardware H56 and software 0813.
Please, long-press menu and take a pic of SW Train for me, if that’s not too much to ask. I would love to investigate this. Thanks!

K-Span

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MT DBP
Please, long-press menu and take a pic of SW Train for me, if that’s not too much to ask. I would love to investigate this. Thanks!
Is this what you're looking for?

PXL_20221120_232404040.jpg
PXL_20221120_232415762.jpg
PXL_20221120_232432633.jpg
PXL_20221120_232438918.jpg

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
2021? 2021 nar is mib3 on se and autobahn. Surprised they just added wireless android auto. It came with wireless CarPlay.