GOLFMKV

Wireless Carplay option

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
I've looked into this. Price is way too steep though, really. I also read that it affects battery life. Let us know how it is!

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
To each their own, but IMO you're beyond a point of diminishing returns to shell out $160 to remove a single wire that doesn't have to be any more than 6-8" long from your cabin. It also sounds like it takes ~15 seconds to boot up, and initially uses bluetooth (which can sometimes be finicky especially if you have simultaneous connections to multiple devices like, say, a watch), so it is not an instantaneous connection either.

In the days before CarPlay, I had a similar device that was made from a custom firmware hacked TPLink travel router when I had a BMW. It was USB Powered and you could AirPlay to it and it was outputting audio via USB DAC that you placed in-line between it and the AUX jack.

I hope this works out well for you and whoever else here buys it, but just not something I'll be tossing $160 at.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Agree it’s a bit steep.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
ive used this works great but i sold it, i like my ddock, super simple to slide the phone right in without looking and up comes carplay, if i didnt already have the ddock for 3 years this would have been my option

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
ive used this works great but i sold it, i like my ddock, super simple to slide the phone right in without looking and up comes carplay, if i didnt already have the ddock for 3 years this would have been my option

+1

I was embarrassed at spending 85 dollars for a piece of plastic when I bought mine but now I think it’s the best money I’ve ever spent on a car mod. So simple and clutter free which aggravates my OCD.

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
What’s the ddock?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
This is neat but its too expensive, and in reality I like that my phone gets charged too while it connected. For this to work for me I would also have to retrofit wireless charging. And now due to that my phone is still outside my pocket where I could just connect it to a cable. So I will pass and save the money.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
For anyone else who can’t wait for a review...use code ‘express’ for free expedited shipping

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Somewhere, I've still got a tape deck adapter for my Creative Labs Nomad and Discman.
Just need to retrofit a cassette player instead of the cd player ?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

This would be sweet! I could break out my "license to ill" tape again!

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion

In the most amusing piece of industrial design I've ever seen, what I thought was a CD slot in the dash turned out to be no more than a vestigial style cue.

Right in the center, there's a single SD card slot... In the middle of a fake CD slot. :ROFLMAO:

I don't know if it integrates with the "S" trim infotainment system, but I'd sure like to have that unit in the glove box.