GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wireless Carplay option

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Amazon has them also but unless you have a URL, all the cheaper ones work only with an Android head unit and not factory OEM infotainment systems.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Slightly less expensive but yes that’s the one.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Those are for Android Auto head units.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I have a shipping number but they are being held in port until flights start up again which is supposed to happen on Monday.

In the interim, I’ve customized a wireless charger that fits into the cubby and allows for lid closing. UNfortunately I could not get that charger to power up/work off either the USB port (which means no use of the USB pass through on the dongle when it comes) or via a 12v cig lighter with 2.4a ports. I do have it working now with a higher powered 12v charger. So wireless charging is done. I removed the cubby and drilled out a couple holes in back for the USB-A to fit through and then fed the cable underneath the right side console panel to the 12v port. Very stealth looking.

For those who know, are there a wide variation of power needs for wireless chargers? The one I bought has fast charging and I assume will throttle between fast and slow based on the phone (iPhone Xr)? Ideally would still like to power both the CarPlay2Air device and the charger off the OEM USB port.

Thanks.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
DHL to deliver mine this Friday.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Arrived today. 2 days from Hong Kong!

Works perfectly. I already updated it OTA. Really happy. Is it worth $100+ to not plug the phone in each time? Debatable for many but I now toss my phone on its wireless pad and 10 seconds later CarPlay fires up.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Here’s my setup. Wireless charging pad is from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZZX37F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_LpzsEbVA89XA8

In order to have it fit I cut off about an inch from the non-corded side. Frankly I thought this would not work but it had no ill effect. I coated the cut end with liquid electrical tape. Charger works perfectly. I’d much prefer a charger without an embedded cord but it’s the only one I found that was made of a rubberized material where the phone would be stable and wouldn’t move around.

I removed the cubby and drilled two 1/4 inch holes in the rear for the USB cable to pass through. I ran the cable underneath the right side console panel and up to the 12v charger. I could not get the wireless charger to function unless I used a high powered 12v charger-a 2.4 charger was not sufficient. This also meant trying to use the car’s USB port to charge was out of the question.

Here’s what it looks like.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
:cool:?