GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wireless Android Auto Indiegogo project

slickshifter

Car(s)
2018 GTI 6sp

Thanks for the info. I'm sending my unit to @Acadia18 for research purposes. At minimum we can confirm whether my dongle works. After that I can start isolating in my car 🤦‍♂️.

hey Cuzoe! any news on this?

I have the AA dongle as well and I've had similar issues as you since I got it. I have a 2018 GTI S.
my device will sometimes connect automatically and other times i have to hit 'android auto' when it pops up on the screen before it makes the full wireless connection. after all that happens the unit works fine for about 10 minutes or so then just disconnects. but with mine it never reconnects by itself and i usually end up having to unplug the dongle and then mess around with my phone. obviously this is dangerous while driving so i end up just hardwiring my phone and bypassing the dongle for safety reasons and just to save time.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
hey Cuzoe! any news on this?

I have the AA dongle as well and I've had similar issues as you since I got it. I have a 2018 GTI S.
my device will sometimes connect automatically and other times i have to hit 'android auto' when it pops up on the screen before it makes the full wireless connection. after all that happens the unit works fine for about 10 minutes or so then just disconnects. but with mine it never reconnects by itself and i usually end up having to unplug the dongle and then mess around with my phone. obviously this is dangerous while driving so i end up just hardwiring my phone and bypassing the dongle for safety reasons and just to save time.
Kind of, haha. @Acadia18 has my Gen2 unit and it has been working fine. Unfortunately for me that suggests the problem is with my car (cable, port, MIB, who knows)

I have his Gen1 unit but have actually not driven the car since I got it (whenever that was, late November/early December) so have yet to try it. Might get the car out on the road in about 2 weeks and give it a try.

In the meantime, I backed the Carsifi dongle and might order the Motorola MA1 dongle to try as well (supposedly you can pre-order on Amazon but it won't let me add to my cart).

slickshifter

Car(s)
2018 GTI 6sp
Kind of, haha. @Acadia18 has my Gen2 unit and it has been working fine. Unfortunately for me that suggests the problem is with my car (cable, port, MIB, who knows)

I have his Gen1 unit but have actually not driven the car since I got it (whenever that was, late November/early December) so have yet to try it. Might get the car out on the road in about 2 weeks and give it a try.

In the meantime, I backed the Carsifi dongle and might order the Motorola MA1 dongle to try as well (supposedly you can pre-order on Amazon but it won't let me add to my cart).

thanks for the update! yeah, let me know after you try the Gen1 unit.

I don't think its the port on our cars and I'm using the usb cable that AA-Wireless supplied plus I've tested with two alternate cables to no avail.

its so frustrating b/c my phone doesn't fit in the cubbie so its usually in the cupholder which i hate.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Can confirm, @Cuzoe's Gen 2 unit has been working fine daily without issue for months.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I have a Gen 2 unit that works flawlessly. First with a Galaxy Note 9, and now with a Samsung S21.

Nimche

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI SE DSG
Do you guys also experience music disconnecting from the headunit and start playing via phone speaker in the middle of the ride?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
No

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry for the bump. I picked one of these up from a local GTI owner who bought two. Sold it to me for 40.00. How do I distinguish between Gen 1 or Gen 2? Works great and starts playback immediately. One added bonus is that there's a setting that allows you to disable the 6 touch limit. Loving it so far.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Sorry for the bump. I picked one of these up from a local GTI owner who bought two. Sold it to me for 40.00. How do I distinguish between Gen 1 or Gen 2? Works great and starts playback immediately. One added bonus is that there's a setting that allows you to disable the 6 touch limit. Loving it so far.
It might be in the companion app somewhere. But it's also not important. The only reason Gen 2 exists is a supply chain issue. The Gen 2 units have a different chip but zero difference otherwise.

I couldn't find a way to direct link an update. But on the Indiegogo page check the updates starting August/September 2021 for more info
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/updates/

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
Hi all, I have one and it works like a charm. I just want to know if anyone is using any different solution to make it fixed in the cubby, or hiding it in some way. I'm thinking of using a double face tape to fix it but let me know if you have any better idea :)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Hi all, I have one and it works like a charm. I just want to know if anyone is using any different solution to make it fixed in the cubby, or hiding it in some way. I'm thinking of using a double face tape to fix it but let me know if you have any better idea :)

Just tuck it in the cubby and close the cubby door?

I contemplated undoing the USB part in the cubby, attaching an extension, and running it to the center console cubby to have it there instead. Never got around to it though.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion

I bought a left angle USB cable and dremel'd a small opening in the USB port and ran the cable under the cubby and placed it there.

Lena77

Car(s)
Golf
To anyone interested a CarPlay retrofit, I spent a lot of time researching the different models, and I would highly recommend the carlinkit version. There is very little information about the differences between the models, so I wanted to share my experiences.

The carlinkit version offers wireless CarPlay and a self contained control unit. It is sold on several different platforms, but I purchased mine from https://carlinkitbox.com/products/carlinkit-4-0-wireless-carplay-android-auto. The seller was very responsive, responding within 24hrs to all of my questions. It’s important to know that for most models you need the full kit, not the cheaper usb dongle.

One of the the biggest things to look for when purchasing one of these units is a seller that understands the differences between the infotainment systems in each model car. While the control box is the same (you just change the dip switches) the cables vary depending on whether you have a non nav control knob, nav control joystick, or later model touch pad. If you include these specifications when you order, it avoids many of the installation problems many people have with these kits.

The biggest advantage of this kit over the beat sonic is that it contains all of the functions in one control unit including wireless CarPlay, rather than two boxes connected via HDMI. Instead of using analog rca inputs, the box accepts a direct usb or wireless connection, and avoids a lot of bulk and cable management issues. The kit functions like a stock CarPlay system and retains all of the built in features like the backup camera, microphone, and steering wheel controls, and even on the smaller “non-nav” screen, the resolution looks great, not pixelated or stretched.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but hopefully this helps golfmk7owners looking for a CarPlay retrofit.