GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wipers move when I switch off engine

amcneill

This has started happening after nearly 6 months of ownership - I switch off the engine and hear a noise from the front of the car that turns out to be the wipers moving a tiny amount? They were already in the parked position, It's hot and sunny and I wasn't using them at all and the control stalk was set to off( I have auto wipers). Any ideas?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

It's not a bug, it's a feature. Normal on any current Volkswagen. It's even
been the same on any Mk.V/VI already.
The slight movement ensures an alternating "stance" of the rubber blade,
so that it doesn't accustom to one of the two possible. That way a longer
lifespan of your wiper blades is achieved.

I bet it's described in the manual. ;)

amcneill

Ehm okay...I've not noticed it before now and I'm normally observant about these things.next you'll be telling me volkswagen supply bedtime reading material with every car that explains these things:-o

Ehm okay...I've not noticed it before now and I'm normally observant about these things.next you'll be telling me volkswagen supply bedtime reading material with every car that explains these things:-o

The movement also helps stop the blades sticking to the screen, which they could do, left in the same position and doused in dead flies and tree sap. You probably noticed it now because in hot dry weather the blades do stick a little and make a noise when the system moves them.

focalBlur

Passed Driver's Ed
Per VW:
"Alternating Park Position (APP) function).
Every other time the wipers are switched off, the APP function causes the wiper arms to move upward slightly from the lowest position, causing the wiper blade rubbers to "flip" or tilt in a manner that "alternates" from the previous switch-off event.

APP function serves to increase wiper blade service life by alternating the wiper rubber contact angle at the windshield after use."

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
Those crazy Germans think of everything