GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter wheels/tyres

orcades

Hi DW58, thanks for your information, Hawco Elgin may well be worth a try. Better discuss the stories about wheels and insurance modifications in another thread. Don't want to take this thread off topic.

garmcqui

Passed Driver's Ed
I think if you change the tyres only, it doesn't matter, but if you change the alloy wheels too, it will.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I've been told that as long as the tyres and wheels - note wheels and not alloys, many people use steel wheels with winter tyres - remain the same that there is no modification, but if the wheel size changes then there is.

garmcqui

Passed Driver's Ed
So with my car having 18's as standard, if I go with 16" wheels (even steel ones) and winter tyres, that would be classed as a modification?

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Surely any change to the wheels - whether design, material or size, is a 'modication'????

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
Just won a set of genuine VW winter steel wheels and tyres on ebay. £165.

Gonna cost me another £75 to get them home, but all this talk on here has got me thinking I might just need them.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Forecast here is for snow by the end of the week, glad I've got my winter boots on the Golf.

JCJ

Ready to race!
I shall consider winter tyres next winter (don't get my Mk7 until March). However, I would still rather have been able to have ordered a 4 Motion Golf in UK and I don't mean VR6. Most of Europe can buy 4 wheel drive Golf's - but not UK. Disappointing.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
You're not the only one there, but Volkswagen UK in their infinite wisdom do not think us worthy of 4-motion along with other options.

caravaggio

Passed Driver's Ed
In Spain 4motion is only available on the manual 2.0tdi. I would have liked 4motion on the 140hp with DSG... Because the bump in price to the R is rather substantial :D

The wasp

Ready to race!
Never had them before and managed to do without, I've got the Perth alloys spare so may put winters on them. TBH I think it's just another ploy for the motor industry to get cash from us.

caravaggio

Passed Driver's Ed
Rarely anyone switches tyres in the winter where I live. In case of heavy snow we do with the snow chains. But if I need to travel in bad weather conditions I'll just take an SUV to be on the safe side.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
No kidding ;)