GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter wheels discussion

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Been poking around trying to locate 19" snow tires but for the cost and hassle it seems I'm probably better off just selling my Cadiz and buying 17" wheels for winter.

Looking for some suggestions for 17" winter wheels. Think I'm going to go with Conti SI winter tires as I really liked the WinterExtremes on my 11 TDI.

e: I'll be using my 19" Petrols for summer wheels.

Last edited:

bradst3r

Ready to race!
Yeah I was trying to decide what to do myself. Just get all seasons for the 19" Cadiz or buy another winter wheel/tire set and keep the Cadiz for summer since it already has summer tires.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Personally not a fan of all seasons myself. Tried that for a couple seasons, but I really prefer the stopping power of a proper winter tire. We get enough snow out here to send the morons that can barely drive in the summer barrelling off the road constantly, so I like to be able to avoid them.

Snoball

Passed Driver's Ed
So I'm not an R owner but am interested in this thread myself. I just moved to the NE and this is the first time I will need winter tires. I have a MK7 GTI with stock wheels and all seasons. I don't mind spending money on a winter wheel/tire set and would love some opinions on what to get? I have seen the preference on tires and the two in this thread is exactly what someone recommended. I would like to spend around 700-800 max on a wheel/tire combo. Thanks in advance as usual!

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
So I'm not an R owner but am interested in this thread myself. I just moved to the NE and this is the first time I will need winter tires. I have a MK7 GTI with stock wheels and all seasons. I don't mind spending money on a winter wheel/tire set and would love some opinions on what to get? I have seen the preference on tires and the two in this thread is exactly what someone recommended. I would like to spend around 700-800 max on a wheel/tire combo. Thanks in advance as usual!
Where in the Northeast are you now living? It makes a huge difference with winter tires.

JBJNR

Passed Driver's Ed
Nokian WR G3 get very high marks, but prob above your price range. Tires in NE are one area I would not skimp . . . especially if we have another winter like the last one. I live in Boston . . .

Snoball

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm in Boston; Braintree to be exact.. Wife will be taking the rail each day but will need to commute to the station. I work from home but we will not be using our RX8 during the winter months and will rely on the VW. I don't want to skimp on the tires themselves, more the wheels of anything. I can push my budget higher if need be, but would prefer to keep it down. My other thought process is to buy winter tires, but them on the Austins and then when spring/summer rolls around drop 2k on a new set of shoes and park the "now winter set". Opinions are welcome for sure. Also for Boston folks when and where can I track my car? Thanks again!!!

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
Interested. My plan has been summer tires on my new kicks and winter on the stockers for the R.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hey, Boston, and possibly the OP, you'll need dedicated winter tires, with all the snow and ice you get there. I think your best bet is to get something like Blizzaks or similar tire on a steel wheel. I preferred this setup when I lived in the NE. Steelies are cheaper to replace, and many times you can pound out a flat spot on the rim with a mallet if you hit a pothole. Not so with aluminum, they often crack when you hit something or when you pound on it. Stay away from wide tires - they just sit on top of the snow instead of biting down into it. Of oourse, you're not going to be able to go around corners quick when it's dry.

The Goat

Ready to race!
Personally not a fan of all seasons myself. Tried that for a couple seasons, but I really prefer the stopping power of a proper winter tire. We get enough snow out here to send the morons that can barely drive in the summer barrelling off the road constantly, so I like to be able to avoid them.

This! I've never had an all season tire that gave me real confidence on snow and especially ice.

jasonturbo1

Passed Driver's Ed
17" OZ leggenda's for winter wheels ;) Rally credentials lol

Since I already had a set of 18" GTI Austins with winters I didn't want to buy new 17" rubber for leggenda's or 19" rubber for the stockers.. so I picked up a set of 18" superturismo GT in matte graphite for winter.

Which oddly enough.. resemble my summer 19" superturismo GT's in matte grey lol.

IDK how people can run all seasons in the snow/ice, they are shit for slippery surfaces - buy some winter tires if you live somewhere that gets snow!