GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter wheel / Tirerack.com / hub rings

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
So i did a 35 mile drive.

Several wots to 80-90 mph

Cruised 20 of those miles around 60 to 80 mph

Vibration was not present. Will post if it does come back as i wouldn't want to say a product is good when it isn't

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
I guess I should have said that I use a torque stick on an impact gun. I swore it was 80ft-lb stick, but it might be 90. I'm glad you took the time to post the torque spec. Whatever the rating of the stick I've tightened hundreds of wheels with it and never had a problem. Pretty sure they end up closer to 100ft-lbs by using the impact gun.
Torque stick on an impact gun? Do post pics of this set up please

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

glayfan40

Passed Driver's Ed
Resurrecting this old thread as I just came across the same issue with a newly purchased 17” summer wheel/tire set from Tirerack that is supposed to be road force balanced. Was wondering if OP had any additional updates after installing the new hub centric rings.

My wheels are also Motegi Racing wheels, but MR140 instead. Tires are Firestone Indy 500, 225/45R17.

Vibration can be felt above ~50mph, and it becomes really obvious above 70mph. So almost an exact replicate of what the OP was seeing.

Any updates would be appreciated. Just trying to see if I should buy the hub centric rings instead of bringing the car in for re-balancing.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Resurrecting this old thread as I just came across the same issue with a newly purchased 17” summer wheel/tire set from Tirerack that is supposed to be road force balanced. Was wondering if OP had any additional updates after installing the new hub centric rings.

My wheels are also Motegi Racing wheels, but MR140 instead. Tires are Firestone Indy 500, 225/45R17.

Vibration can be felt above ~50mph, and it becomes really obvious above 70mph. So almost an exact replicate of what the OP was seeing.

Any updates would be appreciated. Just trying to see if I should buy the hub centric rings instead of bringing the car in for re-balancing.

I would definitely get the rings. And may need to rebalance also.

Last edited:

wizmk7gti

Passed Driver's Ed
I had issues with the plastic rings. Got Amazon aluminum solved the problem. Also good to torque in 3 stages with tires in the air. Have same wheels and tires in 18 by the way.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Also make sure that you are using the right taper lugs. OEM use a ball seat, Motegi and many other aftermarket wheels use taper seat. Be careful using aftermarket lugs that weren't specifically made for your vehicle or your aftermarket wheels. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

glayfan40

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick update - just tried a new set of rings (polycarbonate, not metal), helped a little (could just be my head) but can still feel the vibrations between 70-80. Scheduled to have the wheels rebalanced tomorrow. Will see how that goes.

pitterchi

Ready to race!
Theres a post somewhere deep here or Vortex showing how the wheel hub is 56.1 closest to the rotor then tapers out to 57.1. Some of these hub rings don't extend far enough and can cause the vibration at higher speeds. When I first got my aftermarket wheels, I did a roadforce balance and went through 3 sets of hub rings (metal and plastic) from Amazon before getting the "right" hub rings. I finally got the ones on Urotuning. These have "wings" and are thick enough to cover the tapered wheel hub. This fixed my aftermarket wheels vibration at higher speeds and the car now feels OEM. Others had success with the ECSTuning ones too.

Like others have said, make sure you have the right bolts for the wheels. Final torquing while the cars on the ground isn't something I thought of before. Will start trying that now.

glayfan40

Passed Driver's Ed
The rings that came with the wheels from Tirerack look like this, which are probably similar to the ones you got from Urotuning.

F590A3DD-BD23-41F7-9BA9-5E14ADFBC432.jpeg

The ones I got from Amazon aren’t as “thick”. Will see how the balancing goes today before I messed with the lug bolts. The VW OEM bolts won’t fit the Motegi wheels so I’d probably have to get another set if the ones that came with the wheels are the culprit

glayfan40

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick update - just tried a new set of rings (polycarbonate, not metal), helped a little (could just be my head) but can still feel the vibrations between 70-80. Scheduled to have the wheels rebalanced tomorrow. Will see how that goes.
Rebalancing at Firestone didn’t fix the issue. Not sure if they even had the Road Force machine to do it properly. Will have one more go at Hogan Tire (Road Force capable) next week to see if it makes any difference.