GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter wheel / Tirerack.com / hub rings

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Im sure this has been discussed at length... Everytime this year. But i wanted to share.

So i bought winter wheels and tires for my 17 GTI S at tire rack. I could of gotten away with all seasons but with an 80 mile daily commute in DC traffic and a couple trips to NH planned this winter felt the purchase was justified.

The hub ring from tire rack seemed to be a good fit. But after a couple hundred miles i discovered i had an intermittent vibration at 60-80 mph. Couldn't really replicate on demand.

So just from previous reading i have a pretty good feeling it was the hub rings. After receiving new hub rings from hubcentric and comparing them to tireracks offering, i feel confident enough to write this post with out even a test drive

Will report back friday after drive to work

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
For anyone looking into aftermarket wheels

72.6mm is the size for the specific wheel i have installed that mates up to the factory hub

57.1mm is the size for the factory hub

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
If the issue was a hubcentric ring then you would always have the vibration at those speeds, it wouldn't be intermittent. Something like that can't be okay sometimes and not okay others. They either fit or they don't, they either vibrate or they don't. I hope I'm wrong though, but my experience says otherwise.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
We will see. The tire rack one were not solid and i could bend them. Hubcentric are solid

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
Idk the flimsy rings Tire Rack sent me with my winter setup has been vibration free for two winters now.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Like I said I really hope it does solve your issue. My tire rack hub rings have been fine for 3 years and about 30k across two cars, but I don't see winter.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
From what I understand the rings are just for locating the wheels. Once you get them bolted and centered the rings don't do anything to hold the wheel in place. Good luck but I wouldn't be counting chickens yet.

taythecoug

From what I understand the rings are just for locating the wheels. Once you get them bolted and centered the rings don't do anything to hold the wheel in place. Good luck but I wouldn't be counting chickens yet.

I think the same. I am running no hub centering rings on my winter wheels. Primarily because they were my S4 winter wheels and the hub ring is different.

No vibrations.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
I will gladly honestly report back on my ride to work friday. If im wrong, im wrong. I will say the lugs broke torque awfully easily(tirerack supplied torqued to ~89ftlb). Ill be double checking that as well after my 80 mile commute friday. Maybe im parinoid, maybe i got something against tirerack, or maybe i was hoping someone would put some money down that i was wrong and make this a bet lol

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
80ft-lbs is all that is needed for the lug bolts. I torque BMW's, MBZ's, VW's and Audi's to that torque all day every day and never had an issue. Torque depends on the size of the lug bolts or nuts.

Edit: When I got my new rims I also installed new front brakes at the same time (on my old car). After getting the car hot I started to hear an awful clacking noise from the front of the car. I figured the lug bolts weren't tight so I got out and re-tightened them. Started to drive and everything was quiet, then all of a sudden "clack clack clack". Turns out the brake pads were manufactured improperly causing there to be too much space between the pad and the carrier.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I guess I should have said that I use a torque stick on an impact gun. I swore it was 80ft-lb stick, but it might be 90. I'm glad you took the time to post the torque spec. Whatever the rating of the stick I've tightened hundreds of wheels with it and never had a problem. Pretty sure they end up closer to 100ft-lbs by using the impact gun.

Last edited: