GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

Amaster85

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone have experience with the goodyear winter command ultras?

Tossing around the idea of getting these because mounted and balanced it's cheaper than just buying the nokians tires and is $200 cheaper than nokians r3 mounted and balanced.

Also interested in COMPARING these to the Viking contacts from conti

I have previously owned the ultra grip ice wrt on another car and loved them so I assume this is an advancement in those?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I can confirm that 215/55/17 will not rub the wheel arches, though they are tall enough to cause a slight speedometer error. They were already mounted on the winter wheels I bought (used), ran them for a season before i decided I would rather have performance winter tires in the correct size, since I spend most of the winter driving on dry roads.

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I'll be giving the Conti Vikingcontact 7's a shot this winter. I had Yokohama BluEarth V905's on deck, but found out they were bang average in everything except dry traction. I'm hearing Western Canada's winter is going to be nasty, so I'm not rolling the dice.

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
IMG_5074.jpg

17" Audi Avus wheels for winters

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
I'll be giving the Conti Vikingcontact 7's a shot this winter. I had Yokohama BluEarth V905's on deck, but found out they were bang average in everything except dry traction. I'm hearing Western Canada's winter is going to be nasty, so I'm not rolling the dice.

It's a good tire, I was one of the first non-sponsored adopters in NA last year, and at the price point + rebates thrown in it was really good.

Have no issues other than you got to look very closely to find where the directional arrows are when mounting.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Grabbed some Cooper Evolution Winter tires (225/45/17) mounted on Borbet Type RE wheels after a surprise snow/ice event here last week. Wish I had them when the snow hit, but I was too slow on placing my order.

Kudos to Tire Rack otherwise though for mounting the tires and shipping everything to me in a couple days! I think I might like the look of these wheels more than the stock ones!

20201024_225918230_iOS (2).jpg

Last edited:

8T_BoCO

Passed Driver's Ed
2019 GSW with factory brakes:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3, 195/65-R15, on steel wheels (w/balance weights on rim lip).
It is unlikely that 15" alloys with wheel weights glued inside the rim would clear the brakes.

Last edited:

cb1111

I'm in the process of buying an Alltrack SEL and will be buying some winter rubber - one little wrinkle is that I need max winter performance as I need to be as mobile as possible in all weather conditions - and that includes driving 50+ miles in crappy weather. On my 2006 GTI, I had Michelin X-Ice that I also had on my R32, but I did get stuck once in the GTI - but a shovel and sand fixed that. I currently have Conti WinterContacts on my Acura and they're OK most of the time, but I wouldn't want to drive in really bad weather long distances.

A couple of years ago I put the cheapest winter tires on my Lexus RX300 for my "really awful weather car" and they were surprisingly good (I think they were Uniroyal TigerPaws or the Goodyear version of the same.

I'm thinking of the same, wrapped around some 16" Rial X10 wheels. Will I hate myself with these on a daily driver - recognizing that I'll be driving within the limits during winter months?

brokeitagain

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI sport
Found some 17 inch Mercedes rims in good shape on FB for cheap. Anyone know if they'll clear the PP brakes on my gti?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201122-083010_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20201122-083010_Firefox.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 122

Philman120

Car(s)
2019 golf R
Hello. I hesitated alot when chosing winter wheels for my 2019 golf R. I have 19 inch summers so I had to downsize to 17 inch wheels. I went with the BBS SR satin gray 17×7.5 35 offset with nokian R3's 225/45 r17. Really happy with them they fit the car really well and have just the right offset. I didnt want to go with cheep RTX wheels or something like that even tho they are winters. Heres some pictures !
20201113_140332.jpg
20201114_122629.jpg
20201114_132233.jpg

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Hello. I hesitated alot when chosing winter wheels for my 2019 golf R. I have 19 inch summers so I had to downsize to 17 inch wheels. I went with the BBS SR satin gray 17×7.5 35 offset with nokian R3's 225/45 r17. Really happy with them they fit the car really well and have just the right offset. I didnt want to go with cheep RTX wheels or something like that even tho they are winters. Heres some pictures !
Looks sharp. The Nokian tires are great! Should handle the Quebec winters with ease. Also, you've left the blue protection film on your center caps ;)