GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

Boondock

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI S
Looking for suggestions, currently have 2 of these Champiro IcePros and 2 worn out Cooper Weathermasters. Looking to replace the Weathermasters and I have the Champiros up front for the first time and good lord they are LOUD. Looking for something a bit quieter over everything else.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Looking for suggestions, currently have 2 of these Champiro IcePros and 2 worn out Cooper Weathermasters. Looking to replace the Weathermasters and I have the Champiros up front for the first time and good lord they are LOUD. Looking for something a bit quieter over everything else.
I got the nexen wintersport 2 off ebay for under 400, not loud, handle fine, not tested in snow yet, fine in rain

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Had stockers on 225/45R17 Hakka 7's last two winters, switched to same size Hakka R2's on RPF1's.

8T_BoCO

Passed Driver's Ed
Replaced a B8 Audi Avant with a 2019 Alltrack SE and thankfully the old winter set works great:
Nokian Hakka R3s in 225/50R17 has the same diameter, sidewall, circumference and revs/mile as the factory 205/55R17, just 9.9% wider.
The wheels are Horch (Audi replicas from onlywheels) 17 x 7.5 5x112, ET45, Hub 66.6mm requiring hub-centric ring to adapt to 57.1mm.
The 3mm difference in offset puts the rim ~2mm further out and ~1mm closer to the suspension/frame than the factory rim.

P_20200126-AT-side-sm_170958.jpg P_20200126-AT-right_sm-171042.jpg

CKIVSEPA

Passed Driver's Ed
Does this work on a 17 GTI Autobahn?
I found a winter tire/wheel combo that I can swing, but I have no idea how to know if something other than oem fits.

If the lug pattern is 5x112, and the tires are 215/55/17 .... will this fit on a 17 GTI Autobahn (PP)?

Thank you for any assistance. I appreciate those with more knowledge than I.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=114176865

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Use the website: https://www.willtheyfit.com/, enter your current set up and then the winter set up you want to use. Also, you will need to be sure that the 17" will fit the over the front brakes, 340mm rotor and caliper. I believe that other with PP set up have used 17" wheels.

CKIVSEPA

Passed Driver's Ed
Use the website: https://www.willtheyfit.com/, enter your current set up and then the winter set up you want to use. Also, you will need to be sure that the 17" will fit the over the front brakes, 340mm rotor and caliper. I believe that other with PP set up have used 17" wheels.

how do I know if it fits over the rotor/caliper? Is there a measurement to check, or do I have to put one on to find that out?

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
If the wheel/tire combination you are looking at it local to you, then see if the seller will let you can mount one on the front,, otherwise maybe take a measurement from the center of the wheel hub to the outside edge of the front caliper. Look at this to see dimensions: https://www.google.com/search?q=17+...wKHQZVA5UQ9QEwA3oECAkQHQ#imgrc=cdhJeGYzo7T8JM.
If your measured dimension is less than 8.5" (17/2=8.5), then it should be with some clearance.

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
I'll make it short and sweet. Looking at upgrading to 18x8.5 or 19x8.5, both with ET of 45. Car is factory height, planning on going mild spring drop H&R OE in the future. What is the most optimal tire size for each considering future plans? Tire options are narrowed to Michelin A/S 3+ and Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06. I assume 235/35 or is it something else?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I'll make it short and sweet. Looking at upgrading to 18x8.5 or 19x8.5, both with ET of 45. Car is factory height, planning on going mild spring drop H&R OE in the future. What is the most optimal tire size for each considering future plans? Tire options are narrowed to Michelin A/S 3+ and Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06. I assume 235/35 or is it something else?
For winter use, and on a 8.5" wheel, yeah the 235/35. Don't wanna go too wide

CO_GTI_SE

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Has anyone tried the 17in Moda MD14 wheels from TireRack on their GTI with the performance pack brakes? I did some searches and no luck for that info.

vwlotech

Go Kart Newbie
looking at a set of Pirelli, Winter Sottozero 3 on my 16' R for this upcoming winter. Any pro's con's to these tires, I should know before pulling the trigger on them?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
looking at a set of Pirelli, Winter Sottozero 3 on my 16' R for this upcoming winter. Any pro's con's to these tires, I should know before pulling the trigger on them?
Myself and others complained of sidewall bubbles. I'd skip them.