GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I just ordered a set of Nexen Winguard Sport 2 in 215/45/18 to put on my stock Austins for the upcoming Chicago suburban winter. Slightly narrower, and a bit taller than OEM which is what I wanted for winter without having to get yet another set of wheels (I have summers on Konig Hypergrams).

$350 for a set of 4 with free shipping on Ebay right now is quite inexpensive: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254303238238

It's a budget winter tire for sure, but in winter tire testing, it ends up being middle of the road, with some good overall performance in the snow and dry, good longevity and quiet.
Not so good at hyrdroplaning and poor rolling resistance (poor mpg). I've used a wide variety of snow tires over the years (Blizzak WS80, LM22, General Arctics, Michelin Alpin, Hanook Icebear) so I'm interested to see how this "cheap" winter tire performs for me.

https://alltyretests.com/nexen-winguard-sport-2-test-review/

I also, just bought these. Same size ect

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
The part# is 5QF601027 or Alcar 9021.

Awesome thanks! Can't quite tell from your picture but these clear the PP brakes?

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
I also, just bought these. Same size ect

I guess we get to be the forum test subjects for the Nexens! They arrived within 2 days, and have been sitting in my garage. Will probably get them mounted on my Austins sometime next month, and then on the car after Thanksgiving. I don't expect them to be extraordinary, but I do expect them to be satisfactory in wintry conditions. Based on the test results, they should be decent, which for the price, is fine with me.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Awesome thanks! Can't quite tell from your picture but these clear the PP brakes?

Yes they clear my PP brakes.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I guess we get to be the forum test subjects for the Nexens! They arrived within 2 days, and have been sitting in my garage. Will probably get them mounted on my Austins sometime next month, and then on the car after Thanksgiving. I don't expect them to be extraordinary, but I do expect them to be satisfactory in wintry conditions. Based on the test results, they should be decent, which for the price, is fine with me.

yeah my bridgestones have 22k on them, backs are 3's and fronts are like 7's last time i checked, but tbh tires are shot, fronts had some meat but i need to remeasure. I'm not going through a PA winter with those, its a safety hazard. My girl was a bit upset I bought them (my money not hers) but im not gonna slide out and die on the highway lol.

Honestly, I was looking for the cheapest tire winter/performance there was and this was pretty much it. Around here it snows like 1 time and i wont even drive in it unless I have to. After tax and stuff I got em for like 390 which was pretty good. Not a lot of sets left and I figure as it gets colder the price will go up a lil. Same here, going to get them mounted in Late Nov, dont have a summer set yet but im going to have to buy hypergrams and summer tires... oh well

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
I measured the tread depth on my Winguard Sport 2s when they arrived, and they were right at 10/32nds on my gauge. Not as deep as some winter tires new (11-12 32nds), but they somehow have the longest treadlife according to the tire test I listed. I think that explains why they don't do as good in the hydroplane testing, since the tread isn't as deep, as well as not having a clear center channel for standing water/slush to pass through. Just something to keep in mind when driving on these. Overall they should be good in the dry, average on snow and wet pavement, and not as good in standing water and with regard to rolling resistance/mpg.

I'm still on my summers (235/40/18 General GMAX RS on Konig Hypergrams) and not wanting to put those away anytime soon. I'm debating getting my Austins powdercoated (local company does them for $200), but can't decide on a good color or that it's actually worth it. :)

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I measured the tread depth on my Winguard Sport 2s when they arrived, and they were right at 10/32nds on my gauge. Not as deep as some winter tires new (11-12 32nds), but they somehow have the longest treadlife according to the tire test I listed. I think that explains why they don't do as good in the hydroplane testing, since the tread isn't as deep, as well as not having a clear center channel for standing water/slush to pass through. Just something to keep in mind when driving on these. Overall they should be good in the dry, average on snow and wet pavement, and not as good in standing water and with regard to rolling resistance/mpg.

I'm still on my summers (235/40/18 General GMAX RS on Konig Hypergrams) and not wanting to put those away anytime soon. I'm debating getting my Austins powdercoated (local company does them for $200), but can't decide on a good color or that it's actually worth it. :)

The Euro tire label gives them a C-wet rating and E-fuel economy.

The first gen Winguard Sport has some circumferencial grooves and gets a worse E-wet rating. Never had issues in the rain with them

Last edited:

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yes they clear my PP brakes.

I wish I had known about those VW steelies two weeks ago- I just bought a set of Nokian WRG4's to fit the 18" OEM alloys on my GTI Sport. The 17's would have let me get narrower, taller-sidewall winter tires and save my alloys from the road salt cancer. Oh well...:(

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I'm using 17x8 wheels for my winter set up.

Best to pair these with 235/45 tires or 225/45.

Any advice or opinions are appreciated

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I'm using 17x8 wheels for my winter set up.

Best to pair these with 235/45 tires or 225/45.

Any advice or opinions are appreciated

If your looking for a cheaper option, I got the Nexen Winterguard sport 2's, I put these on my OEM austins, they were put on last week and I drove to Conneticuit and back then weekend and they worked fine. Didn't test in snow yet, but they perform fine on street conditions to me

King Victor VII

Car(s)
2017 VW Golf 1.8T
I’m running a 215/70/15 winter on the stock 15x7 et42 wheels with no rub

theBrandler

Ready to race!
I've got a dilemma for next season. Right now, I have Blizzaks on my stock Austins. The handling is decent, in fact I really don't notice any difference until I really start to push them. Though they do suck in the rain.

This is likely their last season and looking on TireRack for next season, I see that I can get a set of good winter tires, basically anything I want, with 16 inch wheels (their recomended setup for me 2015 GTI S) for only slightly more than the cost of brand new Blizzaks on 18 inch wheels.

How much handling will I lose to gain that much rubber protection? Will it be noticeable daily driving? I don't push handling limits this time of year because I live in New England and everything is wet/icy all the time during the winter.

Antomero

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the Michelin Pilot Alpine on 18” enkei wheels on my R and I love them. They handle the rain and snow without a problem. And you can drive aggressively too.
Great tire all around !