GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
year: 2016
make: VW
model: Golf R
tires only or winter package: Looking at 17x8 +45 with 225/45 tires.

Torn between a Performance Winter and Non-studded Snow. Commute about 80 miles a day, mostly highway. Assuming most of the time roads will be cleared but want to also account for the occasional dusting/heavy snow to drive through. It's hit or miss with CT winters.

I always recommend preparing for the worst. However there is a tire that does a good job of skating the line. The Michelin Xice XI3.

nacg8or

It is tough to say, but I always err on the side of caution. A little disappointment in dry handling is better than a totaled car and a trip to the hospital. Take a looks at the Michelin Xice XI3. Still has the $70 rebate at the moment.

Ordered the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 for my GSW. I had the Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds on my Mk5 Rabbit before that so we'll see how the Michelins do. I was going back and forth a lot on the studless vs performance winter tires given that the streets don't stay snow covered long around here but we do drive from Chicago to MI a lot and there's always a good chance of snow coming around the lake on I94.

vah5708

I decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 instead of the studless Ice and Snow. I'm in the DC-Baltimore area and have Pilot Super Sport for the good weather and HPDE events but needed better tyres for colder temps with wet and light snow conditions tyres.

Clarty

I've bought many sets of tires from Tirerack, as far back as a set of Pirelli P4000s more than 20 years ago. I've also had many sets of Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires, and I consider them the best winter tires available, period.

When will Tirerack start selling Nokian Hakkapelittas?

Last edited:

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
I've bought many sets of tires from Tirerack, as far back as a set of Pirelli P4000s more than 20 years ago. I've also had many sets of Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires, and I consider them the best winter tires available, period.

Great tire! Unfortunately the answer is a little above my pay grade. However, my understanding is that it is a distribution problem.

Redleg02

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I have a set of 17x7.5 OZ Superleggeras that I had on my recently departed MK5 GTI. I'm getting a 2017 MK7 GTI Sport, and I was wondering if I would be able to use these for winter tires, or do I need to invest in new wheels as well as new tires.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^The brakes on your Sport will be larger, but "should" clear....you might have to test fit

But other than that, the wheel specs & tire sizes are the same for the MK7 (as they were for the MK5)

YellowC4S

Ready to race!

What he said. Luckily, Discount Tire is now stocking Nokian tires.

Redleg02

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
^^^The brakes on your Sport will be larger, but "should" clear....you might have to test fit

But other than that, the wheel specs & tire sizes are the same for the MK7 (as they were for the MK5)

Thanks, I'll probably take the car and the wheels down to the local tire place and see if they'll fit before buying new tires.

Redleg02

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I've always used Nokian WRs as my winter tire. Their perfect for here in NNJ. We typically get a snowy day, then a couple days of slush, then lots of dry, cold roads. The WRs were always sure footed. Can't find them through my local STS and wouldn't want to order tires from anywhere but TireRack. Which winter tire that Tire Rack carries is going to be the closest match to the Nokian WR?

arres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 Golf R
I've always used Nokian WRs as my winter tire. Their perfect for here in NNJ. We typically get a snowy day, then a couple days of slush, then lots of dry, cold roads. The WRs were always sure footed. Can't find them through my local STS and wouldn't want to order tires from anywhere but TireRack. Which winter tire that Tire Rack carries is going to be the closest match to the Nokian WR?

I would imagine any of the top rated performance winters they carry -- Alpin PA4s, Blizzak's, Sottozero 3's...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Thanks, I'll probably take the car and the wheels down to the local tire place and see if they'll fit before buying new tires.

I wouldn't waste your time lugging them all around.
Just jack up a corner (on the front), remove the factory wheel/tire & try bolting it on and then spinning it to make sure it clears.
The wheel weights might be your only enemy, possibly

If they don't fit (they probably will though), it'll save you the time/trouble of lugging them to the shop to find that out.

And then if you do need new tires....just go to the shop and see if they have them first or need to order them, THEN go back with the wheels to get them mounted

my 2 cents

fishtizzy

Ready to race!
Unfortunately we do not have any 17" steelies, but there is a closeout right now on the Andros N2. Matching the Andros with the Blizzak WS80 would do very well.

I see you guys now have a 16X6.5 steelie package wrapped in Blizzak ws80 215/55R16's. Does this setup still maintain the factory wheel diameter? If purchased would I need to have new TPMS sensors installed or how does that work? I'm assuming there is a setting in the MFI to adjust for all this?

Thanks!