GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

am215

Ready to race!
I'm trying to reuse a set of winter tires and wheels from my old Audi on my Golf R. I already picked up the hub centric rings I need for VW but I'm having a hard time figuring out what bolts I need to buy.

Does anyone know what type of wheel bolt we need to use on the Golf?

are the wheels oem audi/volkswagen or aftermarket? if they're oem then measure the wheel hub depth and compare to your stock R wheels. if it's similar, then you can use your stock bolts.

picked up these tires when Ebay had a 15% discount. they're nexen winguard 2 in 235/40 to offer a little more rim protection. reviews indicate they're not bad for the price point, and for $300 shipped I can't imagine they're worse this winter than the re-97 a/s that I ran last year.

jb606

Passed Driver's Ed
No, I've got a wheel/tire combo (Sport Edition) that I picked up from Tire Rack back when I picked up the A4. The tires are still in really good shape so there's no point in buying new.

are the wheels oem audi/volkswagen or aftermarket? if they're oem then measure the wheel hub depth and compare to your stock R wheels. if it's similar, then you can use your stock bolts.

picked up these tires when Ebay had a 15% discount. they're nexen winguard 2 in 235/40 to offer a little more rim protection. reviews indicate they're not bad for the price point, and for $300 shipped I can't imagine they're worse this winter than the re-97 a/s that I ran last year.

H

Huntermike

Approved rim width range for a 235/40-18 is 8-9.5”. Putting them on a 7.5” Austin wheel is a mistake.

stockgolfr

Passed Driver's Ed
its not the prime size, but i dont think its a huge issue. You'll have lots of flex in the tire and generally in winter you want a more narrow tire to dig in, but as long as your not flogging it everywhere it'll do the trick.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
No, I've got a wheel/tire combo (Sport Edition) that I picked up from Tire Rack back when I picked up the A4. The tires are still in really good shape so there's no point in buying new.

Usually aftermarket wheels take conical bolts. Maybe confirm with Tire Rack if they shipped you bolts as well?

am215

Ready to race!
if they were on an A4 the tire size is likely larger, either in width or section height. do you know what size are on the wheels, as well as the wheel dimensions?

jb606

Passed Driver's Ed
Usually aftermarket wheels take conical bolts. Maybe confirm with Tire Rack if they shipped you bolts as well?

I called tire rack and I did need to get new bolts and they also said to get the back spacing the same I should run a 10mm spacer.

if they were on an A4 the tire size is likely larger, either in width or section height. do you know what size are on the wheels, as well as the wheel dimensions?

The winter setup was 225/50/17R.

Unfortunately all this was a bit of a waste because even after new bolts and spacers the wheel weights wouldn't clear the R's brake calipers. I could have probably taken them to a local tire shop to have the wheels re-balanced or I could just order a whole new set with new tires and wheels. Not money I wanted to spend right now but running summer tires during the winter just isn't smart in this area.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Tire Rack REALLY needs to sell Nokian! I live in Maine and it is by far the tire of choice up here. I run them on my 2018 GTI, 2017 Alltrack and 2012 Sprinter van. ALL studded! I have been driving in these winters for over fifty years, have used lots of snow tires, when Nokian hit the market it changed the way people perceived snow tires.....they are that good.
This is a great thread, excellent advice. It still boggles my mind that people are reluctant to spend the money on dedicated snows...it is YOUR LIFE AND YOUR LOVED ONES LIVES!

Shawny273

First Post, First GTI here folks. Came from the Mini universe, so nice to see a similar community here!

Have some 18" Detroit rims locally in good shape. Any issue getting them on this?

year: 2015
make: VW
model: GTI with Performance Pack
tires only or winter package: Winter tires and wheels that will clear the larger brake calipers of the Performance Pack.