GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
My dealer is recommending these god awful ugly tronic 17's for my winter package.

Anyone with any experience with those? Don't you hate those rims?

Edit: Looks like they throw this size on there: 205/50R17 93T X. Damn, how is that going to look?

That is the Dijon alloy which is standard on all GT/Highline spec Golfs in Europe...

However it is in the "winter" narrower size of 6" wide...for a 205mm wide tyre...normally they are 7" wide with a 225/45R17...

I know as my car with them (7"wide) & I sold them straight away as I had two sets of alloys ready & waiting...

Both the same sizes for alloy & tyres..225/45R17 on a 7" wide rim...running Michelin Alpin A5 tyres or winter on big chunky five spokes for winter & multispokes for summer with another Michelin tyre..

Plenty of pics in my build thread..:cool:

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
For anyone with experience with Michelins X-Ice XI3, I'm looking to buy some 225/45/18s
and was wondering how does the longevity look like? Could I dare to hope for at least half of Michelin's 6years/40k miles claim over 3-4 winters?

H

Huntermike

For anyone with experience with Michelins X-Ice XI3, I'm looking to buy some 225/45/18s
and was wondering how does the longevity look like? Could I dare to hope for at least half of Michelin's 6years/40k miles claim over 3-4 winters?

I ran 1 set of Xi3’s on 2 different Accords over 25k miles. They were still above the snow wear bars around 7/32”. They will definitely last 40k. But...

The last years’ snow performance was seriously lacking. Still better than an A/S tire but I missed the security of a new(er) tire.

Michelin’s warranty does require removal during warmer weather and once they’re worn under 6/32’s you can run them as an A/S tire.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
I ran 1 set of Xi3’s on 2 different Accords over 25k miles. They were still above the snow wear bars around 7/32”. They will definitely last 40k. But...

The last years’ snow performance was seriously lacking. Still better than an A/S tire but I missed the security of a new(er) tire.

Michelin’s warranty does require removal during warmer weather and once they’re worn under 6/32’s you can run them as an A/S tire.

That is pretty reassuring!

I think I do no more than about 7k miles during the 4 months the winter tires are on. I wouldn't keep the tires more than 4 years anyway, the compound ages and hardens even if the tread is still there.

The winters have been getting milder in Chicago for the last few years in terms of snowfall, so there's a chance 4 winters from now there won't be much snow to speak of anyway. Just for the cold temps alone the amount of tread left is less important.

Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I have the Nokian Hakke R2 and they are wearing really quickly, I'll be lucky to get 3 seasons out of them. For a mild winter climate like the PNW at sea level they're overkill.

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
Does anyone have a recommended pressure for 225/45R17 winter tires? I have a 2018 GTI SE, so probably the pressure for the original 18" tires isn't optimal for the snows. Winter Sottozero, if anyone cares.

Thanks!
kevin

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone have a recommended pressure for 225/45R17 winter tires? I have a 2018 GTI SE, so probably the pressure for the original 18" tires isn't optimal for the snows. Winter Sottozero, if anyone cares.

Thanks!
kevin

Your answer is on your current summer tire's sidewall and on the snow tire's side wall.
Summer tire is (?) 225/40R18 91 V or something similar, as I don't have a GTI so I'm guessing.
Winter tire is 225/45R17 (94 H) < guessing.

Now use this form and cross reference the summer and winter tire and staying within the summer tires load rating(assuming it's stock), use the tire pressure it tells you to use.
http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/589830/23447320/1378330097907/Discount+Tire+inflation.pdf

Or just reach out to Pirelli and ask them.

Example:
I have an R with: 235/35R19 91Y XL load rating (1288 rating from chart).
Using the chart, 91 is my stock load rating (left side of chart), top of chart is stock PSI, which is 39psi for my R (found in the driver's door), my winters are: 225/40R18 92V XL load rating.
Using the chart I can drop 1 psi from the stock tire 39psi to 38psi, contacting Michelin (I have Pilot Alpin PA4's) they said to just leave it at 39 psi.

Last edited:

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Guys 225/45/18 on austins lowered on ED springs? Got a deal on gentley used blizzak ws80s and want to pounce on them

That's the setup I run, but with Eibach Pro Kit springs. No issues on fitment. However, I can't stand the WS80. Loudest tire I've ever run, and wore from brand new right down to the wear bars in one season. Will be lucky to get a season and a half out of them. Never again.

H

Huntermike

Your answer is on your current summer tire's sidewall and on the snow tire's side wall.
Summer tire is (?) 225/40R18 91 V or something similar, as I don't have a GTI so I'm guessing.
Winter tire is 225/45R17 (94 H) < guessing.

Now use this form and cross reference the summer and winter tire and staying within the summer tires load rating(assuming it's stock), use the tire pressure it tells you to use.
http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/589830/23447320/1378330097907/Discount+Tire+inflation.pdf

Or just reach out to Pirelli and ask them.

Example:
I have an R with: 235/35R19 91Y XL load rating (1288 rating from chart).
Using the chart, 91 is my stock load rating (left side of chart), top of chart is stock PSI, which is 39psi for my R (found in the driver's door), my winters are: 225/40R18 92V XL load rating.
Using the chart I can drop 1 psi from the stock tire 39psi to 38psi, contacting Michelin (I have Pilot Alpin PA4's) they said to just leave it at 39 psi.
For once a proper, technical reply! Good on you.

To be short and sweet, stock GTI tires are 92XL load rated, your Pirelli snows are 94XL. You could safely drop your tire pressure 2psi BUT...most tire companies recommend adding 2psi in the winter.

So, leave it at 37(or 33 if you run comfort pressures).

https://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=168

stockgolfr

Passed Driver's Ed
Got a crazy deal on some Falken Euro Winters 225/40 18 on the 10% off eBay sale 2 weeks back. Something around 300 shipped for all 4 through discount tire direct. I read some mixed reviews, anyone have experience with them?

Always ran blizzaks on my subies and was pretty happy with them, but I'm not expecting much for 1/3 of the price.

Last edited:

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
For once a proper, technical reply! Good on you.

To be short and sweet, stock GTI tires are 92XL load rated, your Pirelli snows are 94XL. You could safely drop your tire pressure 2psi BUT...most tire companies recommend adding 2psi in the winter.

So, leave it at 37(or 33 if you run comfort pressures).

https://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=168

According to that chart my summer tires (PZ4s) should've had 42 psi in them; ran them at 35-36 (less than even the door sticker that says 37psi) and they got so worn out in the middle from overinflation that I had to throw them away after 15k miles.

I got Sottozeros for winter like you (225/45/18) last week and I plan on running them at 32-33 psi.

H

Huntermike

Got a crazy deal on some Falken Euro Winters 225/40 18 on the 10% off eBay sale 2 weeks back. Something around 300 shipped for all 4 through discount tire direct. I read some mixed reviews, anyone have experience with them?

Always ran blizzaks on my subies and was pretty happy with them, but I'm not expecting much for 1/3 of the price.

I guess we’ll find out! I’ve run Michelin’s for the last 20 or so years but with winters becoming milder I’m trying the Falken too. They look like a middle of the road tire that’s getting a little old tech. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/Eurowinter-HS449.htm

stockgolfr

Passed Driver's Ed
I guess we’ll find out! I’ve run Michelin’s for the last 20 or so years but with winters becoming milder I’m trying the Falken too. They look like a middle of the road tire that’s getting a little old tech. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/Eurowinter-HS449.htm

Same here, NYC doesn't get walloped too often so I decided to give these a go. Definitely a good price and if it gets me from A to B in the wet and slushy conditions i'll be happy.

jb606

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm trying to reuse a set of winter tires and wheels from my old Audi on my Golf R. I already picked up the hub centric rings I need for VW but I'm having a hard time figuring out what bolts I need to buy.

Does anyone know what type of wheel bolt we need to use on the Golf?