GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

mrichard

Winter tire help

I just bought a 2017 GTI SE and recently moved back to Connecticut. I'm looking to purchase Blizzak WS80s for the GTI.

Will they fit over the stock rims, or will/should I buy new rims?

Redleg02

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I just bought a 2017 GTI SE and recently moved back to Connecticut. I'm looking to purchase Blizzak WS80s for the GTI.

Will they fit over the stock rims, or will/should I buy new rims?

You can get WS80 to fit the stock wheel, but I would get another set f wheels anyways, either something to put summer tires on, or for winter use with the WS80s.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
If the SE has the same brakes as the performance pack then the answer is no. You would need 17" wheels.

Kart17

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
Just ordered a set of 17" MSW Type 22's with XIce XI3's in 225/45/17. Don't want to damage my Nogaros on the crappy winter roads.

MrMojoRisin1287

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally snow

Grew up in Massachusetts and lived in Alaska for 3 years but never put winter tires on any of my cars. Just moved to West Virginia this year, pretty much on top of a mountain, so I figured it'd be a good idea to throw some winter rubber on there (went with the Bridgestone Blizzaks). Finally got some snow this morning on the way into work, man what a difference. Kind of kicking myself for not getting winter tires sooner. The GTI felt planted on these twisty mountain roads.

The biggest issue now will be battling over confidence similar to my Subaru days.

Hardcore VW

Passed Driver's Ed
Snow tires on snowflakes, went with Yokahama IceGaurd from Tire Rack, it's my 1st set of snow tires so I don't have a lot to compare them to other than being awesome compared to all seasons. It's not like AWD, but dare I say it's as close as you can get in FWD! (dry hooning has suffered, but I'll be an adult until spring) or at least try.

drewsro

Passed Driver's Ed
Just want to confirm, will a 16" steel wheel from TireRack (16"x6.5" with 42 offset) fit on a 2016 GTI S, no performance package. Want to make sure there is enough brake clearance.

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
So, i live in Raleigh, NC area. In a given winter, we might get 3-4 snow events, most under say 4 inches or we might get nothing but rain all winter. I have a job that sometimes i just have to get there and drive in the snow. I have thought about winter tires before, but always held off due to worrying about driving on dry roads 95% + of the time. Will they last at least a couple years under this sort of use?

arres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 Golf R
So, i live in Raleigh, NC area. In a given winter, we might get 3-4 snow events, most under say 4 inches or we might get nothing but rain all winter. I have a job that sometimes i just have to get there and drive in the snow. I have thought about winter tires before, but always held off due to worrying about driving on dry roads 95% + of the time. Will they last at least a couple years under this sort of use?

I've heard good things about the Nokian WRG3. They're a "snowflake" certified all season tire. I know members who use them in New England. Not sure if people use them year round but could probably use for several months before and after the winter time.

Can't tell you how many seasons you'll get out of them. If you'll use them strictly during the few months you actually get snow I'm sure they'll last you several years.

Edit: Otherwise, a winter performance should be fine. I wouldn't go for a dedicated winter, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
I've heard good things about the Nokian WRG3. They're a "snowflake" certified all season tire. I know members who use them in New England. Not sure if people use them year round but could probably use for several months before and after the winter time.

Can't tell you how many seasons you'll get out of them. If you'll use them strictly during the few months you actually get snow I'm sure they'll last you several years.

Edit: Otherwise, a winter performance should be fine. I wouldn't go for a dedicated winter, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll have to look into them. I'd definitely keep them on for winter only. Probably January-march is all I'd need winters for. But today it's 60 and sunny so I'd have a good amount of that on them each year. On the other hand, it would let me get much better tires for the rest of the year instead of the no seasons.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Thanks, I'll have to look into them. I'd definitely keep them on for winter only. Probably January-march is all I'd need winters for. But today it's 60 and sunny so I'd have a good amount of that on them each year. On the other hand, it would let me get much better tires for the rest of the year instead of the no seasons.

You should better use "cold weather" tyres. Even if they don't have the "snowflake" icon on the side, they cope pretty well in the situations you described and you won't lose in and dry/cold (below 7°C) tarmac performance. A friend of mine uses the Pirelli Sotto Zero for three winters and he likes them very much.

Clarty

Snow tires on snowflakes, went with Yokahama IceGaurd from Tire Rack, it's my 1st set of snow tires so I don't have a lot to compare them to other than being awesome compared to all seasons. It's not like AWD, but dare I say it's as close as you can get in FWD! (dry hooning has suffered, but I'll be an adult until spring) or at least try.

Those snowflake wheels are bleeping magnificent! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find them in 16", which is about as big as I'd care to go given the cost and comfort (I'm old and fat, and my MG Midget beats the crap out of me whenever I have the inclination for self-abuse.)
As for AWD vs. snow tires, I'll take a RWD car with four winter tires over AWD and all seasons all day long. I had General Altimax Arctics on my Mercedes 300SE for three Minnesota winters and never slid unintentionally or got stuck once, even driving back from Duluth in a snow storm. My wife's Volvo V70XC had good all-seasons and was nowhere near as good in snow as the RWD Merc with snow tires.