GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Setup + Non OEM Brake Experiences

lakeeffect

Hey all,

New to the Golf R community. Drove a '98 Saab 900s (one of the last ever made in Sweden), a '04 330xi, and a 2018 Outback - which I hated and just traded in for a 2016 Golf R, 31,000 miles, built 05/2015. Love it.

Though I'm new the forum, I did search and didn't find this, so here goes. If it should go somewhere else or its already been answered, please direct me there. I love these types of internet forums, but they all kind of have different personalities/rules. Feel free to fill a new guy in.

My question is - I know many people do not replace the brakes with OEM when the go (my ladyfriend works in the aftermarket sector at Gates Corp., and made a pretty compelling case why). Alright, fine and dandy.

I live in CO, with bad snow and trash roads, so I am looking to get a designated '17 wheel setup for winter tires. That said, I know many '17 wheels have trouble clearing the OEM brakes, but I've searched and found out which ones do.

But as to non-OEM brakes, has anyone installed their recommended aftermarket brakes (feel free to list yours) and found they do/do not clear a certain '17 inch wheel. Has anyone installed aftermarket brakes they recommend that they know clears their '17 inch wheel?

I've read brake clearance on '17 wheels can come down to millimeters, so I want to be sure when I get my winter setup it can accommodate aftermarket brakes down the line.

Thoughts appreciated, looking forward to getting to know everyone.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I suspect you're right about aftermarket performance brakes and clearance with 17" wheels. However unless you plan to go with a super-aggressive winter rally style setup (narrow tires/rims, max sidewall height, studs), I'm not so sure that going all the way to seventeens is necessary at all.

When I bought my 2015 R I immediately downsized to 18" wheels for summer and bought another set in that diameter for my winter tires too. This also gives flexibility in which set of rims I use for which season. Comfort and wheel protection are both improved, and the 18" Blizzaks are very capable — and fun! — in the snow. In your region I'd buy a set of Hakkas and 18" wheels and call it done.

The R's real limiting factor in seriously heavy snow conditions is ground clearance, not tire/wheel fitment.

Neil

lakeeffect

Thanks, NCM. And no doubt you are correct on the ground clearance. That's going to be the one we can't get around.

I appreciate the thoughts. My main reason for wanting '17s is not so much cutting through the snow, but just the potholes and road quality around here. The '18 Cadzis ar harsh, and I know it's just a matter of time before I pop something or bend the rim. I drive a lot for work on roads that I'm unfamiliar with, and when there's snow on them, you can't avoid everything.

But I may very well go the route you're suggesting. It is definitely the easiest, and probably equally as capable in snow.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I only know of one BBK that is going to fit under 17's. The stock Golf R brakes barely clear a couple 17 inch wheels so unless you go with a stoptech 328 kit, you will have to run 18's in winter with a BBK. Better off going with any bbk out there that has 355 rotors and run 18's

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
These are tire rack 17” winter wheels on oem stock brakes, fit no problem.

And these are some 18” enkie winter wheels, the 17s ride nicer and deal better with potholes.

Attachments

• CF4A9705-EA77-4271-B907-B179F76DB8FE.jpeg
    CF4A9705-EA77-4271-B907-B179F76DB8FE.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 6E01E471-6675-4C1E-A9D4-CC46B157A498.jpeg
    6E01E471-6675-4C1E-A9D4-CC46B157A498.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 314

Derassassin

Passed Driver's Ed
I ordered a set of 17in wheels with Sottozero tires for winter from Tirerack. Used their recommendation on what will fit and have not had issues. This is my third season running the set up. Living in the midwest, I love the sidewall the 17s provide given the road conditions here.

Ben

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
unless you're tracking the car im not sure why you'd replace the entire front brake setup. Just upgrade the discs and the pads and you should be fine.

lakeeffect

Not sure if I would either, but there are rumblings that moving away from OEM may be the way to go beyond just pads may be the way to go from some techs I know. But as pointed out, most of our cars haven't been on the road long enough to know. Just figured I'd ask if anyone had already found out the hard way.

Think I'm going with '17's. Some great deals that are hard to pass up and in stock locally. Thank's everyone!

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I only know of one BBK that is going to fit under 17's. The stock Golf R brakes barely clear a couple 17 inch wheels so unless you go with a stoptech 328 kit, you will have to run 18's in winter with a BBK. Better off going with any bbk out there that has 355 rotors and run 18's

Yeah, considering that the R stock fronts are 345mm, a StopTech 328 would have to qualify as an SBK — Small Brake Kit!

My main reason for wanting '17s is not so much cutting through the snow, but just the potholes and road quality around here. The '18 Cadzis ar harsh, and I know it's just a matter of time before I pop something or bend the rim. I drive a lot for work on roads that I'm unfamiliar with, and when there's snow on them, you can't avoid everything.

Consider whether the harshness of your summer 18's may be less due to the wheel size, and more to whatever tires you have on them. I also think the recommended stock inflation pressure of 39 psi is rather high. I run mine 1-2 psi lower. The 18" Michelin PS2's on my R are surprisingly comfortable, despite being performance tires. The same is true for the Michelin PS4S's on my E36 M3, although those are 17" (older car).

I'm usually a BBK fan (StopTech 332's all round on the M3), but the stock R brakes are pretty good. The 345mm front size is generous, and even though the calipers are single piston sliders rather than fixed multi-piston, they're rigid and give good pedal feel.

Neil

lakeeffect

Consider whether the harshness of your summer 18's may be less due to the wheel size, and more to whatever tires you have on them. I also think the recommended stock inflation pressure of 39 psi is rather high. I run mine 1-2 psi lower. The 18" Michelin PS2's on my R are surprisingly comfortable, despite being performance tires. The same is true for the Michelin PS4S's on my E36 M3, although those are 17" (older car).

Neil

I was considering that too. I've been on other '18 wheels with summer tires that didn't seem as rough (different suspension though, obviously), and I'm wondering if I'm just not a fan of the ContiSportContact ride.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Don't you have 19" Cadiz? I didn't think 18's were available.

I agree with NCM, reducing pressures on 19's by a couple of pounds make the ride much better. You do realize 39 PSI is to get the most out of MPH testing? The tires heat up quickly, so you're really running about 42-43 PSI. Leave the TPMS set to 39 so you'll still get the same warning at about 32-33.

I've been running my PS4S like this for about 6,000 miles and can't complain about the ride. I have DCC set to comfort, if you don't I'm sure the ride is harsh at 39, even when set to normal.

I think if I still lived in snowland I'd install the aluminum under-engine cover and maybe remove the bumper lip.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Don't you have 19" Cadiz? I didn't think 18's were available.

I agree with NCM, reducing pressures on 19's by a couple of pounds make the ride much better. You do realize 39 PSI is to get the most out of MPH testing? The tires heat up quickly, so you're really running about 42-43 PSI. Leave the TPMS set to 39 so you'll still get the same warning at about 32-33.

I've been running my PS4S like this for about 6,000 miles and can't complain about the ride. I have DCC set to comfort, if you don't I'm sure the ride is harsh at 39, even when set to normal.

I think if I still lived in snowland I'd install the aluminum under-engine cover and maybe remove the bumper lip.

Cars without DCC got 18 inch wheels.

lakeeffect

Under-engine is on the short list, for sure. I like the bumper lip, so I'm going to see if I can get away with it for a while. Fortunately, we don't have a bunch of ice clumps like the midwest likely to tear it off (used to live in MI). We generally have powder, the real wet stuff, black ice, or sunshine. Makes tire shopping interesting.

Think I've decided to stick to '18s and go with a better wheel/tire setup, and drop the pressure a bit as you suggested. It dawned on me I hadn't checked what the dealer had them at yet, and they were a little overinflated.

Going to try the OZ Leggera HLT, and Vredestein Quatrac 5. I was initially skeptical about the "winter rated" all-seasons, but the reviews are excellent, and I don't track my car. Plus, it's already almost February (yikes!).

Appreciate everyone's help. Looking forward to interacting more. I'll be posting some custom audio stuff here within the next month (I have a good idea how to bypass the factory stereo equalizer, going to give it a shot), and will leave my impressions on the wheels/tires I go with.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R

Oh thanks for that reminder, Mr. Florida! Here in NE Indiana it's currently -15˚F plus an ugly wind chill factor, with several inches of residual snow that's definitely not melting.

Our snow doesn't usually get terribly deep, so the bumper lip stays. I did fit the VW factory FRP under-engine pan though, mostly to protect the plastic oil sump. Tires are 225/40R18 Blizzak LM001 performance winters that work nicely with the AWD to get anywhere I need to go.

Neil