GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter is coming...

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Hello all -

I recently purchased a 2016 GTI Autobahn 6MT w/ PP in the spring, and have loved every second behind the wheel so far. I live in Minneapolis, MN and the weather has turned decidedly fall-ish (minus these last few days where its been 80+), and so naturally I've started to think about a winter tire/wheel set-up as this is my DD.

I used to DD a Fiat 500 Abarth (lol) and went through multiple MN winters with zero issues with a nice pair of Blizzaks on stock rims (performance Pirelli's in the summer :cool:). I'd like to get a similar set-up on my GTI, but I wanted to hear other's thoughts on whether or not to buy a separate set of rims for winter (or buy a nice set of rims and use the stock Detroit's as a winter set) along with new winter tires as well.

Again, I do have the PP, which means larger brakes. I guess my questions are:

- Do I need winter tires (I'm leaning towards yes), and what brand?
- Do I need winter rims (vs. swapping the winter tires onto my stock Detroit's every winter/spring), and what brand?
- If I need winter rims, what size do I need to clear the PP brakes (diameter, offset, etc)?

Thank you for your time!

1. Do you need winter tires? Depends, how much is your collision deductible and how much of an increase of your premium you're willing to pay for if you do get into an accident?

2. There is the "all-weather" option such as Nokian WR G4, Michelin CrossClimate (if it's available in your size) or Vredestein Quatrac 5, if you're too lazy to swap wheels every season.

3. If you want winter rims, 17", much of the 17" wheels from other VW's work (and Audi), such as B6 Passat 7.5J x 17 ET 47 wheels

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
1. Do you need winter tires? Depends, how much is your collision deductible and how much of an increase of your premium you're willing to pay for if you do get into an accident?

2. There is the "all-weather" option such as Nokian WR G4, Michelin CrossClimate (if it's available in your size) or Vredestein Quatrac 5, if you're too lazy to swap wheels every season.

3. If you want winter rims, 17", much of the 17" wheels from other VW's work (and Audi), such as B6 Passat 7.5J x 17 ET 47 wheels

Winter tires should be mandatory between Nov 15 and Mar 15. All seasons don’t cut it... at all.

17” if possible for more tire to protect the rim.

I’ve run Blizzacks, x-ice, winterforce, and Hakka’s. I’d stick with the Bridgestone and Michilen. Winterforce are decent in fluff, but suck on glare ice, or any ice. Hakka’s are mostly hype that the mid-2000 Subaru owners have spread as they changed marquis, along with red mud flaps and gaudy gold wheels.

Last edited:

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Winter tires should be mandatory between Nov 15 and Mar 15. All seasons don’t cut it... at all.

17” if possible for more tire to protect the rim.

I’ve run Blizzacks, x-ice, winterforce, and Hakka’s. I’d stick with the Bridgestone and Michilen. Winterforce are decent in fluff, but suck on glare ice, or any ice. Hakka’s are mostly hype that the mid-2000 Subaru owners have spread as they changed marquis, along with red mud flaps and gaudy gold wheels.

Where do you think you are? Quebec province of Canada?

If Minnesota passes a law mandating winter tires, people are going to be initially pissed.

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
For 17” wheels, is there any issues going with a 205/50/17 tire? It’s an exact match to the overall diameter of the 225/40/18 stock setup.

Would 205 be too narrow? I know thinner tires cut through snow better, but anything else I should be concerned with on a 7.5” wide wheel?

I believe the common size people go with is 215/45/17.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
For 17” wheels, is there any issues going with a 205/50/17 tire? It’s an exact match to the overall diameter of the 225/40/18 stock setup.

Would 205 be too narrow? I know thinner tires cut through snow better, but anything else I should be concerned with on a 7.5” wide wheel?

It's fine for a 7.5" wide wheel. 205/50 needs a 5.5" to 7.5" wide wheel.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Where do you think you are? Quebec province of Canada?

If Minnesota passes a law mandating winter tires, people are going to be initially pissed.

Ha!! We can’t even get simple hands free legislation to be enforced... don’t get me started on metering lights.

I’m just glad my contract says on days of projected poor weather/road conditions, I don’t have to come into the office my one scheduled day per week. For a culture that embraces some of the coldest temps in CONUS, we sure suck at driving in it.

OP, 215 is a good width, where more specifically do you live? I might go against the grain and say 225 or 235 will be better to help you float.

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
It's fine for a 7.5" wide wheel. 205/50 needs a 5.5" to 7.5" wide wheel.

Thanks. Good to know. I will check out 205/50 and 215/50 - the wider tire might just be the better option to minimize stretch, while also providing a slightly taller sidewall to help with winter potholes. :)

Slipstream

loweritonh&rsports.com
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

205/50/17 and 225/45/17 are both within a few RPM of the stock 225/40/18 tire diameter. 215/50 is +14 RPM, causing a 1-2mph speedo difference at 60mph.

225/45/17 has historically been the OEM size for GTIs/GLIs equipped with a 17x7.5" wheel, FWIW.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Just as an aside - I just wore through a set of Blizzak WS80 in under 2 seasons and couldn't stand every minute of it. Noisiest set of winter tires I've ever used, lackluster handling in anything but snow, and the tread life was abysmal. IMO they are a VERY average winter tire with a premium price tag. YMMV of course, but I'd personally never buy them again.

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
205/50/17 and 225/45/17 are both within a few RPM of the stock 225/40/18 tire diameter. 215/50 is +14 RPM, causing a 1-2mph speedo difference at 60mph.

225/45/17 has historically been the OEM size for GTIs/GLIs equipped with a 17x7.5" wheel, FWIW.

Thanks for that input. I will have a closer look at all sizes. The 215/50/17 is a +1.6% variance, so not too far off. I've always tried to sat at 2% variance or less, so all three sizes referenced here will work. Just want to weigh the amount of width vs sidewall.

Just as an aside - I just wore through a set of Blizzak WS80 in under 2 seasons and couldn't stand every minute of it. Noisiest set of winter tires I've ever used, lackluster handling in anything but snow, and the tread life was abysmal. IMO they are a VERY average winter tire with a premium price tag. YMMV of course, but I'd personally never buy them again.

The Blizzaks tend to have a good "name" behind them, but you're not the only one I've read complaining about their performance.

I am going with Michelin X-Ice3. Had them on my previous car and they were great. I do a lot of highway driving and am in a mainly urban area, and they fit that bill perfectly. In deeper snow, there are better options though in my opinion.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Contemplating running my 225/45 Hakka R2's on my reverse staggered RPF1 setup (17x8.5 F, 17x8 R). Not sure I can stand the look of the sunken in stock Brooklyn's this winter.

Should I do it?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Contemplating running my 225/45 Hakka R2's on my reverse staggered RPF1 setup (17x8.5 F, 17x8 R). Not sure I can stand the look of the sunken in stock Brooklyn's this winter.

Should I do it?

Why not.

Of course I’m the guy that was running white TE37 Gravels on a 1g dodge neon :D