Car(s)
Mk7.5 Sportwagen 1.8
love your R. Where do you go ice racing around Boston? Looks like a hoot

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
IMG_0850.JPG

I was greeted by the warm low of a check engine light the other day. After doing some debugging, I found the issue to be that the auxiliary water pump had failed and was shorting power to ground. I wasn't able to easily access it, so I threw my car and a pile of money at a mechanic to make the problem go away.

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Finally got around to installing a catch can and a BL PCV plate. Installation was straightforwards, although I continue to be in contention for worlds slowest mechanic. My engine bay is now uglier than before, but hopefully I no longer throw subaru vape clouds on track. This nice thing about this catch can is that they have a little bypass hose to make it easier to remove over the winter.

IMG_0873.JPG

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
A solid mk7 showing at Club Motorsports today. Haven’t tracked this car in a bit, it has so much power on tap. New catch can/pcv seemed to do their jobs well. No smoke, CEL, or oil loss. Corded a RT660 halfway through the day, so I borrowed a friend’s PS4S and ran a weird mixed tire setup.
DE528B26-6D1B-4E5D-B268-0FB0101F5892.jpeg

Last edited:

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S
A solid mk7 showing at Club Motorsports today. Haven’t tracked this car in a bit, it has so much power on tap. New catch can/pcv seemed to do their jobs well. No smoke, CEL, or oil loss. Corded a RT660 halfway through the day, so I borrowed a friend’s PS4S and ran a weird mixed tire setup.
View attachment 258089
Weather finally chilled out, too, and I bet you guys had a great day! I’m headed to Palmer 9/17 with a small group - hope to see you guys there

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I’ve been toying with ice racing this year and wondering what tire you’d run?

I’m sure I’d want studs but my wife will be a little pissed if I buy another set of wheels. Oh well, if I can find some used wheels that are reasonable. I might have to start using the woodshed for awhile, lol.

Last edited:

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I want to preface my response with saying that I currently own four sets of wheels for this car.

I personally use studless Blizzak WS90, and find them just fine for the few ice events I do every year. Check with your local events organizers on what their requirements for tires are. My club requires some sort of winter tire (no all season allowed), and classing is done by drive configuration and tire type (studless, DOT studs, or Super Studs).

Ice racing is a world apart from typical tarmac based events, and I'd absolutely recommend trying it out if you have the opportunity.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I want to preface my response with saying that I currently own four sets of wheels for this car.

I personally use studless Blizzak WS90, and find them just fine for the few ice events I do every year. Check with your local events organizers on what their requirements for tires are. My club requires some sort of winter tire (no all season allowed), and classing is done by drive configuration and tire type (studless, DOT studs, or Super Studs).

Ice racing is a world apart from typical tarmac based events, and I'd absolutely recommend trying it out if you have the opportunity.
Thanks Man. Yep I think 4 sets would be the way, which is ridiculous but also understandable. I have a friend that does ice events and I’ll try to give it a go.

Well shit, I see that they’ve cancelled the season for the first time in 46 years. Damn.

https://ourgangiceracing.com/

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Thanks Man. Yep I think 4 sets would be the way, which is ridiculous but also understandable. I have a friend that does ice events and I’ll try to give it a go.

Well shit, I see that they’ve cancelled the season for the first time in 46 years. Damn.

https://ourgangiceracing.com/
That sucks. I better get my fill of ice racing in before global warming cancels it for everyone south of the arctic circle.

I'll be the first to admit 4 wheelsets is excessive. One is just a temporary set of track wheels that I'm burning the tires off before flipping.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
That sucks. I better get my fill of ice racing in before global warming cancels it for everyone south of the arctic circle.

I'll be the first to admit 4 wheelsets is excessive. One is just a temporary set of track wheels that I'm burning the tires off before flipping.
I looked again and they said 2022 season is cancelled, but maybe that means last season? Idk, I still have hope. Yeah I have both street and track wheels with 200tw summer’s, so that’s my fault. Wouldn’t be a problem but the last tire swap was $180 for (outstanding) mobile tire service. I know I know, gotta pay to play!