GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wing mirror glass replacement

Marshy

Hi all

New to this site so apologies if it's not the right place. Also I appreciate the world is in crisis and this probably isn't overly important but....

I have a 2016 Golf R. Reversed off the drive and the driver's side wing mirror glass just literally popped off and smashed on the floor. (My husband does not believe it happened this way but 'scouts honour' it really did just pop off).

So there's a clear film left on the spot where the mirror was. I need to replace it as I'm one of the lucky people still working daily so need to use the car and be able to see when I'm changing lanes. But.. .going online and I don't really know what I'm looking for so need some help please.

Do i need just replacement glass and does it just stick onto that film or, on other sites I see glass on a plastic case that looks like it clips in so do I get that?

Please help me!! Thanks so much and stay healthy ?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hi all

New to this site so apologies if it's not the right place. Also I appreciate the world is in crisis and this probably isn't overly important but....

I have a 2016 Golf R. Reversed off the drive and the driver's side wing mirror glass just literally popped off and smashed on the floor. (My husband does not believe it happened this way but 'scouts honour' it really did just pop off).

So there's a clear film left on the spot where the mirror was. I need to replace it as I'm one of the lucky people still working daily so need to use the car and be able to see when I'm changing lanes. But.. .going online and I don't really know what I'm looking for so need some help please.

Do i need just replacement glass and does it just stick onto that film or, on other sites I see glass on a plastic case that looks like it clips in so do I get that?

Please help me!! Thanks so much and stay healthy ?
You're not the first person this has happened to, and you certainly won't be the last.

My friend and I's cars both had this happen within a month of each other - driver side on both occasions.

You're looking for the glass with plastic case that clips in to the motor. Really easy to remove and put on. Try and get OEM if possible, but be aware the VAG price is ludicrous...

Where are you based? I'll get you the correct P/N for your region.

Marshy

Ah thanks so much thats really helpful. I'm in Essex near Southend. Very odd its always the drivers side ?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Ah thanks so much thats really helpful. I'm in Essex near Southend. Very odd its always the drivers side ?

You don't have Blind Spot Assist do you?

On the assumption you don't, the part number for a RHD driver side heated panel is 5G0857522A. There's one on eBay here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAG...293779&hash=item593f39c83a:g:eVkAAOSwCL9eHcCx

I wasn't joking when I said the price was ludicrous.

I bought aftermarket - this one specifically: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Right-Dr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It fits and stays on, but it's a bit tight to clip in unlike the OEM panel.

Last edited:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie

starfield

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW Golf 1.6L tdi
Hello everybody

I am afraid I have to revive this post.
Well the same thing happened to me, this time it is on the passenger side. (I am in the UK btw, the steering is on the correct side !!)
The story goes like that: I washed the car but did not drive until a few days later. As soon as I unfolded the mirror and put it into gear, the glass just fell off and broke. I have to admit it was a windy day though !!!

I have already ordered a cheap replacement:

https://phoenixwingmirrors.co.uk/search.php?search_query="VW GOLF "&section=product

1614285987013.png

Rav

Car(s)
Vw golf
Hi I had the same thing happen on Friday. Mine is the passenger side one. I've tried halfords and vw but no one has any stock as apparently lots of people with the mk7 have had the same problem. Anyone know where I can get replacement mirror glass from please?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hi I had the same thing happen on Friday. Mine is the passenger side one. I've tried halfords and vw but no one has any stock as apparently lots of people with the mk7 have had the same problem. Anyone know where I can get replacement mirror glass from please?
eBay.