GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windshield replacement

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Always get OEM glass, not only for the fit but if trade in the car, one of the first things they look for is the etched VW logo in the lower corner of the glass.

Interesting.

I‘m in the UK and maybe the situation is different here. There are two main manufacturers of car glass, whether it’s OEM or a non-OEM replacement; Pilkington and Saint Gobain and the production process for OEM and non-OEM glass is the same; the only difference seems to be the brand logo etched into the glass.

I’ve traded in a car with a replacement non-OEM windscreen, it’s never been an issue, nor has it adversely impacted the trade in value I’ve been given (I research beforehand to make sure I’m getting a fair, realistic price for my car). I’ve also never had any issues with a non-OEM screen being a poor fit or poor quality and I’ve found some aftermarket screens less susceptible to breaking from stone impacts than OEM screens - maybe I’ve just been lucky?

Also in the UK, the insurance excess / deductible for OEM replacement glass can be higher than it is for the non-OEM equivalent.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Interesting.

I‘m in the UK and maybe the situation is different here. There are two main manufacturers of car glass, whether it’s OEM or a non-OEM replacement; Pilkington and Saint Gobain and the production process for OEM and non-OEM glass is the same; the only difference seems to be the brand logo etched into the glass.

I’ve traded in a car with a replacement non-OEM windscreen, it’s never been an issue, nor has it adversely impacted the trade in value I’ve been given (I research beforehand to make sure I’m getting a fair, realistic price for my car). I’ve also never had any issues with a non-OEM screen being a poor fit or poor quality and I’ve found some aftermarket screens less susceptible to breaking from stone impacts than OEM screens - maybe I’ve just been lucky?

Also in the UK, the insurance excess / deductible for OEM replacement glass can be higher than it is for the non-OEM equivalent.

Pilkington would be my go-to if it were readily available.

I’ve never had the windshield be scrutinized on any trade in myself.