GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windshield Replacement - Things to watch out for (checklist)

wlfpck

Ready to race!
So just got my windshield replaced. You'll want to pay attention to a couple things as it was pretty bad for me. Number 2 pretty much sums up my experience.

1. When they replace the windshield, make sure they have the rubber trim at the bottom of the windshield. This NEEDS to be there.

2. Watch how they remove and reinstall the windshield cowl. The only thing that holds it in place is the rubber gasket/trim on the bottom of the windshield, the clip in the middle, and the foam pieces that are on the inside of the fenders. The guy that did mine, didn't have the rubber gasket so in his moment of genius (sarcasm), he decided to use self tapping screws and screw the windshield cowl into the strut towers. Lucky for me, the 2 holes he made were tiny. Took the screws out. Coated the holes with Rust Bullet to keep it from rusting. Had a dealership and a body shop check to make sure that the holes weren't going to cause structural issues. Now to get the windshield place to pay for a new windshield cowl.

3. Watch for scratches when they remove the windshield. A lot of places use a knife/putty knife thing to remove the windshield. This can potentially scratch through the paint that is underneath the windshield and the trim around it. This needs to be covered with something such as Betaprime 5504G (primer used for auto glass and body) to ensure rust does not occur. Best option is to have a body shop spray it with a layer of clear or hit the scratches with Rust Bullet Automotive Formula or the Rust Bullet Clear Shot. If you use the Rust Bullet path, it does take a bit of time for it to cure.

4. Watch out of excess windshield glue. When you get your car back, look at the edges from the inside. Make sure that there's no glue that is oozing out. If there is, remove it immediately with a credit card or putty knife. Once this sets, you're going to be a bit screwed.

5. Look for scratches on the hood and fenders. Because the windshield guy/girl is going to be removing the glass, look at the hood and such to make sure they didn't scratch it with tools on their tool belt or if you're in Texas and the tech is wearing one of those HUGE belt buckles, make sure he's not dragging that all over your paint.

6. Look for scratches in the A pillar and the Roof. If there are scratches, those need to be fixed ASAP. A body shop will pull the windshield to paint the roof. This can be a costly fix.

7. Check the windshield wiper alignment. These guys are NOT certified VW techs. They don't carry a service manual not do they look things up. They will most likely just slap your wipers back on. Check to make sure they are aligned properly. If you don't know, just take it to a VW dealership. It's a quick 5 min fix if they are not and a good/nice dealership won't even charge you for it.

8. Drive around with the music OFF. You need to listen to excessive wind noise.

9. Wash your car. Check for leaks on the windshield. If you're going to find a leak, at least have it be clean water and not grimy water that splashed up from the road. To check leakage by the dash, stick a sheet of paper towels along the edge where the glass meets the dash. Any wetness on the paper towels will indicate a leak.

If you have anything to add, post it up and I can add it to the list.

evolve719

Damn, I keep seeing posts on people getting their windshields replaced since VW is using 'soft glass', thanks for the heads up.

Subscribed... Just in case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

dillinger1

Ready to race!
Damn, I keep seeing posts on people getting their windshields replaced since VW is using 'soft glass', thanks for the heads up.

Just got mine replaced with an aftermarket after a large crack. Today I pick it up at the dealership (got rear ended, other repairs as well), check it out and pay, they 'wash' it real quick and the new windshield cracks. No rock chips and it hasn't even left the parking lot.

Will let you know what the company says about HOW it broke so quickly again.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
I don't think the VW glass is any better or worse than my other vehicles? If you're in Texas, there is a huge issue with the various dump trucks and such that refuse to cover their load.

Then there is construction which results in rocks/pebbles everywhere and combine that with the Lookit-me-haul-nothing lifted trucks that refuse to use mudflaps and all of a sudden, there are rock/debris slingers everywhere.

I will say that the 2016 GTI seems to have a different glass than the 2015 though.

LI_GTI_Guy

Ready to race!
I just got a chip that turned into a crack really fast on my 2016. The crack formed way faster than I was expecting....within 10 minutes the chip turned into a 12 inch crack. I was surprised how fast it formed and spread across the bottom part of the windshield. Its scheduled to be replaced Monday by Safelite and hopefully they do a decent job without any of the issues mentioned by the OP.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
I don't think the VW glass is any better or worse than my other vehicles? If you're in Texas, there is a huge issue with the various dump trucks and such that refuse to cover their load.

Then there is construction which results in rocks/pebbles everywhere and combine that with the Lookit-me-haul-nothing lifted trucks that refuse to use mudflaps and all of a sudden, there are rock/debris slingers everywhere.

I will say that the 2016 GTI seems to have a different glass than the 2015 though.
I don't know if VW glass is any better or worse. But what I do know is that the guys that replaced my windshield (I haven't even made the first payment on my car and already replacing a cracked windshield) told me that they replace more windshields on Audi's and VW's than any other vehicles. He didn't know for a fact that Audi/VW windshields are "softer" but he did confirm that windshields from Audi/VW cars give him a lot of business. lol

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I don't know if VW glass is any better or worse. But what I do know is that the guys that replaced my windshield (I haven't even made the first payment on my car and already replacing a cracked windshield) told me that they replace more windshields on Audi's and VW's than any other vehicles. He didn't know for a fact that Audi/VW windshields are "softer" but he did confirm that windshields from Audi/VW cars give him a lot of business. lol
lol that sounds like BS to me from your installers but who knows, I just say this because of all of the cars on the road VW & Audi are very low minority, if that's case MINI should be their # 1 the get crack windshields like crazy and we all know that that's a niche car.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion

every forum will show the same trend, same for turbos blowing, welcome to the forum :D:)

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
lol that sounds like BS to me from your installers but who knows, I just say this because of all of the cars on the road VW & Audi are very low minority, if that's case MINI should be their # 1 the get crack windshields like crazy and we all know that that's a niche car.
I don't know why they would BS me. I didn't even ask them about it. We were just talking and they mentioned to me that they replace an unusually high amount of windshields for VW's and Audi's. Maybe in NY there aren't many VW's and Audi's on the road, but here in L.A./SoCal, there is a decent amount. But hey, you are entitled to your opinion. These guys are independent windshield guys with very good reviews on Yelp (which is why I chose them) and like I said, they just mentioned it on their own during our conversation.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I don't know why they would BS me. I didn't even ask them about it. We were just talking and they mentioned to me that they replace an unusually high amount of windshields for VW's and Audi's. Maybe in NY there aren't many VW's and Audi's on the road, but here in L.A./SoCal, there is a decent amount. But hey, you are entitled to your opinion. These guys are independent windshield guys with very good reviews on Yelp (which is why I chose them) and like I said, they just mentioned it on their own during our conversation.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you or your installer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imtimmy

Ready to race!
I just had the windshield replaced by Safelite, rock chip 3k miles and 2 pellet shots which caused the glass to spiderweb at 5800 miles. I initially took the car into the local Safelite. 30 min. later the tech told me they would have to order the correct oem windshield, rain sensor was in a different place on the one they had even though he said it was VW oem. I made the next appointment for them to come to the house. The mobile tech had told me he had been doing glass repair about 6 months. He had a lil trouble getting the sensor mounting unclipped from glass, was using a small flathead type puller, left the trim piece a tad janky imo. Yes, he kinda rushed the trim pieces on the exterior, I pointed that out to him and he fixed them. I noticed a small scratch on black door trim, which I know I didn't do cuz I wipe the car down like everyday and take extra care not to scratch that area when i wipe it. I'll have to try and buff it out. My biggest concern is that imo the windshield seems like it could be misaligned by about 1/4" from one side to the other. I noticed this after he left and now I know why he had a hard time getting the passenger side exterior trim to fit properly, "to snug." So on the driver side there is a 1/4" gap that is going to bother the heck out of me where the edge of the glass should meet the rubber trim. I think I will contact the Safelite office Monday and see what they say, however after reading so many reviews online idk if they will want to re-do the windshield. I know they are not machines replacing the glass but it's like a new car to me still and bothers me already, also the sensor trim being a little jacked and black door trim scratch. FYI I did read plenty of reviews about Safelite beforehand, but from what I read even if I took it to the dealer that Safelite would still be the ones working on it.

armedferret

Ready to race!
My jetta got 3 windshield replacements in the 6 months and 1 week i spent in texas.

The GTI (before the deer strike) had a couple pretty noticeable (superficial only, praise allah) rock chips. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it needs replacing. And that's the only reason I probably won't have film put on the windshield. I'll just get a sun shield next spring.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Arise!

Yesterday, taking my wife to the Ford dealer to pick up her Escape and its new windshield, what should happen but a little pebble paid my windshield a visit. Ping! At first it was just a little star, and when I got home I called Safelite to schedule a fix (free via my insurance). Then that evening, going to a meeting, it was raining. As soon as the wipers squeegeed over the crack, voila! It grew into a foot long or more crack stretching in two directions from the impact, to the edge of the glass in one direction and to the middle of the glass in the other. Clearly water got in there and there was a fault between the glass layers or something.

So I had to call Safelite and my morning appointment for a repair is now an afternoon appointment for a replacement (and a $200 deductible payment, yay). I just hope they know what they are doing. I had them work on my '12 GTI and they were fine, but you never know.

Chuckable

Ready to race!
Arise!

Yesterday, taking my wife to the Ford dealer to pick up her Escape and its new windshield, what should happen but a little pebble paid my windshield a visit. Ping! At first it was just a little star, and when I got home I called Safelite to schedule a fix (free via my insurance). Then that evening, going to a meeting, it was raining. As soon as the wipers squeegeed over the crack, voila! It grew into a foot long or more crack stretching in two directions from the impact, to the edge of the glass in one direction and to the middle of the glass in the other. Clearly water got in there and there was a fault between the glass layers or something.

So I had to call Safelite and my morning appointment for a repair is now an afternoon appointment for a replacement (and a $200 deductible payment, yay). I just hope they know what they are doing. I had them work on my '12 GTI and they were fine, but you never know.

Now is a good time to replace the trim if yours isn't in good shape. Might as well.