GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windshield Recalibration

SpaCeDust

Passed Driver's Ed
So about a week ago my windshield got cracked and I'm getting it fixed through my insurance. Thing is that I have automatic headlights/wipers, and Geico told me the system would need recalibration once the new windshield is put in. Onto my question, is it really necessary to do the recalibration? Bc went to the dealer yesterday and they quoted me $280+tax which seems a bit excessive. Or are there cheaper ways to deal w this?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Doesn't your insurance cover it? If not, try to make sure the windshield is placed as close to the original position as possible. Then drive it, it might be OK. Even if insurance pays for it, who wants to bother with a dealer.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Same as KevinC.

I did not recalibrate anything after replacing two windshields on my previous GTI.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I bought my GTI from Carvana and they replaced the windshield when it was in their possession. I highly doubt they calibrated anything and both the auto headlights and wipers work fine.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
If you use all original VW glass and they replace the jelly pad between the sensor and glass (which they should) and it a quality job, no need to any recalibration.
Mine worked fine but my glass shop does lots of VW's and knew what to do.

SpaCeDust

Passed Driver's Ed
Its getting replaced by Safeflight repair or however they’re called. I imagine they know what they’re doing so we’ll see. The dealer appointment isn't for a couple of days later so i can wait and see how’s the new windshield working.
On a seperate note, any FL users? What’d you do w the sunpass sticker? Remove and stick on new windshield or just bought a new one?

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I had my MK7 GTI's front windshield replaced twice. Once with aftermarket glass which did not fit right, then a week later with OEM glass. Neither time the car needed recalibration. Work was done by Safelite and the young guy did a good job.. well, he tried to wipe the a-pillar down with a wet paper towel after the work so I had to stop him.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Its getting replaced by Safeflight repair or however they’re called. I imagine they know what they’re doing so we’ll see.

Safelite did the first windshield replacement in my '16, OEM glass, and COMPLETELY screwed the pooch - excessive sealant oozing out from the edges, rain sensor not replaced properly and inoperative, greasy fingerprints around the sensor and camera on the glass, etc. Had to get the rain sensor properly reinstalled and mess cleaned up afterwards. Never again. Safelite has some good techs, some bad. Far too many bad reviews out there for me to ever take a chance again.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So about a week ago my windshield got cracked and I'm getting it fixed through my insurance. Thing is that I have automatic headlights/wipers, and Geico told me the system would need recalibration once the new windshield is put in. Onto my question, is it really necessary to do the recalibration? Bc went to the dealer yesterday and they quoted me $280+tax which seems a bit excessive. Or are there cheaper ways to deal w this?
Do you have the Lane Assist camera?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
So my wipers dont work, just after safelite came through to replace my windshield. Anyone know anything i can do to recalibrate them?