GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windscreen wipers motor control unit broken on MK7

Thomas991

Car(s)
Vw golf
Hi,

I’m wondering if anyone can help. I just went to a VW garage as my windscreen wipers no longer work. They said that it was the motor control unit that was broken. Has anyone else had similar issues previously? And does anyone know how difficult it will be to replace this myself?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance
Thomas

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
@Thomas991: "how difficult" when removing/installing car parts really depends on lots of stuff!!!

Maybe start your consideration of DIY by reading HERE

Don

Thomas991

Car(s)
Vw golf
@DV52 thanks for your message.

I was going to replace the whole wiper assembly which I believe just has one one plug and three bolts holding it in. This is because it’s not the motor that has broken. It’s the control unit.

Do you have any experience or know of any articles which would help with this?

Thanks bro

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
@DV52 thanks for your message.

I was going to replace the whole wiper assembly which I believe just has one one plug and three bolts holding it in. This is because it’s not the motor that has broken. It’s the control unit.

Do you have any experience or know of any articles which would help with this?

Thanks bro
hmm...... not exactly sure that I understand what you mean by "it's the control unit"?

Are you referring to J400 (see my wiring diagram below)? If so, how did you determine that J400 was faulty? And in any event, J400 is integrated into the wiper motor housing - so you will still need to remove the motor body. Also, I'm not sure that a new J400 can be purchased as a separate component (happy to be proved wrong).

Or, do you mean J519 (this is called the "Body Control Module" -BCM)? If so and again, how did you determine that J519 is faulty? In the set-up shown in my wiring diagram, the BCM is the master module for the LIN communication wire connected to pin #30, socket B on J519.

The BCM on a MQB platform car like your Golf mk7 is a key module - it has 3 x large sockets with many, many, many connected wires (see below).

Importantly for your purpose, replacing the BCM is NOT a trivial exercise -and it's not a task that can be completed without a visit to the dealer (to clear Component Protection errors) !!

Have you checked the fuse as suggested by @mr-fix in his earlier response?

Don

Last edited: